Wednesday, August 16, 2023

I’m a Little Late but ……


Dealing with a difficult sewing project when the news came down, though it was good to know Jaw Jah came through, I was teetering on the edge and just couldn’t with 45 at the time.

As for what had frustrated me, pushed me to the edge ...... after Monday’s workout, I’d spent the remainder of the afternoon, well into late night, trying to stitch up a "simple/easy" sewing machine cover, to replace the current torn, tattered, held together with duct tape cover.

Simple and easy though the tutorial indicated the project was, it ended up being like something from Ikea.

Math was involved, and math being my Achilles Heel, the first eight hours of a 3-hour project did not go well.

Quite a bit of fabric was harmed in that first attempt, because measure twice cut once wasn’t working with the measurements I’d come up with.

I went to bed frustrated that night, but determined to start fresh the next morning …… Tuesday — the day of Activity Director’s End of Summer Luncheon.

I’d planned to attend ─ not for the food, which I was sure there would be nothing I could eat anyway, but for the tea, then decided my time would be better served running a few quick errands, and giving the sewing machine cover another go.

There was much trial, error, tweaking before I understood what I was doing and today completed a cover after this morning's workout.

Problem was, it came up short, didn’t fit my machine lengthwise.

Once again, problems with my calculations.

No way was I going to purchase more fabric, start all over. So, ingenuity came into play. I cut the cover in half, right down the center, added a strip of fabric to lengthen and …….

From this


To this

Not exactly what and how the tutorial instructed, and 3 hours turned into 3 days, a total of 22 hours, but I got her done. Even added a pocket to house the pedal.

I’m thinking it needs an opening for the machine handle, so I’ll work that in …… eventually.

Skelly wanted to sew along, so I bought him a machine.



26 comments:

  1. that looks better than what the original was suppose to look like good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new, never-ending sewing machine cover is beautiful! Instead of cutting a hole for the handle, just put the cover on after it's where you want it. Seems Skelly had some extra hands to help sew! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skelly said to tell you "Four hand are better than two".

      Delete
  3. You could add little hashmarks on your cup for the number of times....in matching thin black fingernail polish. I I I I begins to look like a jail cell! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fabric on your new cover. Kudos for hanging in there on the 3-hour project. Thought of you when I saw a meme yesterday…”Lift every chair and swing.” You know the song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I love his little Flying Monkeys getting indicted, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just amazes me how many Flying Monkeys have hitched themselves to this fool and lost their reputations, careers. Pompous arrogant pieces of junk to think that hitching their fortunes to him would take them places. On the other hand, it did .... to prison.

      Delete
  6. That cover is a work of art. So worth the 3+ hours. Skelly and his machine go well together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and now that the frustration of piecing it together is behind me, I can enjoy having such a unique cover.

      Delete
  7. Your sewing machine cover looks great and that was a wonderful solution for correcting an issue with the size. I recently bought myself a new sewing machine but am lucky a cover came with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have liked to purchase a cover made for my machine, better than the plastic cover it came with, but the machine was a special issue some years ago and covers were out of stock.

      Delete
  8. I am always impressed by your sewing skills! I vividly remember you whipping up leggings when you needed them! The machine cover turned out great and I love the fabric, which looks African. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric was left over from previous projects. I was lucky to have enough, even with ruining some by my poor math skills.

      Delete
  9. Wow, the cover turned out fabulous!
    Now I'm wondering why I don't have a cover for my machine. Adding it to the to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No cover at all????? Not even the plastic cover to protect the inner workings from dust????

      Delete
  10. Your sewing machine cover looks fabulous! So what if it took 3 days? It was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that the frustrations are behind me, I'm more and more pleased with the results, even though I had to break up the denim top to add fabric through the entire middle to lengthen.

      Delete
  11. That reminds of the times when I was trying to make patterns into my beaded earrings. Math was involved with that too and it just took so long to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn math. That's what calculators are supposed to do.

      Delete
  12. Tundra Bunny here...

    Adding a pocket for the pedal is pure genius! I've been meaning to make a cover for my sewing machine too, so thanks for the inspiration...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your math skills are better than mine, LOL, and hope to see your finished creation.

      Delete
  13. Math when Sewing is The Devil! But your Cover turned out great and sometimes it's just easier to improvise... your Solution was Genius.

    ReplyDelete