Sunday, January 23, 2022

No News is Good News

It’s been a quiet few days, and I like it like this.

There was an errand I’ve been wanting to run since after Friday’s workout, but the high winds sent me straight back to the complex and is keeping me inside. Winds so high that I could barely make it to the dumpster or mail center yesterday.

So, thus far, it's been a peaceful weekend of catching up on recorded TV programs, needlepoint, meditating, and thinking about how I could simplify my surroundings and/or move things around to display my latest acquisition.

My friend Q recently lost his partner Ron to a non-Covid related illness and thought I might like some of the items left behind in the china cupboard.

I did indeed.

So, after pondering, thinking, moving other things around in my mind, I find I can't squeeze them in. I need a bigger unit with more storage and display space.

Since that isn’t going to happen, unless and until I win the Lottery, looks like I’ll have to bubble wrap and put in storage.


I think what I have here are Vintage Black Americana Aunt Jemima salt/pepper shakers, cookie jar an Uncle Remus shaker and a nameless Chef.

Some find these collectibles offensive/racist.

I’m not that uptight.

In fact, I can remember back when the elementary school I attended offered summer arts/craft classes, and we painted ceramic figurines, I’d paint mine jet black.

Even now, I do needlepoints depicting Black and Brown people and, back when I was making mop dolls, I’d do their faces black, brown, beige.

I showed you the Black Cowgirl back in July, but my favorite mop doll is one that will display nicely with the Black Americana I received.


This doll, along with the cowgirl, and a kazillion other items, are in storage until, like I said, the Lottery comes along and I have more space.

11 comments:

  1. Those are amazing collectibles. And you hand made those mop dolls? There's probably a museum that would like some of those items. You could research and write a little book about how and where all of those things became popular.
    I miss Aunt Jemima on my box of pancake mix. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gone are Aunt Jemima AND Uncle Ben. Why? Because it doesn't seem to have changed anything insofar as some people's perception of other races. Yes, I made this mop doll and many more. Back in the day, I'd sell them for $35-$50 but friends and bosses would get as a Christmas or Birthday gift. This one I used black dye on the mop head and made the face of black fabric.

      Delete
  2. Hey, nothing wrong with that kind of weekend, I had one myself with what, our bitter cold here.

    And I absolutely love your vintage Black Americana Aunt Jemima salt/pepper shakers, cookie jar and Uncle Remus shaker. I don't find them offensive either, and they are after all, a part of our history. I had read an article about the great granddaughter or granddaughter, of the lady who started Aunt Jemima pancakes and syrups and she said her grandmother would be very heartbroken that her likeness and branding she gave the company is now gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if, while those likenesses were used, the family got paid and if now there is not that income coming in.

      Delete
  3. Black Americana is something that as a Collectible are significant, you you're Right, people have a Love/Hate relationship with them quite often. Even in the Antique Mall, we sometimes will receive complaints about those Displayed because some folks find them Racist and Offensive. I have a Vintage Tablecloth that is a Black Americana one and a Tea Towel to match it... the graphics on it are exaggerated tropes to be sure, but it is a part of History. I have a WW2 Vintage Tablecloth with Japanese and German character graphics on it that are quire exaggerated too. Plus some Native American Souvenirs that are exaggerated and yet my Dad and I never found them to be offensive, just part of History, one we both recall and existed. I remember wanting my Parents to find a Native American Baby Doll for me as a Kid that looked more like a Baby I Imagined I'd have... since the Blonde/Blue Eyed Dolls didn't seem a likely fit. I Wish I'd kept the one they found, it might be worth a lot now? *LOL* I like your Collection, too bad you cannot display them. Perhaps rotate them in and out with some other things, that's what I do when I don't have a lot of room for Displays now we've downsized the size of the Home we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I previously had amassed a collection of Black Americana and, during a move, knowing I'd not have room for, I gave to Twin 2. Unfortunately, during a time she was desperate for funds, she sold to an antique store in Murrietta. These I'll hang onto, even if I have no room to display but Twin 1 has called dibs on them upon my death. LOL.

      Delete
  4. I read that Oprah collects Black Americana too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She can afford to. When I first began collecting, I'd find them for little of nothing at yard sales, craft shows. However, that was a long time ago and now they're being offered for sale at hundreds of dollars. It was very generous of Q to gift to me for nothing.

      Delete
  5. I don't find the Black Americana pieces offensive, but I wouldn't collect them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your new collection. It's funny but when I was younger and saw Uncle Bens I just assumed he was the farmer of the rice and Aunt Jemima reminded me of an aunt bustling about in her kitchen making sure everyone had enough to eat and handing out advice/ hugs when needed. They always had positive connotations for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to think about this one. If they offended you, you wouldn't have taken them. But as collectible's I think they are pretty neat. I think you are like me preferring to see the positive, so I think they are a great find.

    ReplyDelete