Friday, July 1, 2022

Senior Drivers

Realizing today is the start of the 4th of July weekend, it occurred to me I probably shouldn’t drive out of the area as people will be driving fast, furious, inebriated today through Monday.

My plan was to play it safe — stay within the two-block range encompassing the Pain Cave and the Market and, in fact, it crossed my mind I should probably walk to this morning’s workout.

Too bad I didn’t.

In the car heading for the Pain Cave, I looked in my rearview mirror and began slowly backing out of my parking space, careful to crank my head over my shoulder and look to the right, left, right again because cars come around the corner of the building and also through the gate pretty quick.

I’m not 100% certain if I looked at the backup camera but, no worries if I didn’t because the backup camera beeps when there’s an object close behind me.

Only this morning it didn’t … beep that is.

All of a sudden, I felt a bump and heard a thud, like I’d hit something. Pulling forward, I looked in the rearview mirror and saw I’d hit an SUV.

"Where did THAT come from?" though I; and "Why didn't the backup camera give me an alert?"

Exiting the car, I saw the two occupants of the SUV step out and it was the Talker — my friend/neighbor who parks right next to me. Only she hadn’t pulled into her parking space. Instead, she’d stopped crosswise behind me.

"What are you doing there?" asked I.

"I stopped to drop off my nephew and felt a thump", said she.

Fortunately, there was no damage to her SUV and a barely noticeable indentation on my bumper.


I thought perhaps that waffle looking decorative piece had been broken, but Trainer tells me the break is too straight, too perfect to have been caused by the accident, that it "Must have been like that all along".

I’m not so sure, but it’s nothing a little duct tape can’t fix.

At any rate, it’s a good thing I was pulling out so slow that there was barely a tap.

Next time I have the thought I should probably walk, I’ll be walking.

In fact, the Pain Cave is open until noon on Monday, 4th of July. That means, since my workout is scheduled for 11:30, it’s not a day off for me. I’ll be leaving the car in the carport and walking that day.

13 comments:

  1. What a weird place for Talker to stop her car, even momentarily. Glad it wasn't Karen's car; or she doesn't drive, right? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only driving Karen does is driving Talker crazy with her complaints and driving Dream Lover out of bingo with her aggressive pursuit.

      Delete
  2. I remember once getting pulled over for my driving. The cop asked if I'd been drinking. I replied "I went to the Cruella De Vil school of driving dar-ling, and I may be just a bit mad."

    At least you didn't have a major encounter...or what that of an asshole. She sounded very nice about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about not backing into an A-hole, someone hard up who'd have grabbed their neck, yelled "Whiplash" and tried to collect. Did you get a ticket or did the Cruella De Vil comment get you out of it?

      Delete
    2. LOL!!!!! I got a warning for being amusing I think...that and I had a clean record, surprisingly...by a Mircale of the gods.

      Delete
  3. Maybe she'll learn to pull into a space next time. Still, lucky it wasn't much and everyone was civilized about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get over how not only did I not see her, but the backup camera also didn't detect her. It's like she appeared out of nowhere but for sure she'll henceforth be pulling in.

      Delete
  4. Ok, if the camera didn't see it; she's not a real person, just a spirit running around. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a theory to be carefully looked at because I saw just such a phenomenon in that movie Sixth Sense :-0

      Delete
  5. Glad it was minor... and so cordial.

    ReplyDelete