Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Last Call for Halloween

Yesterday being last call for Halloween, I wore my skeleton leggings to that morning’s workout.

Patio lights were turned on for the last time and today is put everything back in storage day.

It was a fun display while it lasted, only one of a handful of others. That is if you don’t count Painted Rock Lady’s display, which only went up last Wednesday.


"Why now, why so late with Halloween just days away", asked I when I saw her setting up.

She didn’t have a good answer, other than there not being a contest this year.

Whatever.

Her next-door neighbor then made an effort to get in the spirit by putting up a display — if you can even call it a display.


Red Light put her display up in a timely manner, but it was just a wink and a nod to Halloween compared to her last year’s display, which won her first prize in the decorating contest.


Two others got in the spirit without there being a contest.



Then there was the cute little Dalmatian I spotted yesterday afternoon, as he stopped by to show grandma his costume.


My pumpkin held up very well — no rotting, attracted no pests.

Pity to toss it in the dumpster.

I thought about sneaking it onto the college campus for the squirrels to have at, even offered the pumpkin to the Baker to make pies.

She says she’s buying her pies these days, rather than bake from scratch, and campus security would probably catch me in the process and lock my arse up, so to the dumpster it is with the pumpkin.

The skeleton cowboys are staying put as an all-year-round display and, while at the market, I saw another skeleton I could not resist.


This skeleton very much resembles Jane, the Lead Attorney I'd blogged about as being one of three female attorneys who made my working life miserable.

The skeleton carries that same haughty stance as Jane AND even the boney leg peeking out from a slit in the skirt reminds me of the day she wore a skirt to the office that had a slit up the side. Erroneously thinking she looked sexy, she walked around sticking her boney leg out to show the slit off.

She only wore that skirt once, so I imagine she got the message how ridiculous we all thought she looked.

A subsequent visit to the market brought home a sister to sit beside that skeleton.


In the throes of an obsession with skeletons, I would have taken this guy home as well, except he was a display, not for sale.


Yesterday was Day 22 of Mildred’s 30 Songs in 30 Days Competition — "A song that moves you forward".

My long deceased ex-husband tried to trap me in the marriage by attacking my sense of self. Telling me that no other man would want me and I couldn’t make it on my own without him.

Thinking to myself that if no other man wants me, I don't want you!, I managed to escape him and, not only did I attract more than my fair share of male suitors thereafter, but I supported myself and my babies with no help from him.

Now a senior, fortunate enough to still attract male attention — albeit unwanted attention, living on my own, paying my own bills, making my own entertainment, there are too many songs celebrating the independent forward moving woman; but the one that's like a slap in the face to insecure men who try to hold women back by telling them they can't make it without them is one by Runaway Jane that makes me LOL and think of my ex rotting in his grave while I'm still out here doing my thing.

It also makes me think of when my neighbor Handsome Man made his pitch for our hooking up by saying it would make things easier for the both of us.

I was thinking easier how? inasmuch as I'm not lonely or having a problem supporting myself.


Today’s challenge is "A song you think everybody should listen to".

Edwin Starr told us what we needed to hear back in 1970, but inasmuch as there’s one going on now and a possibility we’ll be drawn into it if things go nuclear, Starr’s warning bears repeating.


12 comments:

  1. I like those two skelly figurines you bought -- so elegantly attired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those Dias de los Muertos skeletons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had a few gentlemen skeletons out, but they aren't as elegant looking as the lady ones.

      Delete
  3. I would start collecting those skeletons, too. Did you ASK if they wanted to sell the store display?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't think to ask. Just assumed came as part of that beer display.

      Delete
  4. Once our pumpkins are done, we have several farms that will take them for the sheep and goats to feed on, or I take them into the woods and let the deer have at them. Your display I believe was hands down the best toots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the boney kneed skeleton; the other is certainly showing lots of boney cleavage! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one is named Henrietta, after the other psychotic attorney who always dressed stiff and formal like a lady, but was crazy as a loon.

      Delete
  6. I wonder about any woman wearing a slit skirt to work and pooching out a boney leg. I recognize the VooDoo Ranger, he's from my town :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she was trying to look sexy, it was gonna take a lot more than a slit in her skirt. I didn't know that skeleton was a popular figure. I looked up the term "Voodoo Ranger" and he has action figures. Probably would have cost a fortune to buy off the display.

      Delete