Monday, September 24, 2018

The Pause that Refreshes

The three-day meditation retreat was a nice respite.
Checking into the room, pulling back the curtains, my view was Mother’s Beach/Marina Beach.




The Beach, being directly across the street, I immediately headed out to run my toes through the sand.
The sand was warm.


I wonder how long my footprints lasted.


The red arrow is a view of my room from the Beach side of the street.


There were fabulous restaurants in the hotel and within walking distance but, of course, I had to pass on eating out so as not to get sick during or after the session. What with my Instant Pot and Mini Toaster (to toast my self-made bagels), I turned a corner of the room into a kitchen.


It’s a good thing the hotel offered the option of Daily Maid Service or travel rewards for opting out because, even though the room was posted for "No Smoking" and not "No Cooking", I wasn’t sure if I’d get in trouble for cooking in the room, so I opted out because I didn’t want the Maid to see and turn me in.
I made a new enlightened friend at the session, caught up with an old enlightened friend, made it to the beach often ─ early morning before session and during the long lunch break, and made it to the Venice Boardwalk on Sunday afternoon, after the session was over.
Would you believe I grew up just a hop skip jump from the World-Famous Boardwalk and never went? 
I missed seeing the Boardwalk during those Muscle Beach days, because I was young, not street savvy, didn’t think it was safe ─ because I carried myself like a victim and consequently got myself victimized day and night.
Now that I’m old, street savvy and carry myself like I’m not to be messed with, I had no problem heading out alone for the Boardwalk during the day, but learned from the hotel concierge that the Boardwalk is not safe during evening and night hours for anyone.
From some of the people I saw, the ganja I smelled, he didn’t lie, but the Boardwalk was fun, interesting.







Sand Sculpture

???? Your guess is as good as mine

Looks like the beginning of a mermaid

Definitely a mermaid

Driving on the freeway to the retreat, I spied a mural I just had to take a photo of. Traffic was too thick to exit then, but I made a point of finding my way to the building where I’d seen that mural on the way home this morning.
Found it.


Fabulous!
So returning to the complex feeling refreshed, energetic, emotionally lite, I don’t want to come down just yet -- get bogged down by the seniors with their complaints and dramas, so I doubt I’ll be checking in for a while.

3 comments:

  1. Why ever are you living in a senior complex.
    Yes, everyone is in school, the sand is warm, and life is good on the beach if I remember to go. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in a senior complex because the trade off is I can live within my means. Rents are outrageous, especially near the beach communities, but here the rent is manageable and rent controlled. However, if and when I win the lottery, it's goodbye seniors hello millennials.

      Delete