Wednesday, July 6, 2022

I Got 5 on It

Gas is down to $5.89 in my area. So, after this morning’s workout, I pulled into the station to top off the tank.

It’s all guesswork as to how much money to put down, but I figured $35 would top the tank. But then, when I was paying the cashier, something told me that since gas is down from last week’s $6.15, thirty-five would probably overflow the tank.

"$30 on Pump 2" said I to the cashier and deposited the extra five in my upstairs bank.

Exiting the store, heading back to the pump, a guy leaning against the building asking customers for spare change, asked me.

Without thinking, I withdrew the five from the bank, gave it to him.

Thinking about it later, I figured that’s why something had prompted me to get $30 worth, rather than thirty-five. The extra five was meant to go to that guy.

I’d half expected him to go into the gas station store, buy water or something to eat. Instead, I saw him walk away, head rapidly down the street towards the liquor store.

But no, he didn’t go into the liquor store. He walked right past it and out of sight.

Curiosity got the best of me so, after gassing up, I drove in the direction he’d disappeared and saw him go into a Smoke Shop.

I don’t think he was there to buy cigarettes but, if that’s where illegal substances are sold, how much can one get for a mere five dollars?

There’s a hip-hop song entitled “I Got 5 on It”, which refers to a five-dollar bill kicked in towards the purchase of an illegal herb, so maybe five was enough to meet what this guy felt was his current need.

I don’t judge the guy for not buying water and a candy bar, people do what people do; but his choice does put me in the position of having contributed to the monkey on his back.

Not only did Monday’s fireworks show go on well past midnight, it started up again yesterday around 7:00 p.m., ended after 11:00 and will probably continue nightly until the person or persons responsible deplete their cache of fireworks.

Earlier in that day, sitting at my perch on the couch, I saw a lot of furniture being moved down the walkway, out of the complex, followed by luggage.

The items were being removed from the invalid lady’s unit.

Last time I’d seen luggage being taken out of her unit, I’d mistakenly thought she was either moved in with family or into a care facility. She was gone for a bit, during which time the Marshals had gone in about 3:30 in the morning, taken a look around and then left. She reappeared some two weeks later.

No mistake this time, she’s been moved out — to live with her oldest son I’m told because she said she was "Tired of living alone".

As for why I’ve never seen her in the 10 years I’ve lived here, I was told she has not always been an invalid. That living here some 22 years, she used to attend events, would frequently be seen in the Community Room, but became unable to care for herself and get out and about at age 88.

She’s 98 now, so she became unable to care for herself, get out and about just about the time I moved in. Thus, our paths never crossed.

It’s scary to see and hear about people growing old and unable to care for themselves, but at least the invalid lady had family who cared, looked after her every day of the years she lived alone. Many of us are not so fortunate.

Was the black box removed from her patio railing you ask?

I don't yet know. I'll check next time I'm over that way.

There are 178+ stories on the complex. This has been one of them.

15 comments:

  1. I hope Invalid Lady is happier living with her son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one situation where I'm sure the move will be good for all concerned.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes those black boxes hold a key for an agency caregiver to get in. Your complex needs it's own mover company men. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They need to contract with movers, painters AND vacant apartment cleaning crew.

      Delete
  3. Yes, invalid lady is fortunate to have someone to move in with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did something right in life to end up with such a caring family.

      Delete
  4. Nice of you to pay it forward, no matter what he used the fiver for.
    Also nice is that the lady had family to take her in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she realizes how blessed she is to have such a family. Mine would let me rot.

      Delete
  5. "but at least the invalid lady had family who cared, looked after her every day of the years she lived alone". I'm happy for that.
    Looks like a new story is about to begin - when a new resident moves in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a downstairs unit and there are residents already here, living upstairs, who need downstairs; so there may be a switcheroo rather than someone new, unless a new person on the waiting list is in even worse shape and needs downstairs more.

      Delete
  6. It's good that she is moving in with her son. Hopefully he's good to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's admired around here for the way he's looked after his mom, so having already proven he's a good son, living with him, instead of having to come here every day, should make life easier for both of them.

      Delete
  7. The end of life is rarely a good scene. I dread ours. At 77 every single friend my age has some big problem or their spouse does.
    Tonight we watched Kissinger at 99 and he looked so bad, as if he was melted into his chair but still bright enough to talk well. It's all so sad.
    I do so admire your up beat spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You feeling compelled to be Charitable with the Five, I'd do the same, regardless of what Need the Recipient has for it. Mostly becoz, if I feel that someone is at rock bottom enuf to even need my Charity, whatever brings them some relief from their situation is not for me to Judge. I've been Homeless many Moons ago, it ain't no fun regardless of why you found yourself in that situation. For me it was a hairy Divorce and fleeing DV with a Newborn and a Four Year Old... had it not been for others being Charitable, I don't know if we could have moved thru that circumstance as well as we managed to. I couldn't imagine being 98 and having to make a move after 22 Years of Independence, regardless of inability to Care for oneself, it would be tough... for everyone involved. I think it's shameful how in America we don't have a better System for our Disabled and Elderly to ensure they have dignity preserved and adequate Care regardless of ability to afford it. I am glad the Invalid Ancient One had someone in the Family left to take her in tho'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God forbid, but it can happen to any one of us at any time for any reason.

      Delete