Saturday, December 10, 2022

Gingerbread House Take 2

Following up on yesterday's plan to pick up another gingerbread house kit, I popped into the market after that morning’s workout.

While there, I quickly found the Elf, once again nestled in with other holiday items, partially hidden in a boat.



Seeing a mini house kit on sale, I purchased one for my next try at a build, a second one for the White Elephant Gift.

At sale price, I had to add something else to reach the $10 threshold Red Light wants. I chose to add an Ugly Sweater Cookie Kit.


So that’s killing two birds with one stone — a kit for myself to try, a package of two kits for the White Elephant Gift party.

Also, while there, I saw some little chocolate bars dressed up as $100,000 Santa bills.

Having a feeling I’d not seen the last of Talker’s granddaughter, that she’d be knocking on my door to give me a hug sometime in the future, I picked up a bar as a treat for her.


Heading to the checkout stand, the plan after paying was to stop by the Security Guard’s station, tease him about how wired … out there … off tha hook the young lady he was talking to when I entered seemed — the young lady who interrupted her conversation with him to loudly say to me, "Wow! Look how cute you are!"

As I’d entered the market, I observed the young lady talking to him — the Security Guard.

Unlike the former security guard that gave me inappropriate looks that made me so uncomfortable that I switched markets, this security guard presents as nice, normal, non-flirtatious and I’ve often seen him chit chatting with customers — both male and female.

On this particular day, the customer chatting him up was a young lady who looked quite cute wearing army fatigue top, fatigue leggings, braids in a bun over her head, with an afro hair wrap.

So here I was thinking she was cute and probably flirting with him, when she suddenly looked my way, interrupted her conversation with Security Guard, and loudly exclaimed, "Wow! Look how cute you are!"

"You’re cute too" said I and continued on my way.

At my age, it’s nice get a compliment but I really wasn’t looking any different than any other regular day, so I thought the compliment, especially spoken with such exuberance, was odd.

I figured something was wrong with her.

While in the market, I ran into the young lady once more.

She came up behind me and, as she passed looked back at me and said, "I remember you. You’re banging!".

"Banging" for you slang novices means looking great! terrific!

Reading her high energy body language, I became certain she was high, was on something.

So, the plan when leaving was to tease Security Guard about his girl being wired, but I never got the chance because, when I saw her heading for the exit door, say something to the Security Guard as she passed him, I saw a surprised look on his face and his eyes follow her as she walked through the exit door.

Another customer was exiting behind the young woman, whereupon Security Guard left his station and used the excuse of helping this second customer push her cart through the door.

Ostensibly, so he could see where the young lady was going no doubt.

THEN, after Security Guard helped the second customer through the door, I could see him hold the door open, look around outside, look back at his station as though he was having second thoughts about what he was about to do, then he continued outside.

Guess he saw what he’d been looking for — that young lady and was weighing his choice to go back to his post or go get her number before she left the lot.

He totally left his station.

Dereliction of Duty.

Abandoned his post to chase tail.

I suppose you all know what "tail" is slang for, LOL.

He had not asked anyone to take over while he left and had not returned by the time I left the market.

Would have been a good opportunity for shoplifters to get away scot free.

Once outside, I didn’t look too hard, but didn’t see either of them on the lot.

On another note, it was a good thing I followed my instincts and picked up those chocolate bars because, along about 4:00 this afternoon, there was a knock on the door.

Guess who wanted to give me a hug.


Looks like I’m going to have to keep some little treat on hand at all times.

NEWS FLASH: I heard from Red Light that decorating cookies is one of the activities for Friday’s White Elephant party.

All of a sudden, the gingerbread house kit and ugly sweater cookie kit don’t sound like such a good idea.

What do you think?

Is it too redundant?

NEWS FLASH: Two hours after the first knock on the door there was another.

Yes, it was she again. This time Talker's grandaughter had a gift for me — a flower she'd probably plucked from somewhere on the property and said, "I love you".

Nice, but WTF?!

18 comments:

  1. Talker's little granddaughter is clearly your Number One Fan! I'd still take the house/cookie kits for the White Elephant gift exchange. I don't think they're redundant at all. Someone will be thrilled to take them home, perhaps for themselves or as an activity with grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness, cause I really didn't want to go shopping for a different gift.

      Delete
  2. I still think your gifts are a good idea - something to do at home or with grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! With your and Debra's comment, I'm feeling better about sticking with the kits.

      Delete
  3. I think your gifts are banging! And no I don't keep up with slang anymore. One that I wish would go away is 'dope'. I just think it sounds dumb. It's not banging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for weighing in on sticking with the kits. Your comment is dope 🤣

      Delete
  4. I prefer old slang, where the word matched with the action! I don't think your upcoming gifts are redundant. Take them! Decorating cookies is different than your gifts. Hope your new friend doesn't knock so frequently that the Talker learns more than you want about YOU. The single little flower might have been when the girl ran an errand for Talker. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little friend has already knocked too frequently and I'm an open book, nothing to hide and find I am frequently the topic of conversation around here because others are as observant of me as I am of them. I think that's why I feel so safe here ... because others have observed when I didn't even know they were watching.

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to see house number 2! Maybe one of the those baking challenge Christmas themed show next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you were a reader the year I tried to build a Starbucks kit and it took three tries, three different purchases of the same kit before getting a build suitable for showing. It's looking like this build is going to be like that year.

      Delete
  6. I think the two decorating kits are still perfect gifts for the white elephant. I guess young lady and security guard were banging, too. He's a disappointment. She could have simply been a decoy to leave the store unguarded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike because it later occurred to me that she could have been a decoy.

      Delete
  7. Please take the kits. They will be well received as fun project and also edible. Win/win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the plan. Will be interesting to see how it fares in the exchange.

      Delete
  8. The decorating kits would be such a great and fun gift. I love that idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope whoever gets it has more patience than I in putting it together.

      Delete
  9. Hey! Just had to say, I've seen your Hero Twin on all of those commercials promoting this year's CNN Hero of the Year. Pretty cool. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a better mom than I because I didn't even know about the commercials. Haven't even seen any.

      Delete