Sunday, October 23, 2022

The Agony and the Ecstasy

The Ecstasy is I was a finisher at this morning's 5K.


The Agony was getting to the finish line.

I was doing fine until we got to the steep inclines at Mile 2, where my back began to ache, the muscles in my legs stiffened and I could barely walk.

My struggle was noticeable because I got encouragement from other walkers and those sitting on the sidelines — "You got this mama" … "Almost there" … "You can do it".

I have no idea where I placed in the race, because the computers were down. I’ll have to wait until everything gets tabulated and results go online.

There were a few hiccups on the part of the organizers.

When I went out early to check the start location, it was about a half-a-mile from where it usually is.

When I went back down at race time, they were in the process of moving and setting up the start location at its usual site.


A new guy on the microphone, as the regular guy sadly passed away of cancer a few weeks ago, failed to call which race was up .... and there were four (1/2 mile marathon, 10K Run, 5K Run, 5K Walk) not the three I previously mentioned; five if you count the Wag and Walk doggie race.

With not the proper call on which race was up, most of us went rogue and just took off with the 5K Runners.

Also, Mile 3 seemed extra specially long, so I'm not at all sure the race organizers didn't make a mistake there as well. My step counter registered 12,936 steps for the morning, which is a lot more than I usually get on a 5K and checking out sights after.

Plus, of course, the Result Computers were not working.

I did glance at the clock as I crossed the finish line, thought I saw around 58:35. If I read that correctly, after all the training I’ve done, that’s not much of an improvement over last year’s 1:03:49. Especially since some teen ran the course in 18 minutes.

It’s got to be an age thing.

I didn’t have to worry about it being too hot. In fact, it was an ice cold windy 55 degrees on package pickup day, and 55 degrees without the wind on race day — which felt just right once I warmed up on the course.

I’m now stiff, sore, my back aches and I’m telling myself never again, because I've never felt this bad after in previous years; but I had so much fun that I’ll train on higher inclines, try again next year.

Package Pickup Day





This Knight offered to Knight me if I took a vow to God.

I'm completely comfortable with my concept of what God is, so I passed on a vow to whatever his concept is.

He then offered to make me a Templar.

Asking what's involved in being a Templar, he rattled off:

1) Believe in God.

I do, but not the Santa Claus in the sky God who grants your every wish if you pray hard enough.

2) A Templar must always do good.

I'm not perfect, but I don't do anything really really bad. Nothing that will create negative Karma for myself.

3) Stand strong in the face of enemies.

You know I already do if you've been reading this blog.

4) Help Others.

I think I do pretty well in that area as well, so I told him I'm already a Knight Templar.

He made it official.

Race Day



Unlike previous years when most all the homes along the course were decorated for Halloween, I only saw two.

It didn't appear the first home put much effort into decorating, so I passed on a photo.

Decorations on the second home — pretty much the same as last year, put the rest of the neighborhood to shame.





Print on the second poster is difficult to make out on the photo, but it says "I'm sure it sounded like a good idea 4 months ago".

True that!

Dickens Society booth


Lovely costumes. However, upon closer inspection, looks more like the Plantation owners of days gone by, which begs the question ... did Charles Dickens keep slaves?




Day 14: A song you’d love to be played at your wedding.

ME? … get married again?

Should I lose my mind, get married again, it will be the end, so …………


18 comments:

  1. Good on you, and enjoy the ecstasy because I think it outweighs the agony!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 55 degrees sounds like a perfect temp to do a race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAY cool! Nice run. Your time DID improve! And you were knighted! Maybe you can be England's next Prime Minister, or sit at the table with Sir McCartney! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a friend who used to say “But, it’s a nice hurt.” He was talking about something else. You are stunning and awesome. Who knows? Maybe next year will be easier and less painful. You look a hell of a lot better than your two friends at Stone Church Brewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on completing your 5K, although the race sounds very poorly organized this year. Next year will be better, hopefully. I like all your photos from the race too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my third time doing this 5K, which has been a historical race for 40 years. Thus, it's a mystery as to why so many screwups this time around .... that is unless new organizers have taken over.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! You looked Good so it doesn't matter where you Placed while making a Marathon Look Good GF. *Winks* Liked the Decorations for those who were in the Spirit to do it. Laughed at the whole Knighting Thing, so Funny to me when some Religions just want you to Parrot something they Believe and poof, now you're allegedly Godly... takes more than that and so many of the Uber Religious tend to not Walk it out so much as they Talk it out as if that is impressing anyone. In the Crazy 2016 Election and beyond, it was the Religiously Extreme that lined up with some real Devils, which was very Telling that they couldn't tell the difference, I find that Interesting. It proved to me that the alleged Moral Majority ain't Moral nor a Majority. *Bwahahahaha*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a Templar, I should change the Ms in front of my name to "Sir".

      Delete
  7. I love that you enjoy these events so much! You really get into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why Virtual 5Ks no longer interest me. There's just too much to see, do, experience at live events.

      Delete
  8. Congrats!
    I'll never get married again either.
    I love seeing costumes and houses decorated but we hardly see any of that around here anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not seeing much decorating around here either this year. Shame because it brightens the mood of the decorator and those who walk by and get a lift from seeing it.

      Delete