Friday, December 15, 2023

On the 15th Day of Christmas

Cancelling this morning’s workout turned out to be a smart move as, not having to rush around, I was rested and in a good frame of mind when I went down to the Community Room for the Ugly Sweater Christmas Party, prepared to once again be robbed, as I was at our Halloween Costume Party when I didn’t win Most Creative.

Walking into the room, first thing I noticed was the seating configuration.

As previously mentioned, Community Manager rearranged the tables and chairs to where we were separated into pairs — gone were the big tables pushed together to allow for group seating.

Why?

No really good reason. Just because she could, and wanted to flex her power and control.

In addition to her new configuration, the Community Manager ordered us to not unarranged her configuration, rearrange to make it more copacetic for our use.

Walking in, I was surprised to see the tables had been rearranged to suit our needs after all.

Asking the Baker how the organizers (herself, Red Light, Homegirl) were able to get this by Community Manager, she said "I got into trouble".

She would not elaborate but, from the flash of fire in her eyes and the way her mouth tightened, it’s a fair guess that she’d had enough and went toe to toe with Community Manager (CM) — said what she’d needed to say, threatened what she needed to threaten to get CM to cut the crap.

At any rate, the room was how we needed it to be, and the refrigerator had been unlocked.

Whatever the Baker said or did, it probably shocked CM, because the Baker is not one to get fed up, lose her temper. She's all meek and mild, let's people walk all over her, but everyone has a limit and the Baker evidently reached hers.

I'll bet it ended in a compromise — CM backed down, allowed the refrigerator to be unlocked just for this occasion, with the tables and chairs to be rearranged back to her configuration at the end of the party.

The party was a hoot and a holler. We had so much fun.

Residents were feted with Tacos (a choice of beef or chicken), rice, beans and tamales (tamales provided by the Baker’s daughter).

Dessert was German Chocolate cake and jello shots, minus the liquor.

After the meal was The Saran Wrap Christmas Game, where prizes were enclosed in layers of saran wrap, forming a big ball.


The ball was given to the first player to unwrap, try to get at the prizes, while the person seated next to him/her/they/them tried to throw doubles with a pair of dice. Once doubles were thrown, the person with the ball was considered timed out, the person that threw doubles got at the ball while the next person tried for doubles to time that person out, take a turn at unwrapping, getting to a prize.

Folks took the game seriously, unwrapping as though their life depended on it before being timed out.


Others got a bit upset when they'd barely touched the ball before being timed out, because the next person got lucky and quickly threw doubles.


It took some doing to get to the levels where candies, lottery tickets, money and small bags of chips began falling out.

At the end of the ball, last prize to fall out was a gift card.

Next was the White Elephant gift exchange.

Having run into the next-door neighbor of my old buddy Apache at Walmart last week, I’d asked if she was coming to the party.

"I’m broke", said she.

I said for her to come anyway, that she didn’t have to participate in the gift exchange.

Later, I thought to come up with an extra gift for the exchange, with the intent that she’d be able to participate.

Great minds think alike, because a couple of us brought extra gifts so those not able to bring a gift would not be left out.

Most everyone seemed happy with the gifts they’d unwrapped, but there were a few less than thrilled faces and steals where folks liked what someone else had chosen, opted to steal it from them, rather than choose a gift from the table.

This stealing forced the person stolen from to select a different gift from the table.

With sufficient extra gifts to choose from, Apache’s neighbor did not end up with the extra gift I brought. Instead, she unwrapped a gift, and found inside a set of four Rubbermaid food storage containers.

She didn't look all that thrilled.

The Bite Me coffee mug I’d wrapped and placed in a Christmas stocking went fast — was the third gift to be chosen — chosen by Homegirl who seemed happy with it and though others thought it cute, no one pulled a steal.

The extra gift I’d donated was kind of a social experiment for me — a money roll.

I’d strung 18 one-dollar bills together, added a two-dollar bill at the end, placed them in a box with a pull tab at the beginning of the roll.


Where the social experiment comes in is ... you know how we sometimes in life make choices based on how pretty the outside package is, only to later find out that what's inside is not all that great?

Well, I had a sense that, with so many struggling for cash around here, $20 would come in handy, but I wanted to see how long it would take and who would select a package that was plain ..... in terms of life again, the package that looked basic and humble on the outside, not so prettily wrapped.

So, though I had pretty Christmas wrapping paper, I wrapped the gift in plain butcher paper, but added a colorful ribbon to make it Christmasy.


Sure enough, it was almost end of the game before someone selected the gift that was not all glitz and glamour.


It was stolen twice — once by the guy's wife, which forced him to select another gift.

Then, someone stole the money from the wife.

However, she was smart. Instead of selecting another gift, she stole the money back.

I don't know if that was a legal maneuver in the game rules, but it was hilarious!

Inasmuch as a gift can only be stolen twice, the wife — no longer in danger of having the money stolen a third time, ended up with the loot.

That was so much fun that I'll do a money box from now on.

Maybe next time, folks will think twice about being lured by colorfully wrapped packages — end up with four Rubbermaid food storage containers instead of needed cash.

I myself didn't have to pick a gift because, early in the game, I saw my friend Jenne open a gift that was a cozy little blanket and santa mug.

