Saturday, July 23, 2022

Taking Care of Business

No word yet or how Painted Rock Lady is doing, but I slept in late this morning and slept well, straight through, so I think that sense of a disturbance in the force was related to PRL, because it's gone now.

Having put off errands for some time, I was all over several towns today, catching up, taking care of business.

Returning to the complex, stopping by the mail center I saw a young lady and her young child enjoying the pool.

Because I had stopped to wait for another resident to exit the tight mail center area — six feet rule and more for me in tight spaces, and was watching the young woman enjoy the pool, I guess she felt she needed to explain herself.

I wasn’t thinking anything about her using the pool, just looking, waving at the little boy as I waited for the mail center to clear, so she didn’t need to explain herself to me, but she did saying, "I don’t have a pool where I live. My mother lives here" and motioned to a woman seated in a shaded area.

"Oh, hi," said I. "I’ve not seen you around before, are you new?"

"I’ve been here one year already", said she.

We chatted for a bit, she vibed well, so I invited her to join us at Bingo and next week’s Social Luncheon, that the office is hosting for us residents.

She seemed excited, saying she was glad to have talked to me and would look for me to sit with when she came.

As the mail center was now clear of another human being, I went on about my business.

However, before I moved on, I asked her daughter "Is the sun not making the water warm?"

"Oh no. It’s nice and cool and refreshing", said she.

So, it’s been verified by two different sources — those kids the other day and the resident’s daughter today that the sun is having no impact on the pool water. It’s cold.

This woman’s excitement about getting involved in activities, saying she was glad to have talked to me, made me think this is one reason why some residents stay in their units, don’t come out. They might be shy, not sure of themselves in new and unfamiliar surroundings.

The resident known in the blog as Genie as much as said so when, a few weeks ago, she almost made me cry when she said, "You were the first person I met when I moved in here, and you were soooo nice".

I didn’t know until she’d just said that, when I saw her struggling in the heat a few years ago, appearing to be heading for the Community Room, I went outside, gave her my arm, helped her inside, provided her with cold water, that she was brand new to the community, didn’t know anyone, felt alone in a strange place.

I expressed surprise and said, "I didn’t know you were brand new here".

"Yes, and I was so scared".

"Scared of what?"

"Oh, you know. New people. Unfamiliar surroundings. I didn’t know what to expect and you were soooo nice to me".

It was a touching moment, so feeling a bit teary eyed, I changed the mood by saying, "Fooled you didn’t I. You didn’t know what a beoch I was".

When I first moved in, we had a Welcome Lady who came around, welcomed and acclimated me to the community activities. 

I’m pretty independent, not fearful of getting out, going places, joining in whether I know anyone or not, but it seems more than a few seniors are like Genie and this new lady — need a bridge, someone or something to make them feel comfortable.

So, anyway, on another note, I wonder if this is for real.


If it’s for real, I hope there’s a virtual option so I can join in on the fun at Hawley’s expense.

I can't get enough of looking at the video of him hauling arse through the Capitol, fleeing from the homegrown terrorists he'd encouraged on his way in.

18 comments:

  1. Yeah, what an ass-hawley, with the power fist and then hauling ass. It’s nice that you can appreciate the difference you make just by showing a little kindness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being told I'd made a difference is what took me by surprise, made me a little weepy.

      Delete
  2. Poor Hawley. He's a meme and a fundraiser now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope there's a 5K. Maybe even an annual event. ROFLMAO!

      Delete
  3. Yes, lots of people are very shy about going to events where they don't know anyone. (Luckily, I'm not. I've learned how to be good at small talk and chit-chat over the years). Some kind of Welcoming Committee or Newcomers Events would be a good idea to help new residents acclimatize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, I've always been closed off and shy. Sometimes painfully so. I didn't realize until just now that I'd grown out of that and can't pinpoint when things changed to where I'll go anywhere alone, prefer going solo, and will talk to anyone. I think it's my being read as open and friendly that gets me in trouble sometimes :-)

      Delete
  4. One would think, by the time a person is our age, that they would have gotten over being shy, but it's not so. Just because you are a successful adult, you may still have lack of confidence in meeting new people and fear of being accepted. I think that acceptance factor is big. I attend a church that is mostly elderly, and we attract other elderly attenders, looking for a place to belong. In most cases, people join in because they find us to be friendly and accommodating. Of course, there are a few who still want to be aloof and stand-offish, and we let them be that, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad, but it seems you are entirely correct. I'm trying to think back on when I first arrived, didn't know anyone, but went to events anyway. There was a group of women who pretty much owned the place, led by my former friend The Seer. She and her group could be intimidating, were the bullies on the complex but, fortunately for me, I didn't care about her or anyone else as I went about living my own life, making my own music, waving at everyone I saw on the complex whether I knew them or not, which is what probably broke down the wall she and her minions at that time were trying to portray. It would be nice, with so many new people, that there's some kind of meet and greet or at least mention and welcome new people in the Monthly Bulletin. Will be interesting to see who shows up for next week's social. How many new people I'll meet.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad the "new" resident got to meet you. Sad how some are intimidated about meeting new people when they move, so they don't get out, so they don't meet new people... Continuing spiral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having once been painfully shy myself, I can relate. Adding insult to injury, my shyness had been interpreted as "stuck up" causing me to retreat even further into myself back in the day, spirally further down until whenever it was and whatever it was caused me to turn the corner and come out of my shyness.

      Delete
  6. They should have a welcome lady for places like that where they have activities. I think if the new people had someone to let them know things like that they might be more agreeable to going and checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree but highly doubt we'll get another welcome lady since they can't even keep a manager around here.

      Delete
  7. Definitely a Hawley virtual race. A fundraiser for the Missouri Democratic Party .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I live in a two-state city: (parts of all the Kansas City and it's suburbs are in Kansas or Missouri,) I have to listen to all the election commercials for both states. Hawley is a miniature version of DJT, a true jerk.
    I vote for you to be the new Welcoming Lady!
    My apartment is part of an old nursing home turned in to senior apartments. I'm blessed to live in a bigger isolated part that used to be the community center. We were making efforts to be friendly beyond the available dinners, then covid hit. With close quarters and shared hallways in the main two story building, we've all hidden in our rooms.
    I'm thinking some folks on your apartment campus are hibernating partly due to covid precautions. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote, but I respectfully decline because .... people. It's less stressful to be open, friendly, but maintain a barrier around oneself. In this world of others, but not of it.

      Delete
  9. Having just seen the new Elvis movie, I first thought your header title was about Elvis, cuz "Taking Care of Business" or TCB was his motto on rings, jewelry and stuff. You might like that movie, although it's more about his evil manager Tom Parker. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd already planned to purchase the DVD when it became available. but knowing it's more about Paker is kind of a turnoff. So, I'll wait for it to hit TV or Prime.

      Delete