Wednesday, December 13, 2023

On the 13th Day of Christmas

At 8:15 this morning, as a result of the planned maintenance power outage, the television turned off.

Based on Trainer’s wife saying the projected three hours extended to all day when her outage occurred, I’d duly planned for a day of quiet and cold foods.

Lo and Behold, an hour later, the television restarted.

Trainer called "bulls*&t" on our getting preferential treatment, probably because we’re a senior complex, when I informed him, at this morning’s session, that my outage had lasted only an hour.

"Age is entitled to some privileges" countered I.

I’ve three seasonal coffee cups to choose from.


Week before, I was centered and drinking from Cup No. 1.

Last week, I was dancing around, feeling like the middle cup.

This week, running out of steam, it's been Cup No. 3, which should have an additional check mark for "exhausted".

Exhausted before I even headed out for today's workout, I decided this morning was my last workout of the week.

Us seniors are having our Christmas Party at noon on Friday. I had planned to rush back from Friday’s workout, quickly change out of workout gear, head down to the Community Room. However, deciding not to further stress or exhaust myself, be too exhausted to enjoy the party, I gave Trainer and myself Friday off.

So essentially, having the next few days to myself — except for the time I spend in the Community Room at the Christmas party, instead of catching up on my reading, I think I’ll knock out a few tamales.

I ran across a recipe for Salmon Tamales. I do love salmon, so worth a try.

The recipe calls for diced raw salmon, but I think I'll cook it off a little.

Last time in the market, the Elf wasn’t front and center, just inside the door, in my face.

However, it wasn’t seconds later that I turned the first corner, saw Sparkle appearing to be playing basketball with a strawberry.



Better, but still not all that challenging, thought I.

After posting that find to Instagram, Twin 2 commented "I was just there and didn’t see jack diddly".

Debra over at She Who Seeks may have hit the nail on the head, when I complained about how easy it’s been to find the elf, commenting "maybe the market got complaints last year that the Elf was too hard to find" because, there she was in plain sight, and Twin 2 missed her.

24 comments:

  1. Hahahaha, not everyone has your Eagle Eye for spotting that elf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those tamales sound intriguing. I suspect the raw salmon would cook during the steaming time, so you could save the effort of pre-cooking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steaming should do the trick, but I generally cook my salmon longer than suggested and will need a little pre-cook to get it to where I like it.

      Delete
  3. From the first picture of the Elf I could see how it would be easy to missed. I'd be looking in the case at the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But it was Taylor Swift's birthday today too! (Maybe since her boyfriend is here in K.C., we're more in tune to this lovely couple.)
    Love Sparky playing basketball with a strawberry. Wonder how many produce guys have played with the fruit in sports, that we eventually choose to eat?
    (When I worked Wendy's a long time ago, the young guys loved to THROW the frozen breaded chicken cutlets across the room into the deep fryer pressure cooker!) It was an adventure. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did Taylor get a promise ring for her birthday? BTW, I told you incorrectly when you asked if we'd ever had a boy elf. Looking back, we once had a boy elf named Jippy.

      Delete
    2. I read where Taylor was in NY with her friends, and that Travis sent flowers. Maybe she doesn't want to hang out with a guy on a team that loses too many times! Linda in Kansas

      Delete
    3. Oh Oh. Are we going to get another song about a loser guy from Taylor?

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Instead of She Who Seeks, her blog name should be She Who Knows.

      Delete
  6. I think in a former life you may have been an elf hunter and those instincts followed you into this life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a relief to think I may have been an elf hunter in a former life, because I've always thought perhaps I'd been a witch .... and not necessarily a good witch 😬.

      Delete
  7. Basketball with a strawberry - apt description.
    I agree that the store can't make it too hard, or else it'd be no fun. You're in the advanced league.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see where she is my next market visit.

      Delete
  8. Have fun at your party. Which cup are you bringing with you for real or in spirit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always take the Wonder Woman thermos, full of coffee. But, if I were to take a cup to the room, considering I'll be inviting folks to look in the ugly sweater mirror, see how ugly an elf you make, it would have to be Sorry Santa, Naughty Just Feels So Nice.

      Delete
  9. Since the prize is an inexpensive one they don't mind making it easy- more children can take part that way. That's my guess! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably, because I don't see children having the patience and focus to hunt for long. Though there was one year I couldn't find the elf but, as I was leaving, I overheard a little girl say where it was.

      Delete
  10. I just read your previous post about your "senior moments" but based on your elf-finding accomplishments I don't think you have anything to worry about. And I love the slogans on your coffee cups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just think I was tired from not sleeping well or straight through (family issue), but I slept longer this morning, feel more like myself.

      Delete
  11. Maybe they will hide Sparkle in harder places from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm anxious to see. I think my next time in the market will be Monday.

      Delete