Saturday, November 12, 2022

I Got Nothing

After blogging consecutively for 30 days due to the song challenge, it’s been radio silence from me.

A lot of old memories — some good, some traumatic, rose to the surface as a result of meeting those daily song challenges, which made for some good blog fodder but, when all was said and done, drained me.

So, I’ve got nothing. Just checking in to let everyone know I’m still alive.

Still alive also is the grandson who was in ICU fighting for his life after being seriously injured when a car struck his motorcycle.

He's fortunate to still have all his limbs, his brain functions and, after weeks in ICU, has been cleared to move to rehab.

It was touch and go there for a while, and though I foresaw the worse, had emotionally prepared myself for the worse, I’m relieved for his mom (Twin 1) that the worse did not happen because she could not have handled it, but I don’t mind saying I am damn mad.

Mad because my philosophy on motorcycles is not IF you have an accident, but WHEN — and usually through no fault of your own, other than the bad judgment of purchasing a motorcycle in the first place, but because of those driving cars.

Having seen first hand and read about what happens to families left with the consequences of damage done to a member after a car vs motorcycle incident, it just makes me angry that, because grandson chose a motorcycle, not only his life has changed, but the life of his family members as he is not alone in dealing with the aftermat. His mom, sister, brothers, aunt are now also stuck with the consequences of what needs to be done for him now and in the future.

So, there’s that.

It felt good to wake up yesterday morning to not repeat "OH NO!", as I did last Friday when I realized it was a bingo Friday, because yesterday was a no bingo Friday.

Consequently, after yesterday’s workout, I was able to run errands, take care of business.

My next interaction with anyone around here won't be until Tuesday’s Thankful Celebration, hosted by management — pie and hot apple cider.

Of course, I won’t be eating or drinking, just observing, waiting to see/hear what management is up to.

Last time I was at Sprouts, I did see a gluten free pumpkin pie I was tempted to try.

Looking before I leaped and made myself sick, I researched whether pumpkin is good for people with gut issues and find that at 1/3 of a cup, pumpkin is considered safe. At 1/2 a cup the types of carbs in pumpkin may cause those sensitive to those specific carbs to experience digestive problems.

I dunno if it’s worth the risk as I’m not desperate for sweets, especially since I discovered Delicata Squash.


I cut off the ends, scoop out the seeds, slice them in rings, toss in olive oil, sprinkle with cinnamon and stevia, roast and that’s my pie with a cup of coffee.

I’ll leave you with a funny meme I saw on facebook.


10 comments:

  1. So glad about your grandson and I’m with you when it comes to motorcycles. I’ve known too many people killed or permanently disabled to ever want one myself -- no matter how cool the clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trainer lost a long-time friend to being hit by a car as both were turning into a gas station about 3 months ago. He left behind a wife and new baby. Driver not charged as witnesses said Trainer's friend was hot dogging it into the station. Motorcycle never a good idea, especially so if you have a wife and new baby depending on you.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I didn't know about your grandson. Sorry to hear, and I agree about the danger of motorcycles. No such thing as a "minor" motorcycle accident, and traffic in general seems to get more dangerous every day. Hoping the best for him in rehab and for the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't talk about it much on the blog, and thanks for the good wishes.

      Delete
  3. Does your motorcycle riding grandson wear a helmet? Missouri recently dropped that requirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that he did have all his gear on is probably why he's still alive. Full of metal rods now, but alive.

      Delete
  4. Soooo glad grandson is able to get to rehab. Not much good about motorcycles. The squash looks cool. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delicata is a tasty substitute when craving sugar.

      Delete