Monday, October 24, 2022

Glitch in the Matrix

Another snafu from Sunday’s 5K.

The race organizers sent us their congratulations on a "Great event, it was an amazing weekend", but "Due to technical difficulties, we missed a few of your finish times".

"A FEW"!!!!!!?????

From what I can tell, when the start line was located at the wrong spot, those racers (the ½ milers) got their results recorded.

However, every race that went after the start was relocated to the correct spot, our results were not recorded.

Tracking works though the magic of radio frequency identification (RFID). There is an RFID reader embedded in a mat on the ground at the start point, and a RFID chip on back of our bibs. As we pass the RFID ground reader, data from the chip is sent to a computer indicating our bib number, time we crossed the reader heading out, time we crossed the reader coming back in.

Thinking perhaps they failed to lay the RFID ground reader after relocating the start, I looked through the photos I’d taken and found one that shows the reader had been placed.


What looks like a blue and pink line is actually the raised mat of the reader.

It was where it should have been.

Consequently, logic tells me the RFID ground reader had not been properly reconnected after the start was moved.

At any rate, snafu on top of snafu on top of snafu, multiple glitches in the matrix, is not the end of the world, just darned irritating.

Whoever they contracted with to run this year’s event needs to be replaced as thousands of us are inconvenienced.

Mildred’s Day 15 challenge is "A song you like that’s a cover by another artist".

Lots of that happening, the covering of someone else's work.

Back in the day, it was more stealing than covering, as quite a few artists got famous on the back of music originally created and sung by Black artists who were never given credit nor paid for their music.

Covering is more civilized these days with credit forthcoming.

After two Epsom salt soaks in the tub, my leg muscles have relaxed, so I made it to this morning’s workout, but the back is still out of whack in spite of soaks, various ointments and heat pads.

When Trainer asked how I was feeling after yesterday’s inclines, I said "I hurt", so we worked on lifting/stretching motions, and I left the cave with my back still aching but loosening somewhat.

Another day or two and I’ll be recovered, ready to go again.

In the interim, this feeling of hurt has led me to a song I like that’s a cover, actually a tribute to the original artist, by another artist.

Though Johnny Cash’s hurt was not for the same reason as mine, "Hurt" as covered by Nine Inch Nails seems fitting for this challenge.


13 comments:

  1. That's the pits. It's not as if it was everyone's first time around the track. Glad you did it and had a good time despite their screw ups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This race is so popular that I doubt it will have an impact on folks registering for next year, but someone's head is gonna roll for the mess that was made this year.

      Delete
  2. Epsom salts are a miracle for aches and pains, aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you weren’t thrilled with your time but I’m impressed. The tracking snafu is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks 👍 and yes, snafu was ridiculous and preventable.

      Delete
  4. Boo to the people who screwed up the race timings!

    I love the Johnny Cash version of "Hurt". You can really feel the pain in his voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not even Nine Inch Nails can sing it with the emotions Johnny put into it.

      Delete
  5. Wow, that running event seems like a series of unfortunate events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those of us that didn't get results, should get some kind of freebee reward.

      Delete
  6. I don't remember Hurt but I do like this Nine Inch Nail version. I'm going to go back and find Johnny version. I love this Music memory lane. Music brings back so many memories - including being younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look up Nine Inch Nail's version. Hadn't heard of that one.

      Delete
    2. Looked it up. HATED IT! They so butchered the son that couldn't listen to more than minute.

      Delete