Thursday, August 10, 2023

Strange Bedfellows

Seeing Painted Rock Lady walking her dogs down the walkway yesterday, being accompanied by our Karen character is something one doesn’t see every day.


From where and when did Karen get a dog?

Did she borrow it ... volunteer to walk someone else's doggie, or did she purchase a dog to go along with the cat she already has?

Ever since Karen was paired with a Home-Based Therapist, she’s been working towards being nicer, friendlier, getting to know us residents.

I’m not trusting it.

When she waves a greeting to me, I return it, but avoid getting into any kind of a conversation and, thus far, except for when she was chasing Dream Lover, she’s only attended bingo just that one time.

I’m not sure if PRL is buying into this new Karen as I once saw PRL make a knowing face while describing Karen as, "A strange woman".

But whatever.

So, anyway, we had a little rain this morning. Didn’t last long but, now that it’s a bit overcast outside, this change in the weather gives the patio plants a much needed reprieve from the blistering heat.

Done with seeing no tomatoes, no peppers, radishes wilting away, watching even the wildflowers struggling to survive, I’ve pretty much decided to uproot the whole kit/kaboodle, call my attempt at gardening a failure.

This slight change in the weather might give the plants a little more time to show me something, change my mind about uprooting and tossing.

We’ll see.

Because the office is closed tomorrow for some unknown reason, Bingo was switched from tomorrow, Friday, to today.

Isn't it interesting that our caller, PRL, wasn't feeling well enough to attend today.

Is it a coincidence that she was walking with Karen yesterday and today not feeling well?

I think not, as there are people who, for one reason or another, function as energy drains and PRL did say Karen was "strange", then opted to hang with her anyway.

I did okay at bingo today. Won a red soup cup I’ve had my eyes on for some time, but I experienced what can only be described as culture shock when the handful I’ve accepted FB friend requests from, didn’t get the significance of the chair video I’d posted to FB — the same vid I posted on the blog yesterday.

One said, "So that’s what goes on at the gym".

"No", said I. "That was something special".

Another referred to me as "Wonder Woman" for being able to lift and swing the chair.

"You know the significance of it though, don’t you?" asked I.

She did not and looked confused when I tried to explain the Montgomery Boat Dock brawl and how the chair has become one of the symbols of not this time will we let you get away with it.

The Baker said she’d seen the video and, at the time wondered, "What is she doing?"

Again, I tried to explain the Boat Dock to which The Baker said, "Ohhh" like she understood but walked away looking just as confused as ever.

Of course, Homegirl required no explanation. She was all over the boat dock, the chair, Black Aquaman, just as much as I.

Also getting the assignment, needing no explanation, were millennial and gen z friends who have access to my FB — former coworkers, friends I’ve acquired through various 5K events and family.

The difference seems to be that those in my age group, my peers around here, are living on a different plain than I.

Some of us haven’t a clue as to what’s going on outside these gates and obviously could care less.

Speaking of what’s going on in the world outside these gates, I cannot believe the Project Runway judges did not call Brittany out for plagiarizing Prajji’s top tonight.

from Episode 6/the 90s Challenge

10 comments:

  1. I'd be polite and cautious with Karen, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see it in her shifty eyes that, even while trying to be friendly, there's something not quite right going on.

      Delete
  2. Later, after I'd left you my comment about the cage match, I finally clued in about what you were really referencing with the metal chair -- d'oh! I was too slow in the uptake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inasmuch as you're over in the UK, understandable because the continuing news and social media coverage of the brawl is probably not as 24/7 as it is over here. It's considered a historical moment in Black History, an event to be celebrated, and the folding chair the most prominent symbol.

      Delete
  3. I'm 53 and probably wouldn't know as much about what's going on in the world if my 31 year old daughter didn't show me some things that she sees. Though I do see a lot of what's going on by seeing it on videos on Twitter but my daughter keeps me up to date on a lot of stuff as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Activity Director should organize some kind of classes to bring and keep these folks up to date.

      Delete
  4. I hadn't seen your chair gig until now but I totally get it. Just make sure they're not armed first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm confused. PRL, Karen, and 3 weird little gotta be psycho dogs. Maybe management has a big personal date on Fridays now. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of the dogs are PRL's babies. The calendar is showing a few days the office is closed, a few where they are closed from 10:00 to 2:00. May have to hire a private detective to follow them, find out where the parties are.

      Delete