Tuesday, December 12, 2023

On the 12th Day of Christmas

I’m beginning to worry about me because, since last Friday, I’ve had three senior moments.

First was when, cleaning out the car at the coin car wash, I tossed the second pair of trekking poles that turned out to be useless.

The first sets I purchased wouldn’t tighten. Returned ‘em.

The second set tightened, but kept coming loose and collapsing. I made ‘em work by using crazy glue, but the glue didn’t hold for long.

The third set were keepers — got me through the rough terrain of the Mission Inn 5K. So, cleaning out the car at the coin wash on Friday, seeing the useless second set still in the car, I tossed them in the trash, went on my way.

A day later, when I went to use one pole from the third set, because I felt a little unsteady on my feet, I realized I’d toss the wrong ones — the third set of poles instead of the useless second set.

Next senior moment was when I addressed the Talker by another resident’s name.

Third senior moment was when I arrived at the dentist this morning for my 10:00 cleaning, only to learn my appointment is for 10:00 Thursday not today, Tuesday.

Luckily for me the 10:00 cancelled, so they were able to take me in her place.

I caught a break and it worked out for me but, with three senior moments so close together, I’m thinking I need to slow down. I’m closing in on 80 years of age and need things to slow down.

A meditation retreat would be appreciated — not like at that cold dreary location where a session was held last year, but something at the beach, like was held back in 2018.

I'm not holding out hope for such a session, as the seers/gurus/spiritual teachers have passed on. So, meditation retreats are now as rare as in-person live 5Ks are becoming.

Things will slow down tomorrow, as that’s the day we have a power outage for maintenance. However, Trainer’s Wife tells me they had the planned outage at their place last Wednesday, and 8:00 to 11:00 am turned out to be 8:00 to 3:00 pm.

So, with no TV and TikTok to distract me after tomorrow’s workout, I may be able to finally finish reading The In-Between get started on The Old Gays.

Though I really hate having to go to the dentist, the fact that Umbrella Alley is at the backside of the office made me feel a little better about having to go.


I offered to take a photo for the couple and they accepted, so that’s my good deed for the day.

12 comments:

  1. Oh no! Sorry to hear you tossed out the GOOD poles! oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope a dumpster diver found them, realized they worked, gave them a good home.

      Delete
  2. believe I've had senior moments when I was a junior .... in high school. I think you're spot on target every time I stop by.

    PS love the umbrella alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In high school? Maybe I'm not having senior moments then. It could be I'm reverting to high school, getting younger like Benjamin Button.

      Delete
  3. Senior moments. Welcome to my world. Those 'moments' and me are sleeping together now! Sometimes we just need a little down time and
    lessen the stress of our lives. That's not always easy to come by.
    A retreat sounds delightful. I find when I get too busy things get scattered.
    I found some fabric softener in the refrigerator last week. How bad is that!
    As long as I have clothes on going out the door....I'm good to go! You're fine!
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabric softener in the fridge is hilarious. I caught myself just before putting the almond milk in the cupboard instead of the fridge last week.

      Delete
  4. Oh crud. A shame about the good poles. I've done things like that. I've been told if you're aware of your senior moments, you've got nothing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to rely on the adage "Everything happens for a reason", that someone in the universe needed those poles more than I did, and it's making sense to me that if I'm aware, I've nothing to worry about.

      Delete
  5. I think that you have a lovely voice. Sorry about the poles. When I have to remember to take something with me in the car I have to place it in front of the door to remind myself. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Problem was, I had both sets in the car, but thought I only had the useless sets. That the good ones were in my unit. Live and learn. I'll pay closer attention to what I'm doing next time I toss something.

      Delete
  6. Umbrella alley was fun! Thanks for sharing.
    I feel your pain about chucking the wrong poles. I've had similar senior moments in my 50s. I'd say you're still firing on all cylinders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've reordered. Same brand. So hopefully work just as well.

      Delete