Wednesday, January 19, 2022

This 'n That

I’ve been debating whether or not to show up, register in person for a 5K taking place this coming Saturday.

I’d assumed the event would be cancelled, due to Omicron but, when notices began hitting my inbox two weeks ago — indicating it was still on, I’d tried to register online but then suspected a scam when the organizer’s website came up as "unsecured".

Attempts to contact the organizer by phone led nowhere, until I finally made contact three days ago and was told registering on-site was permissible.

So now, the only roadblock is … do I want to get up at 4 A.M. in order to bathe, get dressed, eat, drive to the race site?

I did my first 5K at age 67, with the organization hosting this weekend’s event, and was instantly hooked.



It was January 22, 2011, and now here we are with seventy-two additional 5K’s (for a total of 73) under my belt.

How they managed, 11 years later, to arrange the event to fall on the same date, January 22, is quite a feat.

At any rate, I was leaving it at I’ll set the alarm for 4:00 and, if I’m not resentful at being awakened so early, I’ll get up, head out.

Thankfully, I ran into my friend The Archeologist today and, when I mentioned the 5K to her, she said she was aware of it, but wasn’t going, because they’re not giving out medals this year — only tee shirts.

That settled it for me. I’ll get up early for a medal but NOT for a tee, so sleep in this Saturday I will.

Returning from this morning’s workout, there on the doormat was the charger for the laptop.


And YES, I did switch out the new doormat for the newest one, because I love the boots sooooo much.

 I didn’t put express delivery on the laptop’s charger, but express is what I got.

The charger fit. The Laptop is up and running, so that's off the to-do list.

Now I have to squeeze in time to get the cellphone fixed.

It all of a sudden stopped giving me a notification sound when messages arrive, and I’ve tried all the fixes suggested.

Technology can be Hell.

19 comments:

  1. Sleep is a good thing, especially in the middle of the night.
    My iPhone did the same thing! I went to Settings, Notifications, and "Allow Notifications" had been turned off! I didn't do that. Even frantically pushing buttons couldn't have put me in a place to accidentally turn that off. I think when I permitted the latest update for the iPhone, it turned that off. Give it a try. I'd searched all over to figure it out. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already tried that. tried rebooting. Just now double checked notifications, still everything looks fine. Only thing I haven't tried, but would like to, is tossing the cellphone out the car onto the freeway.

      Delete
    2. Awwww, don't do that! LOL. (Uh, the speaker volume is up, right?) Find a youngster to straighten it out in their techie mysterious way. Linda in Kanss

      Delete
    3. Oh yes. Volume is up. This Samsung cost a fortune, is less than a year old, and with problems already ... maybe I'll spring for an iPhone next time.

      Delete
  2. I don't know if I'd get up at 4AM even for a medal!!!


    Love the doormat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had I gotten up at 4, travelled to the site, I'd have gone postal upon completing the race to find no medal. The mat is called Black Boots. How perfect is that!

      Delete
  3. 1. 4am is about the time when I go to bed.
    2. I would go (after 12 noon) for the t-shirt and not the medal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tempted to believe you are the night owl you claim to be, because you go shopping late night, but color me skeptical about 4am.

      Delete
  4. You do you. There will be other 5Ks for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Technology can be hell. I hate that my old laptop stopped working. I'm glad the charger worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Newer, with all the fancy thingies, isn't proving to be better than old and reliable.

      Delete
  6. Ah, Tech Hell, Yes, I think we've all visited that level of Pergatory. I am impressed with your 5K Resume but think for a Tee it wouldn't be worth it either to add to your cache' of Prizes/Winnings. Why do you suppose they aborted handing out Medals, Supply Chain Issues? *LOL* Well, given present shortages of very random stuff, I wouldn't be Surprised. The Doormat is SO YOU, even tho' I do like the alternate one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right about the supply chain issue.

      Delete
  7. Technology IS Hell. Glad you the laptop working. After spilling coffee in my computer-before-this one. I hope I don't have to deal with any computer - or phone - issues for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete