Saturday, August 12, 2023

They Don’t Know Me Like That

Returning to my unit from bingo on Thursday, I became aware of the strong smell of cigarette smoke in the air.

So strong that, by the time I’d made it inside, a headache had developed.

The smell was coming from the unit of the recently evicted Smoker.

The door and windows had been opened by what I could make out as two people, evidently hired by management to get the unit ready for new occupants.

I only saw the one guy, but could hear glass breaking and see movement inside while the one guy I did see was tossing trashed furnishings out.

He wasn’t wearing protective breathing gear.

How anyone could work in that toxic air is beyond me, when just the minute or two I breathed it in affected me; and just image the Smoker and her cat breathing it in for years and years.

I’m guessing that just the regular paint job and new carpeting isn’t going to rid the smell of smoke from that unit.

A weird thing happened to me after yesterday’s workout.

I got hugged.

By a male who doesn’t know me well enough for that.

To my amazement, I didn’t knee him in the groin. Instead, I took the hug like a champ.

It was the second time in this past week that a male who doesn’t know me that well grabbed and put me in a bear hug.

WTF? Is it my perfume?

The first unsolicited touching was the day I ended up at Sprouts Farmer’s Market while out looking to change financial institutions.

Standing in the veggie section perusing kale, I all of sudden felt an entire body right up against my left side.

Turning my head to see what the heck, there was a resident from the complex that I’ve exchanged pleasantries with, but don’t know all that well.

As soon as I turned my head, recognized who it was, I suddenly found myself positioned facing him and embraced in a bear hug.

I was frozen, so I'm sure I didn't turn myself. I think he just grabbed, turned me around, put me in that bear hug.

I can’t explain why my reaction was not to knee him in the groin. Instead, I was chill, allowed the hug like we were old friends, the hug normal and, after he released me, got into a conversation about how he’d gotten so far from the complex. He’d driven.

I always see him walking. Didn’t know he had a car, but no matter as I don’t know a thing about him even though he’s lived here at the complex for just as many years as I.

As for the hug, it didn't feel or appear to be anything other than a friendly hug, not sexual and, inasmuch as there’s a reason for everything, I didn’t dwell on it.

How some ever, inasmuch as an unsolicited hug happened to me again, I’m beginning to wonder what the Universe is trying to tell me.

This time it was the Security Guard at the market.

This is not the Security Guard that was the reason I stopped shopping at the corner market, went out of my way to shop elsewhere because he kept leering at me the same disgusting way Homegirl recently said Meat Man leered at her. This current security guard presents as friendly in a non-flirtatious way and is often seen chit chatting with customers — both male and female.

The only time I took any notice of him was when he made the blog for leaving his post to chase tail.

Other than that, it’s been a polite "Good afternoon ma’am" when I come in and "Have a nice day" when I leave with friendly responses back from me.

Accustomed to seeing him, I did wonder what happened when I did not see him at his station last two weeks and no one in his place. I’d assumed the store had gotten rid of the security people but, walking in after Thursday's workout, there he was.

"Hey, you’re back. I thought they’d gotten rid of you guys", said I.

Before I knew what was happening, he came from behind his dais and put me in a bear hug.

Again, instead of kneeing him in the groin, I was chill, accepted the hug and, after he released me, had a conversation as to his whereabouts.

What is happening here?

Neither of these guys know me well enough for that.

It’s like a weird oreo cookie situation — first hug from a White guy, second guy from a Black guy, chocolate me in the middle.

The frosting on the oreo is that I've been feeling like our Karen’s Dream Lover has been acting differently towards me last three times we ran into each other. I convinced myself it was my imagination, that I was seeing something that wasn’t there, but now I’m not so sure if he too hasn’t been bitten by whatever weird bug is going around.

Maybe it’s my perfume.

21 comments:

  1. If I ever meet you I'm going to give you a big hug. If I get a knee to the groin, how much money will I owe you? 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You readers DO know me like that, so I'd not chill but hug you back. However, if you still want a knee to the goin, no charge.

      Delete
    2. Now all I need is a free round trip plane ticket.

      Delete
  2. Probably "chill" is the correct reaction. They like you, they really like you! :D))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If those guys like me, it's because they don't know me, and you're going to have to explain :D)) as I don't know what it means.

      Delete
  3. Damn pheromones (hi, I’m Joan)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rather those pheromones attract something I want and can use, like a major lottery win.

      Delete
  4. The last time I got an unsolicited and unwanted hug from a man was in Maui quite a few years ago from a half-drunk Trump supporter from Alaska.Ugh, just my luck. I didn't knee him in the groin either. Too well trained in female compliance and self-preservation, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hug in that situation would be frightening and require calmness, keeping one's wits about oneself. Hunt him down later and F him up.

      Delete
  5. Maybe they're just wanting to provide some friendliness in the world. Even we nurses know to ask with open arms: "Do you need a hug?" You need one of the prank buzzers that people used to put in the palm of their hands before jokingly shaking hands with someone. Just attach it under your shirt on your tummy. (If you attach it to your lower bra line, it won't activate with a hug cuz you're beautifully endowed!) Better than the alternative responses of being mugged and attacked. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't need the show of friendliness, but maybe they did and got what they needed when I wasn't repulsed. A buzzer would be HILARIOUS and a good deterrent to a repeat.

      Delete
  6. If we ever meet in person, I promise to ask first if I can hug you -- because I do want to hug you. But these two do seem so inappropriate even if completely innocent. Simply irresistible? Maybe. But resist until you ask permission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For you, my friend, permission is hereby granted in advance because you DO know me like that.

      Delete
  7. Ugh! It only takes 3 seconds to ask “can I give you a hug?” How can these men be so clueless? I like hugs but not unsolicited ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, especially in this atmosphere of women fearing men because of Stalkers, the Harvey Weinstein's, Jeffrey Epstein's, Bill Cosby's of the world and No 45 grabbing 'em by the you know. Had they asked, I'd have responded with a polite "I'd rather you didn't".

      Delete
  8. What perfume are you wearing? I'm buying some! LOL!
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get yourself a bottle of Cinnabar by Estee Lauder, then let me know if you have to beat 'em off with a folding chair.

      Delete
    2. I might skip the folding chair if things look promising!
      Paranormal John

      Delete
  9. Maybe the universe is trying to tell you, you needed a hug. I got hugged by the new maintenance guy last year. But he was only on the job for about a month before he left. It's strange for someone you don't know to just come up and hug you. But like you, I just let it happen. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Universe would be wrong this time if it thought I needed a hug. I was perfectly fine, but now I have to hope that neither guy passed on something contagious. I wonder how guys would feel if it went the other way. If we just randomly walked up, hugged them. Bet they would be shocked, think something's wrong with us.

      Delete