Monday, December 11, 2023

On the 11th Day of Christmas

Get your tea ready for another episode of Tales of the Complex.

The resident who just moved into the vacant unit of the quad last week — the evicted Smoker’s unit, is already trying to move out.

Let’s call her CCAB for Can't Catch a Break.

Though I’ve not yet met CCAB, but seeing a dresser drawer on the patio since the day she moved in, I’d begun to think we’d been stuck with another wackadoodle, like the girl in the unit beneath mine.


So, running into Red Light over the weekend, figuring she'd probably knocked on CCAB's door to welcome her to the quad, I inquired "How's your new neighbor working out?"

"She’s nice but trying to move out already".

Turns out, CCAB is not entirely new. She’d been living on the opposite side of the complex, asked to be moved because one of the residents in that building was a hoarder, which hoarding resulted in a roach problem, not only in CCAB’s unit but in her furnishings as well.

Thus, the reason why her dresser is on the patio, rather than inside.

However, if she fears the dresser is infected, she should just throw it in the trash, not bring it anywhere near any of us.

Red Light is worried. So worried that she has been setting traps around her own unit, so nothing can creep in from furniture CCAB brought with her, or from the dresser on the patio.

As for why CCAB has requested to be moved — evidently, management did not do a good enough or thorough enough job of getting rid of the toxic odor of cigarette smoke left behind by Smoker.

It’s a situation of from the frying pan to the fire for CCAB. She fled a roach infestation, now she’s subjected to breathing toxic air.

Pest Control is on the property once-a-week, spraying stuff outside around the buildings, and is available to spray inside upon request. Knowing this, I asked Red Light how the roach problem was allowed to get so bad for CCAB.

"They won't" (meaning management wouldn't send pest control to the hoarder's unit).

I find that hard to believe, but inasmuch as I had the same problem with former manager Nurse Ratched when termites were swarming, it could very well be true.

I forget how many weeks it took for that dumb beoch Nurse Ratched to get Termite Control up here, but I do recall it took weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks of my badgering, complaining, and her lying about Termite Control will be here date specific to take care of the issue, only to learn she'd lied, had not scheduled them.

It ended with her, frustrated by my persistence, sending Head Maintenance Guy up here to "vacuum up dead bugs", with his reporting back to her that termites were swarming, her showing up to see for herself saying, "I thought they were ..." I don't recall the stupid response she came up with what she thought.

At any rate, Termite Control showed up pretty quick after that, handled the issue.

So, it is entirely possible management is not handling, and does not care about the infestation caused by the hoarder.

Moving out is not looking good for CCAB, as I’m told she’s on the county roll and the county has refused the request, telling her the rule is she has to stay in one place for a year.

A year of breathing toxic air can result in serious health issues so, if management and the county won’t help, and she has no other options, I’d invest in a gas mask to tough it out, maybe get rid of the dresser on the patio, set up a tent, do most of my daily living outside, in fresh air, embarrassing management.

Having seen CCAB being shown the unit by Assistant Maintenance Guy, I asked "Didn’t she smell it when shown the unit?"

I don’t know how true it is but, according to Red Light, management didn’t let her see the unit before she signed the lease.

I just don’t know about not letting her or her being so anxious to get out of the other building that she just went ahead, signed, is now stuck with.

Not only is this a problem for CCAB's health, but because she's using the heater, further stirring up the smell of cigarettes, that smell is travelling through the vents, reaching the unit on the back side. That resident is already complaining of feeling ill to management.

It’s a mess and not looking good for those being affected.

As an aside, it might help if, instead of keeping the little kitchen window and patio sliding door — the only sources of fresh air for that unit shut tight, that she at least leave these areas open during the day, air the place out.

26 comments:

  1. How sad. Don't think I'd ever sign a lease without looking at the property no matter how poor I am. Not sure the heavy smoke smell can ever get eliminated. She could move to the bingo room, and it's got a fridge! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "She could move to the bingo room, and it's got a fridge!" 🤣

      Delete
  2. Yes, I'm surprised she's not at least trying to air the place out. There are plenty of things that can be done to remove any trace of a smoker. Motels and hotels have been doing it for years. That management team sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about to suck even more. Assistant Manager is transferring to another location to "live closer to family". She's the only one here that even tries to be kind to us. No telling what we'll get as her replacement, not to mention there may be more to her transferring outta here that what she's saying.

      Delete
  3. Yee Gods! The saga rolls on! I think there are things to do about smoke toxic rooms/homes, but I seriously doubt if this management would extend themselves short of giving the lady a can of Glade. The story about the roaches is really disgusting. Those suckers can infiltrate a whole building. Yes, the lady could move into the bingo room with the refrig....but doesn't it have a lock on it? Can't catch a break, indeed!
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor thing is making it worse by locking herself up inside, just like the Smoker did and yes, fridge is still locked up. A request has been put in to at least allow us to use it for refreshments being brought to Friday's Christmas Party. I'll let you know if that request is approved or denied ... my money is on denied.

      Delete
  4. It would be cheater and less trouble for management to get a good quality paint that is made for sealing in odors than to have her move again and have an apartment sit empty. I'll bet they just painted over the smoky walls without first washing them. We used to be landlords and had to deal with this situation back before it was common for people to take their smoking outside. As for the dresser on the deck, is she crazy? Roaches will find their way inside! The hoarder needs to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess is that's what they did ... painted over. As for the dresser on the patio, it's a lease violation to have anything other than patio furnishings on the patio. So, getting a violation is probably in her future.

      Delete
  5. What a mess! I hope at least no roaches migrated with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO! If I see just one, I'm calling for a visit from the pest control guy.

      Delete
  6. I could not, would not, live in a place that reeks of cigarette smoke; she needs to contact the management company or the housing people, and something needs to be done.
    And get that dresser off the patio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thus far, management and housing are failing her. Going to Corporate would be a waste of time. She's just SOL but, if management gets notice of an impending inspection, I bet they get that dresser off the patio quick fast and in a hurry.

      Delete
  7. If the unit wasn't painted, she should buy some primer called Kilz. There are different types of Kilz. She should go to their website. Then repaint with any paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw flooring going in. Not sure if I saw paint but they must have done because smoking leaves discolorations that can't be missed unless painted over.

      Delete
  8. paint will help done as Mike says above, but if there are carpets anywhere they have to go because they hold smoke. Most often cleaning the carpets does nothing. I'm sure a good cleaning company can help with this but it's costly and I'm sure your management wouldn't fork over the $$ for this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. The way they treat the ones that have no voice and no options is criminal.

      Delete
  10. Not seeing the unit before signing the lease would have been a red flag for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd not thought of that but you're right, red flag.

      Delete
  11. Ooh, never sign a lease, sight unseen.
    Smoke lingers "forever". Seems like management should replace carpets, drapes, etc. Probably won't happen.
    "set up a tent, do most of my daily living outside, in fresh air, embarrassing management. " - I like that plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see fake wood flooring come in. They installed it in the front room. Not sure if they took out the old bedroom carpet, continued the flooring. As for embarrassing management, one has to know how to not be a victim, play the game. Outwit, Outlast, Outplay.

      Delete
  12. Google third hand smoke remedies. Air purifier should help. Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a good idea. If I ever see her outside, get into a conversation, I'll mention that.

      Delete
  13. My front door and my back door are located so that if I open both I get a good pull of air through the house. Sometimes I just have to air my house out,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine NOT letting fresh air to flow through, yet the new neighbor is locked up tight and the girl in the unit beneath mine does the same.

      Delete