Monday, July 18, 2022

No Place Like Home

This was a quiet weekend for me. Probably because I didn’t step foot outside the door.

I really needed to make a trip to Sprouts, load up on supplies, but inside was just too comfortable. So comfortable that, but for the Pain Cave, I could easily become one of the seniors who, though able to get out and about, opt to remain alone ... inside their units.

Didn’t accomplish much inside, other than needlepoint, catch up on recorded TV programs, eat sushi all weekend, organize and send out for printing the photographs taken while in Long Beach last week — 170 of over 200 photos.

Now that I’ve got the hang of the sushi maker I purchased last month, I’m finding it is faster, easier, more enjoyable than rolling by hand. Now I just need to find a good sushi knife.

I once had a so-called sushi knife, ordered it online, but evidently it came from an unscrupulous seller because the blade was dull. Literally couldn’t cut through butter, so I tossed it and have contented myself with a store-bought sharp kitchen knife.

Kay over at Musings recently did a post on disappointing online purchases. That sushi knife was one I experienced and there have been a few others.

I don't let such experiences ruin my day. Instead, I mostly just take it as a learning experience, toss the item, in future have relied more on in-store purchases for items that have proven themselves to be problematic online; but sometimes there have been returns and my posting buyer beware reviews.

We’re still getting fireworks in our area, but not the aerial displays. Instead, it’s the exploding type. There seeming to be no end in sight to the perp’s supply, we’ll just have to get accustomed to the noise.

Speaking of noise ... In bed, just about to fall asleep Saturday night, there was a loud crash in the bedroom.

Didn’t frighten me as I immediately recognized it as the rattle of clothes hangers banging together, as the hook on the back of the bedroom door failed and all my workout wear crashed to the floor.


It was a good thing my downstairs neighbor, known in the blog as Illusive Unfriendly ─ though a few eggs short of a dozen, isn’t as off the chart as Talker’s neighbor Karen. Had Karen been my downstairs neighbor, she’d have called the cops or security about my making noise late at night.

On the other hand, I really don't know if Illusive Unfriendly is making complaints which are being ignored by management. However, if I ever get a visit from the cops or security or a call from the office, I can make Illusive Unfriendly appear even more wierd than she already is by saying and being believed ─ because of who I am, how I present myself vs who she is, how she presents herself when I say, "I don't know what noise she's talking about" and inform whoever that she has a history of hearing things and talking to herself.

Speaking of nutsy koo koo, am I the only one on here watching Big Brother this season?

Few things will get me to not multitask as I watch TV ─ Survivor is one, Big Brother is the other. Those shows have me singularly focused, glued to the tube.

Big Brother, much like Survivor, is a social experiment of what happens when a group of strangers, different ages, different cultures are forced to live together for X number of weeks, compete against each other. The only difference is Survivor is set outdoors, while Big Brother is set indoors.

First airing in 2000, I've never missed a season and, thus far, this season is turning into one of the best.

We’re only into the third episode and the drama is focused on a girl named Taylor ─ a "personal stylist and former Miss Michigan USA".

The house doesn’t like her and wants her out, but some viewers are yelling "racism", see it as bullying the Black girl because it is absolutely true that the Black players are the first ones targeted for eviction in these shows.

Last season was a shocker because, with this history of Black players going first, a brilliant plan was devised that ended up with the Black players going to the end while, one by one, everyone else was evicted.

Taylor of course thinks she's being targeted out of jealousy. Says she’s had to face this kind of treatment all her life.

However, I keep having this reoccurring thought whenever I see her on camera ... "How much did she pay to win that beauty queen title" because I find her not only unattractive but oddly weird looking. I just don't see her winning a beauty contest on poise and looks alone.

So, if you too are into the show let me just say ... all this social media stuff about "bullying and racial hatred", I’m Black and I don’t like her any better than the other players do. I don't like her personality, she strikes me as fake to the umpteenth degree, and I didn’t care for her from the start.

10 comments:

  1. I agree -- sometimes it's nice just to stay home for an entire day, never even get out of the PJs or brush my hair, just do what I want. But usually I do have someplace I need to go or someone I need to see most days, so those stay-at-home days are rare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I'm retired, it feels like I'm still not getting enough down time.

      Delete
  2. I used to watch Big Brother but all I have now is netflix so I don't watch it anymore.

    I've made a few purchases online that have been bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've missed some good seasons of BB. I don't have Netflix but managed to see Bad Vegan, YOU, and that thing about the fake heiress Anna.

      Delete
  3. It's too hot here to go out. I've known several people who are beautiful but very snobby. I've also known some very unattractive people who are the kindest souls on earth. I can't work and follow such shows; it strains my brain. As a little kid, I even stopped watching "Lassie" episodes when they began ending shows with "to be continued." Too much stress! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you about too much stress. BB airs on Sunday, Wed, Thursday and sometimes the wait to see what happens next is torture so I check the spoiler sites.

      Delete
  4. It's easy to hibernate this time of year so I mostly have to compel myself to leave the house too, sometimes hibernating is just much too comfortable and serene to disrupt. Online purchases I don't do very often, so I can't say I have ever had much in the way of buyer's regret since buying anything myself seems to just work better for me getting exactly what I expect and wanted. I'm impressed you roll your own Sushi tho', you Sushi Jedi you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I want it, I have to make it myself in order to control the ingredients, so I've become quite adept at tamales and sushi.

      Delete
  5. Summer hibernation is sometimes warranted and not a bad idea. I've never watched Big Brother, although I know the premise. In fact, the premise alone stresses me out - I would not want to be in that scenario, let alone on TV!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The premise alone stresses me out", ROFLMAO but I too wouldn't want to be in that scenario.

      Delete