Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Raindrops Falling on My Head

Is it too soon to declare the drought in California as over?

Asking for a friend, because I woke up middle of the night to the sound of rain drops hitting the roof.

It’s been steady raining since, so maybe the occasional rain we’re beginning to get, after such a long dry spell, signals the end of the drought.

So glad I wasn’t lazy and got the Halloween decorations back in storage before rain I did not expect created a wet sloppy mess, but I wish I’d not been too lazy to retrieve my umbrella(s) from the trunk of the car.

I’ve got three of them and somehow all three ended up in the trunk of the car, making it difficult to get to the car for this morning's workout in a dry state.

Oh well.

This month’s activity calendar was posted to our door late yesterday afternoon. Too late to see a craft session was on the calendar that day … "Thanksgiving inspired craft, 3:00 – 4:00".

The Baker texted earlier that morning to say she’d been in contact with Activity Director and was told there was to be a craft session.

So, though I didn’t get the calendar in time to decide if I wanted to participate, I did have advance notice. Which advance notice I decided to ignore, get busy doing nothing, so I could say I got busy and forgot because Activity Director’s crafts are generally cheap little Dollar Store things that I end up tossing after creating. Not worth the time or energy.

Also on the calendar is a Thankful Celebration on the 15th hosted by management.

Management is beginning to scare me with this having no concern for entertaining us for years and years and years, now all of a sudden there’s a Luau, then a Pumpkin Painting/Costume event, and now "Come to the Community Room to celebrate Thanksgiving with a slice of pie and some hot apple cider".

They raised the rent after the first event, were pushing the Hospice they’re partnering with at the last event, so maybe this time it’ll be a Funeral Home, as I can’t believe management will ever do anything without some kind of ulterior motive.

Stay tuned.

Feeling exhausted and stressed last week and a half, I’d been going to bed very early, missed a lot of my regular TV shows but had the recorder going.

Catching up last night, watching the latest and last Halloween Cookie Competition, I saw something I couldn’t believe the competitor did, being as how we’re still somewhat in a pandemic. Not to mention, it was a nasty thing to do even before it became dangerous.



Did you see what she did?

Did you catch what I think is unsafe to do in the atmosphere we now live.

If you didn’t catch it ...... to help the icing dry just a little faster, she blew on the cookie.

The two judges later picked that cookie from her display, split it and both judges ate a piece.

They must have enjoyed the taste of the competitor’s DNA because she won.

My gut being so sensitive that I can only eat what I cook is a pain to deal with, but it’s things like this that make me see my condition as more a blessing than a curse.

Mildred’s Day 24 challenge is "A song by a band you wish were still together".

The Doobie Brothers, hands down, because I loved the soulful sound of Michael McDonald’s voice, not to mention he was devastatingly handsome.


Michael went on to have a successful solo career and became ever more drop dead handsome with age.


18 comments:

  1. Oh my god... The Doobie Brothers!!!

    I did NOT miss what she did to that cookie and I can’t believe she didn’t get called on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to mention touching her hair, to get it out of the way, and then touching the cookie.

      Delete
  2. If the Thanksgiving bash promotes a funeral home, they better include cremation options too. Bleh on blowing on the food....imbedded covid cooties! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested in a cremation presentation. There's the new compost kinda thing, which I'd prefer over cremation, but it won't be available for 7 more years.

      Delete
    2. If you want the ultimate in skinny-dipping, cremations via burial at sea is an option too! Linda in land-locked Kansas

      Delete
    3. No thanks to being dropped into oceans of water. I'd rather cremation or the updated version of Soylent Green ... the compost option.

      Delete
  3. "it was a nasty thing to do" We don't even blow out candles on birthday cakes anymore. We use a piece of cardboard and fan out the flames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a thriving cookie business, but if she'll do this on national television, I'd hate to see what hygiene lapses go on in her kitchen.

      Delete
  4. "...this time it’ll be a Funeral Home...", omg, wouldn't put it past them.
    Doobie Brothers! Brings back nice memories. And yes, Michael's looking good, thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Michael McDonald and the Doobie Brothers. My favorite part of Romancing the Stone was while they were in the plane and Michael Douglas was reading a paper and said something like damn the Doobie Brothers broke up. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remembered that scene when I was downloading the song. It was the only thing I remember from that movie because it was so funny.

      Delete
  6. Hey, speaking of baking shows, I see that Jesse's back as the host of the upcoming Holiday Baking Championship on the Food Network -- yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe she hasn't got her hair tied up let alone blowing on the cake! Michael certainly looks dishy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She wasn't the only competitor allowed to add hair to the frosting or in the mix. No one had their hair in a net or tied up. I guess everyone is more interested in looking good on TV, rather than practicing good kitchen hygiene.

      Delete
  8. I always thought Michael had the prettiest eyes.
    This is why I don't eat out or other people's food all that often. You just never know what is getting into your food if you don't make it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, one can get lost in Michael's eyes. Those samples some stores give out aren't safe either. There was that time they found out the guy giving out samples of yogurt had mixed his semen into the yogurt.

      Delete