Tuesday, July 5, 2022

BBQ With a Side of Tea

Along about 6 p.m. yesterday, as I was simultaneously watching the Snap Marathon and working on that needlepoint project, now in its 18th month and nowhere near completion, I heard someone calling my name.

It was Red Light District saying the seniors were barbequing, come down and join.

I threw on some outside clothes and headed down.

On the table were hot dogs, steaks, ribs, potato salad, macaroni salad(s), mixed green salad, and all manner of store-bought cakes.

Had I known, I’d have made extra carrot dogs.

At any rate, it was a fun gathering with all the usual suspects and a new to me guy who says he moved in six months ago, was a personal trainer and leads a bible group on Thursdays.

I’m free on Thursdays, but no thanks. However, there was talk of his starting a pool workout group. If that gets off the ground — which I doubt, I’ll give it a go.

The Seer was in attendance. Without the guy I call her "Shadow".

Those days of Shadow following her around are long over. The two now lead separate lives, as she's still trying to once again socialize with us, get back in the good graces of all the friends she dumped and snubbed her nose at when she thought she was somebody just because she had Shadow feeding her ego, calling her "My Queen" and treating her as if her wish was his command.

Dream Lover being a regular part of the group was of course present, along with his girlfriend.

His what?!

Holy fireworks Batman!

Don’t tell Karen but Dream Lover is taken. He’s paired up with another resident, whom I’ve seen at bingo, but did not realize they were a couple.

"Do they live together?" asked I.

"No, he has his unit, she has hers, they’re just girlfriend/boyfriend".

Conspicuously absent from the group was Painted Rock Lady (PRL).

Asking about her, I was told "She’s not speaking to any of us. She’s mad and embarrassed".

Mad because she overheard discussions, purposely positioned for her to hear, about how tacky it was for her to invite Karen to bingo when she knew how uncomfortable it would be for Talker and Dream Lover, and then hiding from, not acknowledging Karen when she walked through the door.

"I even called to her that her guest had arrived, but she pretended not to hear me", said Red Light.

This must have been when PRL put her head down and tried to be invisible when she saw Karen walk in.

Embarrassed because she knows she F'd up, that people are talking about her being the kind of person who likes to start trouble, that "This wasn’t the first time she’s tried to start trouble and is why people have stopped inviting her out to lunch with them".

Wow! I’ve never seen that side of PRL until now. People don’t usually fool me, but I guess she did. No matter, she’s not embroiled me in any of her goings on, so I’ll still waive, say "hey", enjoy her painted rocks, let her save face with me by playing stupid — like I don't know what's going on.

Bingo organizers are worried that because Karen enjoyed bingo she will be returning, which will make it too uncomfortable for Talker and Dream Lover.

Bingo organizers are also worried there might be trouble, which would cause bingo to be shut down because the office has warned that if there are any problems like before, when there were arguments, raised voices, people yelling at each other, that bingo would be over … permanently.

I was also told to beware of a resident named Bill.

I don’t know who that is, but he was described as one of the guys who sits in a group and smokes off the property, outside the gate.

I’ll have to take a photo, ask someone to point him out in the photo so I’ll know who to beware of because his thing, I’m told, is to walk the property at night, expose himself to the women who happen to be out and about.

Red Light said she’s been out at night, has seen him, but he keeps it in his pants because he’s afraid of her. Can sense she'll "Beat the crap outta him".

I’m never out at night, but it would be a HUGE MISTAKE for this Bill to try that crap with me if I ever am out at night. I’m still angry about the guy who pulled out his junk and tried to trap me in the Mail Center a couple years ago, 9 AM in the morning, and would just love to take my anger out on this Bill should he try me, but why is this Bill still living here?

Why does management not do anything about the problem residents, but will follow up on and cause my Ms. Neighbor to not bring her grandkids around again because of complaints about the kids riding their little scooters around the quad?

While the BBQ was going on, some residents and what I assumed were their grandkids, were enjoying the pool and sauna, so it was a nice day on the complex, like the old pre-pandemic days.

After the BBQ, the seniors set up outside to watch the fireworks display that goes on every year in the area. Illegal fireworks I might add, but which goes on for hours. Last night's sights and sounds went on until well after midnight, but at least they didn't start a fire this year as has occurred once in the past.

Most of the display is visible from in front of the building but having opted not to join the seniors out front, I caught a little of it from my patio.


12 comments:

  1. Dream Lover has a new girlfriend in the complex! Well, well, well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess he had to choose someone as protection ... to get the other women off his back. Karen didn't get the memo.

      Delete
  2. This could be a sitcom (from this distance; I have a feeling it’s not always so funny from where you sit). However, I must say (yes, I must) I’m pleased to know Dream Lover still has his unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That old adage about two can live as cheap as one no longer applies, best to keep one's own residence. And yes, some things are more traumatizing than funny.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. A recipe I saw on Food Network where carrots are made to look and taste like hot dogs for those of us who can't eat hot dog meat. See this post https://bootsandbraids.blogspot.com/2022/04/blustery-day.html

      Delete
  4. If you go walking around at night, you'll need to add pruning shears to your tool belt, in case something pops out of pants. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have as much drama and gossip at your place as I do at mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With so many different personalities, 178 units, drama is a certainty.

      Delete
  6. Dream Lover has his Woman now... perhaps now he's Taken it will ease some of the obsessive behavior of a certain Stalker? *LOL* As for PRL being a shit stirrer, sometimes it's the ones we least expect who incite Drama and Headaches, perhaps becoz their lives are lacking and that's the stimulation they require? The Karen not being Trusted or Welcome and ruining some of the Activities for all Residents was a faux pas that PRL now has the Karma coming back on her for. I can't imagine she extended the Invitation out of compassion or pity for The Karen, the Intentions were Questionable and I don't blame other Residents for now letting her feel the consequences of her Actions. I don't know why Management doesn't Deal more appropriately with who they know is problematic? After all, they ran Apache off and from your perspective of what you Shared about him, he wasn't so much a Problem for Neighbors as he was in holding Management's Feet to the Fire when they were not doing their Jobs. Seems Management protects their interest moreso than the interests of their Residents?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about management protecting THEIR interests. Time will tell if Karen accepts Dream Lover is taken. Hopefully, she doesn't go after the girlfriend.

      Delete