Monday, November 7, 2022

I’d Like to Speak to the Manager


Preparing to get out of bed this morning, my hand landed on something sharp. It didn’t stick me, just felt sharp.

Having recently replaced my denim quilt with a new denim quilt, because the old one had become somewhat faded by sun seeping through the bedroom window, knowing the new quilt had a polyester fill, I’d assumed that maybe one of the decorative accent pillows that came with the quilt had been filled with feathers and the end of one of the feathers had poked me.

If you’re familiar with those feather filled decorative accent pillow types, it’s not unusual to feel the tip of a feather poking though fabric. Because my practice is to pull those feathers out by the tip and discard, I tried to pull out and discard whatever was poking me.

It wasn’t budging.

Turning on the light to get a look at what I had ahold of, I could see the tip of whatever was not poking out from a pillow but from the quilt itself.

Getting a firm grip, I pulled and I pulled and I pulled and, as I was pulling, a long white strand of something I didn’t identify at first began to appear.

What the hell is this? thought I to myself thinking it was some kind of cord and I was destroying the structure of the quilt.

Taking focus off the long white strand, putting focus on what I’d grasped and pulled on, I realized it was a needle, which made the long white strand some kind of thread.


I remember once reading about disgruntled auto workers leaving sandwiches, etc., in the engine of cars being put together on the assembly line, but I can't imagine leaving sewing equipment in the quilt was deliberate but rather a seamstress losing track, so I got the scissors and salvaged the needle because it’s a good strong quilting needle I might can use in the future.

But WOW! — A quilt, two matching pillowcases, two decorative accent pillows AND a quilting needle — what a deal!

In other news, would somebody win the Powerball already!

Now up to $1.9 billion, I’ll be buying more tickets this morning, but the lottery officials need to come up with a solution to the obscene amount of money in the pot and come up with a solution soon.

Mildred’s challenge today (Day 29) is "A song you remember from childhood".

Other than the song from the Mickey Mouse Club, I honestly don’t recall a single song from childhood. There was no music in the home.

Don’t ask me why, because I don’t know other than mom was one of those overly religious (i.e., hypocrite) types.

My earliest memory of music was when, in my teens, my Aunt Faye — who was much more hip and fun than mom, gifted me with a Johnny Mathis album.

So, to meet the challenge — and maybe because the name of the song will bring me luck when I pop into the liquor store for more lottery tickets, I submit Chances Are by Johnny Mathis.


18 comments:

  1. Don't you know?: That's a needle sent from the country or county that made the quilt to poke into your #45 voodoo doll. They're trying to help us! Got my tix this morning. The 3 times a week draw isn't friendly to my budget. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH! That's a great idea for the needle. Consider it done.

      Delete
  2. That was a rude awakening! I've heard of a needle in a haystack but a needle in a quilt? Actually, that probably makes more sense than being in a haystack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Auto workers would put the old glass soda bottles in the doors so you would have this occasional rattle that took forever to find.
    They would also intentionally damage cars on the line so the repair crews at the end of the line would have work to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabotage! They must have really hated their jobs.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful song sung beautifully! I have always loved it The needle story is wild. I remember years ago hearing about a woman who bought a coat( I think at K Mart) and found a live snake in the lining.
    re the Lottery, I do wish they would reach a certain number and then divide it so more people would get to win, less money but more fun,
    JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A live snake!!!! Holy Moley. I'll take a needle over a snake any day.

      Delete
  5. So nice they didn’t charge extra for that quilting needle. Truly free gifts are so rare. (But glad you didn’t get seriously hurt.) I was 3 when Chances Are came out. I remember it playing on the radio. Still love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I am that it was a needle and not a snake, like mentioned in JanF's comment, or any other kind of creature. That's pretty amazing that you can remember music you heard at age 3.

      Delete
    2. I have a very unusual memory. But ask me where I put the scissors and you might be out luck.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. For sure, not something I've ever experienced before.

      Delete
  7. A sewing needle AND extra thread. Luck is in the air, go get that lottery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you didn't get hurt with that Needle and indeed it was likely just a misplacement by the Quilt Maker. Great Voodoo Doll sticking Tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't complain about a needle, when you are dealing with scorpions. Eeek!

      Delete
  9. Chances Are. YES. I think I have a Johnny Mathis Christmas album packed away. Hope I find it.

    ReplyDelete