I told myself then and there that, I was going to steal it from whoever had it when my turn came and did.


Try as we did, I came away with not a single elf photo to show you.

Folks did look in the mirror, some screamed, but even with someone standing behind the person looking in, the camera could not capture the image.

So stinky poo on that, but you could have knocked me over with a feather when I won Most Creative.

Prize was $10 Walmart Gift Card, which I’ll use to purchase candies for the gingerbread house I plan to build.

I also walked away with a bag of goodies from Homegirl — earring's she'd made, a blinged out coffee cup filled with candies that I'll pass on (the candies not the cup), and a painting kit, including brush and an easel, to paint a drawing she herself sketched.


She's so creative.

Bless her heart. It was nice of her to think of me, but I don't know what gives her the idea I can paint. LOL.

I will however, give it a try ..... that is if and when I can find the time.

26 comments:

  1. That is the first truly fun-sounding Christmas party I've heard about. Kudos to everyone and to you for your kindness -- and brilliant creativity and humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuesday is management's "Christmas Celebration and Crafts". Whether I attend or not depends on what the craft is, but I don't envision it being as fun as our party.

      Delete
  2. I like Homegirl's gift, creative and fun.
    And I love your experiment! People always go for the big and flashy because they think it's better and that's not always true. Me? I'd go for the plain wrapped gift because it WASN'T getting picked!
    Sounds like y'all had a fun party! Merry Christmas., Happy Holidays and all that jazz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to admit that I like looking at the big and flashy (eye candy), but wouldn't want to take it home with me. Can you believe there's only 9 more days until Christmas and the fun ends?

      Delete
  3. Wow, that sounds like an awesome Christmas party! Glad you won "Most Creative" elf costume. Your boots rock in that photo. And such creative games -- the Saran Wrap game, the Money Roll gift, so unique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to win, so it was nice to see my creativity rewarded this time. Those Santa boots were actually socks, and were an even bigger hit than my mirror shirt.

      Delete
  4. Wowie! So much fun & cleverness! What a fun event! First, kudos to Baker for rearranging the setup and sticking to it! “Management” just acts dumber and dumber. Somebody has serious issues. But the food sounded great and the gift exchange was a hoot! I’ve never seen the Saran Wrap game before; very fun. Your box of money wins a prize too! I will definitely borrow the idea! How clever of you to assemble and wrap the way you did. The videos of the men were adorable. We’re all still like kids at times aren’t we? So glad your costume won. You deserved it! Thanks for sharing your event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too had never heard of the saran wrap game. Whoever put it together must have worked with a team and lots of saran wrap. If you need a gift at the last minute, a box of money is the way to go.

      Delete
  5. That does look like a fun party, and believe it or not I would have went for your gift immediately because I'm always drawn to a very simple pretty looking gift. I have a big roll of butcher paper that I often wrap gifts in and then put two pretty ribbons and trimming on.

    Past places of employment we've done white elephants and they are so fun. Especially when it comes to the stealing part. But your idea of the money rolls genius I've never seen that that's pretty cool. I'm glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first money roll. I slipped the box on the table so no one would see it was from me. Otherwise, they'd be looking in future to see what I'd brought just in case it was money ... which it will be, LOL.

      Delete
  6. Happy to hear that you all had such a delightful holiday "spirited" party. That's the way life should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good reprieve for the seniors who are struggling.

      Delete
  7. That was a great party and it looked like everyone, well mostly, had a good time. The guy who won the money roll draped it around his neck as if to say to the ladies "I'm rich, who wants me?" 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had the best time with it ... for the short period he had it,

      Delete
  8. I am so glad the party was such a rip roaring success. I think I could detect your voice among the joyous sounds! I never remember you having such a good time with the group before! So kind and generous of you to bring extra gift and so clever to come up with the plain box money one. I have always thought of you as being generous and recall that you were surprised the first time I wrote it! Well done, JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that was me talking, sometimes laughing in the background of videos, and I'm still surprised to be thought of as generous.

      Delete
  9. well that sounded like fun. The money roll gift idea was very creative. I'd like to have seen y'all if the jello shots had liquor in them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shots with liquor would have made for an even more fun party. Last time anyone served the seniors liquor around here was a New Years party where one old lady ended up taking off her top.

      Delete
  10. Congrats on the win! And I think the money box is a great idea. I may have to use it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Money box is so easy peasy, and cash is not likely to disappoint a recipient.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a knife would be the fastest way to get into the Saran wrap balls. The Tenet's Teamsters should get their own lock and put it on the fridge! Then Management wouldn't have to worry about it! Glad you won the Most Creative Oscar. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of those seniors got a little too competitive about getting to the cash and lottery tickets in the ball. In the heat of the moment, a sharp instrument in the hand would not have been a good idea for when the next person in line reached for the ball, LOL.

      Delete
  12. That sounds a fun party. I like the idea of a painting kit- think I'll borrow that idea for my niece next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It absolutely would be a great gift for your niece if painting is her thing.

      Delete
  13. The party sounds so fun. I wish I had been a spider on the wall when the Baker took on the Community Manager. Snarl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always the quiet unassuming ones, like the Baker, who carry the most impact when they've had enough and put someone in his/her/their place.

      Delete