Wednesday, July 13, 2022

LB Pride, The Parade

Silly me. It was my understanding that a parade’s Grand Marshall opens the show. So, I’d planned for watching Twin 1 open the parade, maybe watch a few entries after, then head for Day 2 of the Festival at the end of the parade route.

This outing was also to be a first for recently born great grandson Archie aka Young Skywalker — his first introduction to the outside world.

How did things go you ask?

Well, using granddaughter’s analogy, Archie’s first Pride started off like this …

#Ally 4th Generation

Ended like this …...


Instead of starting off the parade, there were countless parade entries, about 2 hours’ worth, before Twin 1’s car came through to where I was located. Though I’d taken the precaution of purchasing Dr. Scholl inserts to help me through more walking, I’d already logged in 5,148 steps, the equivalent of a 5K, and was fading fast, as was the baby.

We hung in until his grandma (Twin 1) finally came through.


She was motioning because the parade paused while a group up ahead was performing, so she wanted her grandbaby brought to her.

Archie got snuggles and kisses with his Grand Marshall grandma in the parade car.




After the cars began moving again and Twin 1 was out of sight, the baby and I called it a day.


Consequently, I missed quite a bit of the parade AND never made it back to the festival site — missed rodeo and line dancing day.

Long Beach Pride was a bit overwhelming, too much of a good thing for an aging me whose spirit is fresh, young, up for anything, but whose body can no longer keep up.

Whatever, but here are some of the parade highlights taken before I tapped out.

The Haters.


It’s all very civilized when these bible thumping haters show up every year. They're given their own little safe area to spew hate at parade attendees and participates while, in return, attendees and participants make fun of them, drown out their voices with honking cars and motorcycle bikes revving their engines.

As for who did start the parade, it was the famous "Dykes on Bikes" — their words not mine.


Looking at some of the spectator wear, clearly I was overdressed.


This couple had the right idea with bringing a chair. I'd thought about it, but figured lugging a chair around would have been an extra burden.






A handsome guy in a uniform trumps buns out every time.



Jennergy Jump Group


Hamburger Mary's, a long-time staple of Long Beach, was a crowd pleaser.



"Off With Their Heads"


Also, a crowd pleaser were the guys from the leather room.


I can't imagine walking the parade route on stilts.


The above is just a sampling of the entries seen before I left, and I'm sure the best was yet to come, like the half-naked horse ladies — women dressed in harnesses pulling a coach, but that's all folks as I head into my regular routine of needlepoint, working out and trying to find time to scrapbook all the many photos I took at Pride.

Hope you enjoyed the show.

14 comments:

  1. Whew! Sorry you had to miss the good stuff after the parade but understandable. I’m imagining the noise level would have been tiring too. Were you in rainbow colors? Thanks for documenting. Olivia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did my nails in rainbow colors and wore my old shirt that says "Straight but Not Narrow #Ally" because the Pride shirt I purchased last year/year before wasn't a good fit at the shoulders.

      Delete
  2. I can well understand how tiring Pride can prove to be -- and you spent two days at it! Archie is a cutie in his "my first pride" t-shirt! Yes, if a Pride Parade has a Dykes On Bikes contingent, they always lead the parade. But any parade I've been to always puts the Grand Marshall up near the front too, so I imagine you were wondering "where the hell IS she?" lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My exact words "Where is she" and "How much longer", LOL.

      Delete
  3. Oh Shirley! You certainly made my day with the "Mitch McConnell" sign! Where can I buy one? LOL! Looks like you had a way too fabulous time! What fun! Thank you so much for posting your pics
    and experiences at the best event in town! Welcome back to the normal world...whatever the hell that is?
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure the sign was homemade. The crowd loved it.

      Delete
  4. Suuuure Shirly. Don't show us the half-naked horse ladies! 😥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey thanks for standing near the parade for us! Bet the Marshall was burning up in all of the feathers, but the folks with 1 or 2 square inches of clothing on were much cooler. Little guy is adorable. There's a Hamburger Mary's in K.C. that's been there for years. I didn't know there were other ones. They need golf carts for "a little bit oldish" folks, eh? Get some rest; keep drinking water. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the robe was light as a feather. I was expecting the LB heat to be unbearable, but we had that nice ocean breeze. Hamburger Mary's has been in Long Beach for more years than I can remember and would you believe I've never been inside or have eaten there.

      Delete
    2. I ate at the HM in San Francisco over 30 years ago. Wonder if it’s still there. Or was that the original? Olivia

      Delete
    3. I do believe SF was the first location. In addition to the long-standing location in Long Beach, there's one in nearby Hollywood.

      Delete
  6. Dikes on Bikes always lead things off. So energizing. This looks great. Glad you saw Twin 1 and how cool to have Archie there, even if he was clueless and, after a while, tired of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be a great memory for Archie when he's an old man looking through the memory book I'll be making for him.

      Delete