Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Senior Moment

Putting the Santa Claus doormat back in storage New Year’s Day, pulling out my regular Kokopelli mat, I saw it was looking ratty.


What with wind, rain, direct sunlight, doormats don’t look pretty for very long, and a ratty looking entry way is bad chi, so I went searching for a new one.

I would have liked another Kokopelli, but it was no longer available, so I ordered a mat called Pueblo Choir, because it had a lot of red in it, and a red doormat is good chi.

Then, a few days ago, looking at the Kokopelli door mat, it occurred to me that I needed to get rid of it, purchase a new one. So, I went searching — completely spazzing out on having already done so until the Pueblo Choir mat arrived late Monday night.


I even actually came close to ordering the exact same Pueblo Choir when I went looking for a mat that second time, but ended up ordering Black Boots.


Not much red in it, but enough.

Once I realized I’d double-ordered, I tried to cancel the boots mat, but the cancellation window had closed. I can either return it in-store when it arrives or put it away until I next need a new doormat.

It might not be available next time I need to order, so I think I’ll put it in storage, stockpile for later.

Heading for the trash bin yesterday, with the ratty doormat, I ran into Church Lady.

I'd seen her heading down the walkway a few days ago, so stooped over as to almost be bent in half, and became worried about her.

Church Lady and I are the same age, our birthdays just days apart.

Not sure if her stoop is the result of continuous bad posture, or carrying the weight of all the no no’s and thou shall not's she lugs around on her shoulders, or a spinal thing, I’d wondered if I should inquire next time I ran into her outside, ask if she was seeing a doctor, but then decided not.

I don’t need any more people in my life to worry about.

So, chatting with her, I avoided the subject of her health, just listened to her talk about this that the other.

It was Pizza Tuesday, but she said Pizza was cancelled because, as the Tyrant told her, "Omicron is running rampant through the complex".

Being as how I see so few wearing masks, I’m not surprised.

She also warned me to be careful because “a strange man had been pounding on D’s (the assault victim) door late one night”.

If that’s the lie D is trying to sell — that she didn't know who the guy was, well then sure, okay. I’ll play along.

Church lady also said her "unit is falling apart". I didn’t ask details but assume the Tyrant is not fixing things — same as with me. Difference is, I badger until it gets done; but most here are frightened, too intimidated to complain for fear of being kicked out.

It’s terrible to be old, living in fear, but that seems to be the general demeanor among residents — don’t make waves, don’t complain.

I don’t want to get kicked out either, because the cheap rent is such a gift, but that doesn’t stop me from pushing for days, weeks, months, in some case years (that formerly malfunctioning smoke detector), until it gets done.

At any rate, when Church Lady said she was headed over to Jan’s unit to sit for a while, and I said I was taking the doormat to the dumpster, she asked what was wrong with it.

"Tired looking and worn" said I, to which she said looked good to her and asked to have it.

Fine by me. It’s infused with my good energy, so maybe it will bring her luck.

14 comments:

  1. Both new mats are cute, but the second one is SO you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so is. I may switch out and put the Pueblo Choir in storage for later.

      Delete
  2. Glad you've figured out the entry mats. Could switch them every month just for fun. I haven't done it online, but I've purchased things at the store or hardware store, and then found what I thought didn't exist at home. Keep staying safe! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. "then found what I thought didn't exist at home" ... LOL. Been there done that. Switching might be a good idea. Will last longer that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red = good chi. I'll remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like I'm converting you to the feng shui way.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I like the red (the boots are sweet too). Could you put one out and one inside the door or does the weather shield on the door bottom prevent this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd break my neck with one inside the door. I'd either forget it was there, fall face forward or step on, it slides and I'd fall backwards :-/

      Delete
  6. It is a shame the Elderly should ever be so intimidated as to live in fear, our Culture in America certainly doesn't respect Elders to the degree many other Societies do nor Honor them. Like both new Mats so glad you kept both, I've bought the same Book a couple times, forgetting I already had it, but liking it so much I bought it again... sometimes you can return it, sometimes you can't. Seems like the Assault Victim may indeed know her Attacker and be fearful of retaliation if she ID's him? That too is a form of intimidation that many Offenders use so as not to face consequences of their crimes. So, Omicron is burning thru your Complex? Seems to be burning thru Society, I fear we all may end up with it actually, too much carelessness and nonchalance about it to have kept it from spreading like wildfire. We're all sick here but no Tests to be had so since symptoms are similar for Colds, Flu, whatever, hard to conclusively know one's actual status either with the lack of Testing available in some parts. Bloggers I know have same Symptoms as we're having and Tested Negative, so perhaps it's something other than The Rona, I wouldn't know, but we Isolate and Self-Quarantine for Days to be on the safe side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I do that with magazines ... forget I'd already bought, buy again. I think D was more embarrassed than fearful of retaliation, maybe even traumatized, but who knows.

      Delete
  7. The door mats are both cute. I like a new door mat. It makes me smile going into my house. I think I'll look for a new one next time I go shopping. I haven't been shopping in so long, I may have forgotten how to spend money - not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's not much to choose from that's out in the real world. Online gives more options.

    ReplyDelete