Friday, September 7, 2018

8 Years Not a Slave

While at the market the other day, picking up waffle bowls, ice cream toppings and a birthday card for The Baker, I spied this at the card station.


I snapped a photo, posted to Facebook with the caption, “Something I’ll never have to celebrate again. Thank God!”
Got a lot of likes from friends still slaving away in the workforce, no end in sight.
Then I thought Oh, wait ... you retired a month before Boss Day, so you should be rolling up on another anniversary.
I double checked and sure enough ... today is the day!


I generally celebrate by purchasing the latest Starbucks Anniversary mug, because our anniversaries coincide and there is a new design every year. So though I need another coffee mug like I need a hole in the head, no need to buck the tradition. I’ll be popping into Starbucks today to add another mug to the collection.
I took off my cloak of invisibility yesterday and joined the seniors for Bingo, but only because Apache and I had planned that ice cream bar to celebrate The Baker’s birthday.
The Baker was all smiles and, to use her words, “Very much surprised”, so good job us.
The choice of ice cream started off with vanilla, because we had so many toppings ─ caramel, chocolate, strawberry, granulated peanuts and cherries.
A new guy has been consistently hanging with the regulars for a long time now -- I think he even received a mention or two in the blog as "new guy".  At any rate, he needs a name, but I can’t think of him in any way suitable other than he's fairly new and the fact he’s the third guy in the group. So let's call him Third Guy ... first being Apache, second being Shadow.
So anyway, Third Guy declined the ice cream saying, “Too much sugar”.
“Oh, are you diabetic?” asked I.
“The doctor said I needed to cut down”.
Perfectly understandable. But then, we ran out of vanilla and pulled out the very rich pecan praline.
Third Guy saw the praline and said, “I want some of that”.
My mouth ran away with me and blurted out, “Oh, I see. This one is not too much sugar for you?" Then to top it off, my mouth also added, " You are so sometimey”.
He looked sheepish, but fortunately laughed.
At any rate, the seniors LOVED the eatable waffle bowls.



I didn’t eat one but, while the seniors indulged in ice cream, I did use a waffle bowl as a cup for what I could eat — fruit.


5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. LOL. That was pretty much the way the seniors reacted.

      Delete
  2. That was a great way to serve ice cream. Although I can't eat ice cream, I do love the waffle bowls and would have done as you did, fill it with fruit and then eat the bowl when finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Editable waffle bowls sure made for easy clean up.

      Delete