Tuesday, September 4, 2018

The Invisible Woman

The sore throat and ear infection I brought back with me from the Long Beach/San Pedro area were easily handled with a vinegar/hot water gargle and a few drops of garlic ear oil, so I made it down yesterday to the seniors’ Labor Day BBQ. I even ran by the market to pick up a dish to contribute ─ Klondike Bars because my days of slaving over deviled eggs are over and done with.
It was an okay spread ...


Chicken and Ribs

Potato Salad and Baked Beans

More Potato Salad, Macaroni Salad, Lentil/Rice Soup

In attendance were the usual suspects. I counted about 20 of us inside, three at one of the patio tables, and three others (not pictured) outside.



Two of the attendees not pictured were residents I was surprised to see, as they don’t normally attend the Resident Volunteer Activity Committee events ─ The woman who said, “Don’t put me on no facebook” and the Little Bully. No personal or particular reasons they don’t attend, they either just never do or, it’s entirely possible, they don’t get the word and this time they did.
Church Lady was surprisingly absent, but The Seer and Shadow made an appearance.
The Seer was once again in defensive mode, announcing a loud warning as she entered, that “Nobody better not saying nothing to me” ─  meaning don't say anything she might take issue with, then she came over and chatted with me for a second.
For the life of me, I can’t remember what we talked about. It may have been asking me what I’ve been up to, because it’s been a long while, since undergoing a radical personality change, which has her now travelling a different path, that she’s opted to chat with me.
In fact, it was not only The Seer but more residents than I can count who looked surprised to see me and asked what I’ve been up to indicating they’d not seen me in such a long time.
I found that strange because I check in with the folks most Pizza Tuesdays and occasionally head down for Bingo, walk to the Mail Center, go weigh myself on the scale in the Game Room, so if people are not seeing me out and about it must mean I’ve attained a super power ─ Invisibility.
Most surprising of all was when the neighbor who lives upstairs across the quad over Nosey expressed surprise to see me saying, “Where have you been? I don’t see you anymore. I use to see you heading to the market, but not for a long time and your car never moves.”


I really didn’t know what to say because she can look out her patio window, see my patio and can’t help but notice the blinds close at night, open in the morning to know I’m around. Plus, the car wasn’t there Friday and Saturday when I’d gone out-of-town, and multiple times before that as I headed out to pick up packages at the Amazon Locker, hunting Pokémon and other errands.
At any rate, today is once again Pizza Tuesday, so it’s business as usual here at the complex. After having spent time with the seniors yesterday, I’ve no desire to do anything but needlepoint and catch up on recorded television programs today, so I’m going to make myself even more invisible by staying indoors today.

1 comment:

  1. Bicycle, walk, swim, LOL I am getting fat and lazy just studying.

    ReplyDelete