Thursday, July 28, 2022

Plot Twist


The only one I disagree with is Thao. His actions towards concerned bystanders and that first responder — an off-duty firefighter who walked up on the scene, identified herself, asked to be allowed to provide aid to Floyd, disturbed me just as much as Chavin’s actions.

Thao had responded, "If you are who you say you are, then you know not to get involved".

WHAT?!, though I at the time. A first responder should know better than to try to respond to a person in distress?

Well, I hope it hasn't escaped Thao that he's the one going to prison for not getting involved, rather than the first responder getting in trouble for trying to get involved.

Three and a half years is nowhere near what Thao should have gotten, but it’s more than the other two so, evidently, the judge must have also thought Thao deserved more.

I actually would have liked Kueng to get the same two years as Lang, but it is what it is.

Returning from Wednesday’s workout, I ran into Jan heading for a doctor’s appointment.

Asking how she was, she said she was fine.

She looked fine.

"You had us worried with police, fire, ambulance. I was expecting the National Guard to come through the gate next".

She laughed, said "That was my ex-husband’s fault. I told him 'Thanks a lot'. He said, 'Well, you should answer your phone'".

Evidently, he’d called, she didn’t answer, so he asked for a welfare check.

That doesn't explain why the ambulance took her away but, inasmuch as she looked quite well, I didn’t inquire further.

It amazes me how it is she and her ex get along so well, live separately, care for and take care of each other.

Makes me wonder why they bothered to get divorced.

We have a divorced couple living here. They share the same unit, live as if still married. I’m assuming the divorce is paperwork that is somehow benefitting the both of them financially in some way.

I was asked a question at Summer Social. A question to which I answered instantly, without thought, right off the top of my head.

While Bible Thumper (BT) was off getting a third, maybe a fourth helping of what was being served, a lady at my table and I were talking about how nice of management to give us this treat. Then she questioned why … "Why do you suppose they’re doing this for us".

"They’re probably going to raise the rent” came out of nowhere.

She said, "Oh! Oh yeah!" and we laughed and laughed and laughed because we thought we were joking.

Plot Twist!

Guess what happened yesterday.

Yep, a "30-Day Notice to Change the Terms of Your Rental Agreement" was attached to our doors — one day after the Summer Social.

An increase of $75.

Management could have at least waited a few days, so it wouldn't have been so obvious.

In my mind, I should be exempt from the increase because I didn't eat anything at the Summer Social. They didn't have anything I could digest, so I just sipped on coffee I myself brought.

This exemption should also apply to those who did not attend, those who did not fall for the trap.

I don't think this logic is going to fly with management but, in a world where rent increases are escalating into hundreds of dollars a month, $75 isn’t bad. Fortunately, at least not for me.

However, for residents on severely fixed incomes, those that are not being subsidized by the county, $75 is going to seem like hundreds of dollars.

I hope this doesn't put a damper on future events, make folks afraid to participate thinking management might be up to something.

One other thing that happened at the Summer Social was that when BT returned to the table, with his third/fourth plate of what was being served (He really stuffed his face. Had even asked that, since I wasn't eating, for me to go make a plate and give it to him to which I replied, "Get it yourself"), he tried to impress us with his knowledge saying, "You know why they’re doing this for us. It’s because they have so many vacancies".

That didn’t even make sense, because how would giving us a party have an impact on vacancies. Plus, someone just moved into Bonita’s old unit, and management has finally relented and has an outside crew getting the unit that used to have the black box quick fast ready for new tenants, AND we have a waiting list.

All of which I told Mr. Know It All Bible Thumper, adding that the other lady and I had another theory — a rent increase.

Of course, he shook his head, said I was wrong — we don’t have a waiting list and we have a lot of vacancies.

Well look who has a rent increase attached to his door.

The man's a fool.

What's sad about it is .... he is completely oblivious to the fact that he's a fool.

