Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Check Yes or No

So, this was on my ballot.


It’s insane.

Say we secede from the State of California and then what?

Shirleyville is out of the question because I don’t want the responsibility.

Hopefully, the voters will decide we don’t need any more needless trauma and vote the measure down, but who knows.

At any rate, the Mail Ballot Voting Instructions were to share my voting experience on social media by taking a Mail Ballot Selfie with the "I voted By Mail" sticker and ballot envelope.

I forgot the sticker but the envelope alone should be enough to say "I voted By Mail".


Wasting time on TikTok last night, Michael Cohen’s latest rant popped up.

I didn’t find what he had to say very interesting ─ nothing we haven’t heard before about No. 45’s misdeeds and what should happen to him, but I loved what Cohen was wearing.


Did I track down where the shirt came from and buy it?

Of course, I did. How could I not.

Mildred’s Day 17 challenge: "A song you’d sing a duet with someone on karaoke", takes me back to my first karaoke experience.

The law firm’s annual Christmas Party was one year held at a venue called The All Star Country Hollywood.

Right up my alley.

I even remember what I wore — jeans, boots, and a western shirt with fringe.

The after-dinner entertainment was us.

Someone came around to the tables with a book of songs, and we’d pick which song we wanted to get on the stage and sing along with.

Coming into my own power back then, feeling myself, I chose a song that personified the hardened heart I'd become, the respect I insisted on and essentially sang a duet with Shania Twain.


Leaving the event end of evening, we were greeted with the sight of an attorney’s wife slumped and spread eagle passed out drunk in a chair by the exit door.

I’d heard rumors that the wife was an alcoholic — I’d assumed she became one because living with him, judging by the way he carried himself in the office, had to be tough going.

A few weeks later, while on a day off, I got a call from a coworker that the wife had died.

"Did he kill her?" asked I, because homicide had seriously been my initial thought.

The story was that, in a drunken state, she somehow perished in a house fire.

The husband didn’t seem to mourn her. Instead, he appeared happiest I'd ever seen and had himself a girlfriend pretty quick.

So, who knows.

17 comments:

  1. My "go to" karaoke songs for singing with others are "Stop! In the Name of Love" and "Ring of Fire."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Stop! In the Name of Love" works for me, too. ANYTHING by The Supremes would be my go-to!
    Wow! That was some story about that attorney's wife. No wonder she was an alcoholic. Sounds like he moved on at the speed of sound! Are you aware of his whereabouts these days? Is he still alive? Thanks for that interesting story.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll wager it's not just you and Debra that prefer the Supreme's song for karaoke. As I recall, three coworkers got up and sang that one on the night I mentioned. As for that attorney, I can still see his face, the smug look he always had, but can't remember his name. No idea whatever happened to him, whether still alive or dead.

      Delete
  3. Succeed!??!! Why would a county want to do that? Financially alone it would spell disaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riiiiight! And I'm sure California doesn't care if we end up losing what funding we're currently getting by becoming a sovereign city.

      Delete
  4. "succeed from the State of California"? What bunch of twits put that on the ballot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously!! I almost can't believe it's not a joke.

      Delete
  5. Ballot Measure EE is ridiculous. San Bernardino County would secede from the State of California. Dear goddess! As for Michael Cohen, I don't care that he's supposedly on our side now, he was a liar and an enabler for too many years for me to care what he thinks. But I do like the T-shirt. I have never done karaoke. Maybe my first should be Shania Twain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any Man of Mine would be a hoot for you to sing at karaoke.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Supposedly, she passed out drunk with a cigarette in her hand, which started the fire. Seeing the way she passed out at the party, it's possible. On the other hand, the Agatha Christie in me says he could have encouraged her to drink herself into a stupor at the party so we'd all see how drunk she could get and would buy the cigarette story.

      Delete
  7. It seems the ballot description is what elected officials are supposed to do: consider options. But NOT leave the state. Cute how they combined that into one question. Kansas has 2 amendments on the ballot, both seem to be sneaky ways to permit officials to change the constitution as desired, a sneaky way around the fact that Kansas voted NOT to change the constitution in order to protect abortion. Haven't seen any political ad or story about it, the 2 amendments just appeared! The county Democrat office said to vote NO. I voted early in person. I voted for rain also: we got 2 days of rain. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  8. The whole ballot was a lot of double talk and sneaky tactics. This is why I only voted the two times I HAD TO. First to get rid of No. 45 and now to vote down this measure.

    ReplyDelete