Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Hawlin It

Good news — Painted Rock Lady is back in her unit. I’ve not yet seen her out and about, but whatever emergency she had has passed.

Bad news is Red Light isn’t letting up. She’s not buying “emergency”. She’s insisting it was “more drama”, a bid for attention.

Anything is possible, but I’m relieved to know PRL is still with us.

As PRL is painting rocks in her unit without proper ventilation, I’m tempted to tell her that Bob Ross, the television painting instructor, passed away from complications of lymphoma suspected to be caused by the fumes from the paint and sealants he worked with. That maybe she should move her painting out to the patio After all, last time she went to the hospital, she came back attached to a breathing machine that she has to lug around with her wherever she goes.

I’m tempted, but reluctant to do so because, in the past, people have not always appreciated my alerting them to a knowing I've had or my two-cents.

Instead of appreciating or heeding the warning, I’ve been accused of causing the problem — "putting something" on them, bringing it into being.

Believe it or not, there are a lot of ignorant people in the world, so to speak of certain things would be like what is described as "Pearls before swine".

Consequently, I keep my knowings to myself and just watch, sometimes with a heavy heart, as things play out as they will. That is, unless specifically asked my thought or opinion or if I'm "feeling anything".

Plan for today was to check out the Summer Social "Lunch with property management" scheduled for 11:30. However, I wanted to get the Hawlin’ Hawley Virtual 5K off my bucket list — I’d registered just last night, saw the active dates had already begun (July 25 – 31).


Figuring I could manage both, I hauled arse and did.

Up early and arriving at the college shortly after 9:45, seeing plenty of parking spaces on campus and no security car, I took a chance at not getting ticketed for lack of a pass and parked.

The weather was wacked — fluctuating between uncomfortably hot and what appeared to be June Gloom overcast, but it was a pleasant walk and 7,005 steps later, 3.19 Miles @ 1:08:44, I was back at the complex in time to get out of walking gear, refresh my makeup and get down to the Community Room around 11:35.

Turns out the event was Luau themed and set around the pool area.


Had I known, I’d have pulled my grass skirt out of the storage area.

As it was, I got leid when I arrived and was given a flower to wear near my ear.


I don't know if I'm wearing it correctly. Did I put the flower on the correct side to indicate a single woman?

That new resident I’d met at the pool the other day was a no-show. Sucks for her because it was a fun event.

That video was taken when I first arrived, so it looks kinda sparce insofar as residents. Others came and though attendance was eventually good, a woman at my table pointed out attendance in no way represented the number of residents we have.

One would have thought that, even if the residents did not read the Monthly Calendar, they would at least have heard the music and come out to join in.

On the other hand, some residents might be pissed because, in their minds, they did not get notified. Like the woman I met at the front gate when I was headed to the event. She said, "They’re having a party back there and no one let us know".

"Yes, they did" said I. "It was on the calendar".

I am sooooooo sick of people complaining about not knowing an event is to take place, when it’s in black and white on the calendar they don’t bother to read.

Like I said about the no-show resident, it's they’re loss, because it was a fun event and we got to keep the little coconut drinking cups.


To my disappointment, the coconut shells were empty — no Mai Tai inside.

OH, and btw, the new manager was introduced — a middle-aged woman, no tight pants, no high heels. Started a week ago, I'm told. Let's see how long she lasts.

18 comments:

  1. Bet you can run faster than Hawley!
    Traditionally, you wear a lei draped over your shoulders: part drapes on the back, part drapes on the front. But yep, most folks have them right at the back of their neck.
    If you are married or "taken," you wear the flower on the left ear, closest to your heart. If you're "looking" or not taken or married, you wear the flower on your right ear. Either way, you look lovely!
    I've not seen plastic coconut drink thingies before. Looks like a nice spread of food.
    (Hope those walker people don't fall in the pool.)
    Yep, Management liability if they served booze.
    Linda in Kansas; Hawaiian at Heart, member of Kansas City's Hawaiian Civic Club!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should have worn the flower in the middle of my forehead not married, not taken, not looking. We were waiting for a pool accident. Fortunately, didn't happen.

      Delete
  2. How do you like our politicians? Missouri has Hawley and Greitens. You know about Hawley. Greitens was Governor until he pissed off his mistress. Now he's running for Senate. What a pair those two would make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story of Greitens and his mistress sounds interesting. I'll have to look that up.

      Delete
  3. It looks very pleasant and you are beautiful! I never thought about the rules for where the flower goes. Good thing I don’t have any hair to wear a flower in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your flower will need to be attached to an elastic head band.

      Delete
  4. Sounded like fun.....especially with a NO Karen show (I assume?) That'd be one good way to ruin a party! LOL! At first, I thought the 'Hawley Run' was a joke! What an appropriate title! And run he did.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone would have accidentally pushed Karen into the pool had she made an attendance. I wouldn't put it past her to be off in the distance watching. I thought Hawley Run was a joke as well, until I checked back, hoping it was real and registration had been set up. Glad I checked back because it was on. I'm impressed at how quickly it was set to go.

      Delete
  5. I love the digs at Hawley, but, more importantly, you look fabulous lei'd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I usually hate how I photograph. Got lucky with this one.

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear PRL is safely back home. That luau lunch looks fab! The first time My Rare One and I went to Maui, we were total luau sluts and went to every luau we could book, lol! Lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be a night owl because, the one time I went to Hawaii, the luau was at night.

      Delete
  7. Hopefully the new manager is a good one. Having all the events on the calendar is good, at least people can find out what events and when if they bother to look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The key word being "if they bother to look", LOL.

      Delete
  8. Looks Iike a fun time. The orange lei really looks good on you. Glad PRL is back- hopefully no worse for wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming back from this morning's workout, I saw and spoke to her. She looked surprisingly well.

      Delete
  9. Fingers crossed. Y'all are due a good manager after all you've been through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not holding my breath. We've been fooled before by a good start.

      Delete