22 comments:

  1. I've been chuckling at your new character, BT. We have one of these who joined our church a year or so ago, and has done his very best to take over. He's actually doing a fairly good job because he's willing to do a lot of work when so many are bowing out of taking responsibility. However, like you, I don't trust him. He's slick, and he thinks he's the smartest person in the room. He loves to hear himself talk and it seems people are happy to let him do that. I do my best to sidestep and ignore the man. He seems to have gotten the vibe that I don't like him and stays out of my way. Oh, and he mispronounces my name. I don't correct him as I really don't want to engage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least yours is making himself useful, LOL. As for the way these guys fool people into believing their hype, there's that old saying ... You can fool some of the people some of the time, you can even fool some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time. You and I are wise to them.

      Delete
  2. Stupid people never know they’re stupid. Speaking of which, that management company is stupid AND sleazy. Could they have been any more obvious?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a tacky move and inasmuch as rent generally only increases $20, this $75 means we paid for the party.

      Delete
  3. On the other hand, Bible Thumper probably ate at least $75 of food so that's one way to stick it to the landlord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking that a lot of fools are oblivious of how stupid they are - and of how annoying they are. And wow, throw a part then up the rent $75?!
    Congrats on completing the Haulin' Hawley. Hilarious and creative event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $75 is the biggest increase we've had in 10 years. There's generally a $20 jump and not every year, just occasionally. Hope this $75 isn't going to be an annual thing.

      Delete
  5. I wonder if any of our colorful cast of characters will depart d/t the rent increase. WE MUST HAVE OUR STORIES! LOL! I'm sure there's plenty of colorful characters waiting in the wings, but kind of attached to our steadfast crew. Rents are outrageous everywhere these days. Actually, $75 isn't too bad considering how things are going lately. But for someone on a very restricted income this could be a major issue. I'd not heard of the thumper before. My least favorite kind! Does he quote 'scripture' or something offensive like that? Thumpers tend to be the stupidest ones of all. Maybe you could hook him of with our dear Karen. She could use a good 'saving'! LOL! Can't wait for the next round of stores. They're the best, Shirley! Thank you....they usually make my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am wondering if those that can't make the $75 will move, but rents are bad all over, no place to move to, so they'll eek it out some way. You're not the first to suggest hooking Karen up with Bible Thumper, but I don't think even she could stand his non stop chatter.

      Delete
    2. You're right Shirley, with our 'Karen', it's all about her, I'm sure. I forgot to put my signature in the above post. It's Paranormal John, but may you have figured that out?

      Delete
  6. Send BT to one of DJT's compounds. Instant rent increase is really tacky. How sad that corporate is being "so corporate." Some apartments in KC were giving up the Fed money for those lower-rent apartments, and renting only to non-Fed-needing people. One place I'd looked at 4 years ago, could even tell me which month the cut-off was happening, which would make more regular apartments available in that complex. Wonder if that's what will happen in your complex. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about corporate eventually giving up the subsidized units and just going regular apartments. I don't think it would happen because they make so much money off the county and get substantial tax breaks.

      Delete
  7. Most Fools are oblivious of what they are. As for Rent increases, it's happening exponentially to where now more and more marginalized people are becoming Homeless and priced out of the Rental Market. Since most Affordable Housing and Flop Houses were torn down or bought up by Investors/Developers that fixed them up and made record profits off flipping them or razing them to build Upscale Housing, it's getting harder for regular folks to live most places. I suspect that is also why so many Help Wanted Signs are everywhere for lower paying Work that won't even make Rent anymore, let alone give anyone extra for expensive Transportation and Food/Utilities. I think if things don't equalize soon, America may have a Marie Antoinette response to the "Let them eat Cake..." mentality the more Affluent seem to have and are so out of touch with the suffering and poverty of the Working Class, Retired and Poor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These rent increases are nothing but Greed. Someone was just telling me today that their friend, who lives in a run down rat trap, got a $350 increase. Landlords can do whatever they want and get away with it.

      Delete
  8. So annoying for them to put the rent up - it's just jumping on the bandwagon - totally unfair. Over here it's gas and electric people are struggling with - they are advising that energy bills may well be in the region of £500 monthly come Jan - yet the suppliers make billions! Ho hum ever thus 😏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Jumping on the bandwagon" is exactly what it is.

      Delete
  9. He is very irritating, to everyone it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this packing is killing me. I might actually have renewed my lease if the increase hadn't broke the bank.

      Delete
    2. Some of these rent increases are insanity. Eventually landlords have to run out of people who can afford and end up with empty units.

      Delete