Monday, October 31, 2022

Goodbye Halloween, Hello Christmas

Judging by the Christmas tree and reindeer I saw during yesterday’s trip to the mall, I guess we’re skipping Thanksgiving altogether this year, jumping ahead to Christmas.



Jumping ahead my own darn self, I pronounced my holiday shopping as "Done!" when I walked out of Starbucks with a gift card for Trainer and the Mail Carrier, to be given out when I get ready to leave for the Thanksgiving holiday.

Making my way to the sporting goods store, though not feeling uncomfortable, I was very cognizant of the fact that, as the only Black female in the crowded store, I stood out like a sore thumb.


The place was the Disneyland of sporting goods stores, with an upstairs and a downstairs, no clerks or helpful salesmen in sight. So, as I roamed around looking for walking poles, while enjoying the country music festival vibe, I’d assumed every security camera in the place was focused on me.

The fun vibe of the store began even before I entered with the footprint of bears leading to the door and antlers as doorknobs.




Upstairs was a Shoot’n Range, which brought back the memory of having been here before — back in 2007 when this sporting goods store first opened in the area.


My oldest grandson (about 10 years old at that time and who is now in ICU fighting for his life after being seriously injured when a car struck his motorcycle) was visiting his aunt (Twin 2) who was living in the area at that time. I’d taken the afternoon off from work to kick it with grandson and we’d ended up checking out the new sporting goods store because I’d read they had a rock-climbing wall.

I remember that I most definitely did feel uncomfortable during that visit. Grandson and I both stood out like sore thumbs, and it wasn’t nearly as crowded as it is now.

He never tried out the rock-climbing wall, but we both spent quite a bit of time playing with the rifles at the shoot’n range.

It wasn’t free — didn’t get close enough to see if it is now, but back then the machine took $1 bills per so many shots.

I wanted to try my hand at the rifle yesterday, but the gallery looked to be the most popular place in the store, so I passed, found the walking poles — which I’ll probably be returning for cash back, as they only had the one middle of the road in price, off brand type, which I can’t get to lock.

Remainder of the time, I roamed around taking photos while enjoying the country music.

I’ll bet the folks monitoring the video cameras thought I was some kind of photo taking geek (which I am) or a BLM spy casing the joint.


Skillet Candle

No shortage of Moon Pies, Yuk!

This mural is the door to the elevator.


Elevator has a glass wall that looks out over the store and into the fishpond.



Not pictured is the Candy Corn concession that was calling my name. I walked away before I hurt myself by indulging.

10 comments:

  1. That's sad news about your oldest grandson. I hope he makes it and gets the health care and rehab he will need after such a terrible accident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Family said he was doing better for a while there, but I've had a bad feeling since the accident happened.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, prayers said for your grandson's recovery! Your store tour was interesting. I've taken wheelchair-bound patients to such stores just to look around at outdoor stuff while being indoors. A whole tower of Moon Pies! I need banana ones, NOW! A neighborhood Dollar Store sometimes has miniature ones. Yum Yum. (Not for athletic folks like you, right.) Linda in Kansas, Land of Oz, home to Good and Bad Witches, Flying Monkeys and Munchkins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wasn't the only moon pie display. They were all over the place. Thank you for the prayers.

      Delete
  3. I refuse to go straight to Christmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I won't be putting up any Xmas decorations until after Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  4. Doesn't sound like the most pleasant of experiences, and I usually blend in in places like that. Just another white guy. I hope you two-stepped all 'round the store for those surveillance cameras. Thinking good thoughts for your grandson. May you soon go shootin' together again. (I can't believe I said that.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It ain't easy being a redneck in a Black woman's body.

      Delete
  5. Oh God no way can I go in that store that would drive me nuts. And I love Christmas but I don't want to see any Christmas at least till the first week of December. And I should know better cuz I've worked in retail most of my life. But the General Public likes to enjoy each season and holiday individually I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On top of this ... the Christmas baking shows begins on Monday, rather than Thanksgiving cooking competitions.

      Delete