Friday, August 18, 2023

Oh What a Tangled Web We Weave

The weather being so hot, dry, humid, I’ve been expecting an earthquake for quite some time. Never in my wildest imagination did I expect a hurricane.

Will be interesting to see how this area is impacted, when it lands on Monday.

At the market after this morning’s workout, I noticed a run on bottled water.

I don’t generally purchase bottled water, prefer instead to filter tap water, but thinking better safe than sorry, I picked up four 1.58 quarts bottles of Aquafina, just in case.

And while I’m on the subject of the market … It never occurred to me that the market’s security guard hugging me would be anything other than a one-time deal until, after this morning’s workout, Trainer brought it up, asked "What are you going to do if he hugs you again?"

"Whoa. That never occurred to me".

To hug me again would be crossing a line, so I knew I wouldn’t appreciate it. As to what to do about it … I didn’t at that moment know but, by the time I’d gotten to the market, I’d devised a plan.


Genius idea, a method I’ll be sure to employ, barricade myself from friendly hugs, when next I see him at his station.

My little Stalker is still here … or back again, I never know which.

About to head out to pick up mail yesterday afternoon, I thought I heard Stalker’s voice so, checking the outside through the bedroom window, I saw yes, it was she, running around and snuggling with the cutest little French Bulldog.

She’s got a dog.

Upgraded from stuff toys to a real live puppy.

At the rate that child is being spoiled, I expect I’ll see her with a pony next.

Though I would have liked to have held the puppy, I chose to stay indoors, pick up mail today instead when the coast was clear.

In other news, I’m about to get in big trouble with the neighbors I hang with — let’s call them "The Usual Suspects".

Terrible liar that I am, I’m weaving a tangled web, currently practicing how to deceive them, but can’t figure out a good enough story to keep me from getting in deep — having my name bandied about and being discussed in unflattering terms … mean, stuck up, selfish, adjectives ascribed to me like those ascribed to the Scowler because he too wants to fly solo.

Some weeks ago, returning from working out, I ran into Red Light who handed me a flyer she’d gotten from Activity Director.

The flyer was advertising a 2023 Golden Future Senior Expo nearby — Free Admission, Health Screenings, 50+ Vendor Booths, Free Tote Bag w/Goodies, Bingo w/Cash Prize, DIY Arts & Crafts, Haircuts & Nail Manicures.

I realized the event was my kinda thing, but I didn’t reveal that to Red Light because, by the anticipation in her eyes, I just knew that, if I showed interest, the next words out of her mouth would be "Let’s do a group outing, all drive together”, with me the chauffer as she, and many of the others, do not drive. So, I just kept my face straight, tried not to display a tell.

You all should know by now I’m a lone ranger. That my motto is "She Travels Fastest Who Travels Alone" — no strings, ropes, chains, hangers on to slow me down.

The idea of a group of neighbors, all piled up in the jeep heading to the event, is abhorrent to me, because I don’t want that kind of closeness with neighbors, even neighbors that I like and get along with — the kind of closeness where we go out to lunch together, shopping together and/or to travel to events together.

The Community Room is as far as I go in socializing.

I do plan on attending next week’s event. In fact, I’ve already downloaded my ticket which, since the event is free, just gives me entry without standing in a long line.

So, I wouldn't have to lie to her, I've been really hoping Red Light wouldn't again bring up whether or not I'd thought about and considered going. That hope was dashed when Red Light and Homegirl, in the presence of other Usual Suspects in the Community Room, a few days ago asked if I was going.

I hemmed and hawed — which was already a dead giveaway I was lying, said I hadn’t thought about it, changed the subject by asking if they were going.

They are.

"How are you getting there?".

Homegirl replied, "Access (which is an old people shuttle service) and (with that look of anticipation in her eyes) whoever we can get to drive".

Damn!

More hemming and hawing from me ending with, "I’ll have to see how I feel that morning".

Inasmuch as I will be attending …… alone, all by myself, I can only hope the venue is large enough that I don’t run into any of the Usual Suspects, they don’t run into me.

There are far too many of them to try to hide from, especially if I decide to play bingo, where many of them will also land, so the odds are I will eventually be spotted.

Thus, I’m practicing to deceive, come up with a good excuse … lie.

I don’t think saying attending was a "last-minute decision" is gonna fly, nor will "I just happened to be in the area and popped in", or that "I didn’t think it a good idea to drive together with Covid still around".

This situation reminds me of when, back in the day, I was going out with a guy whose name I can’t remember. He wasn’t important, wasn’t a boyfriend so far as I was concerned, just someone I’d go out with.

One evening, when I’d just arrived home from work, he called, asked me out. I'd had a hard day dealing with those witches I worked for, wasn’t feeling well, so declined the offer. Later that evening, after having decompressed a bit, I felt better so, when someone else called, asked me out. I said okay.

Wouldn’t you just know that, while dancing at the club the second guy had taken me to, I looked over and there was that first guy … just standing off to the side, glaring at me.

Assuming I’d lied to him so I could go out with someone else, he gave me his mean mugging face, stormed out and I never heard from him again.

No loss. I didn’t care about either one of them, but I’d have liked for him to know I hadn’t lied to him. It was just that I felt better after being home, resting a bit.

I’m not comfortable with lying, so when spotted at the upcoming senior event, I should just tell the truth …. "Sorry, but I didn’t want the responsibility of travelling with others. I enjoy being out and about on my own" or offer no explanation at all. Just say "Hello ... Hi Guys", and keep on keeping on.

I’m leaning towards no explanation at all.

Nothing is going to save me from backlash, being talked about, treated as somewhat of an pariah if future events come up but, just like that first guy that asked me out, the Usual Suspects are not important, what they think/say is of no consequence and if I’m never invited to do/go anywhere ever again with them, that just means I won’t have to decline an invitation I didn’t want in the first place.


16 comments:

  1. Can you have a “doctor's appointment” before the event? Oh, never mind, what will you have AFTER the event? I hate situations like that. Ooh, maybe you can say you're a very nervous driver and don't like having anyone in the car with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Serious nervous driver" is actually a good idea. If the Usual Suspects come at me again before the event, I'll use it. That way, they may not like it, but won't be such a big deal when they see me at the event.

      Delete
  2. Two things ... I thought we'd see the guard come at you from the other side, and then see you next week pushing TWO carts.
    That said, I love the sound of your voice; it always seems to have a smile to it, though I haven't heard it when The Stalker comes knocking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he'd come at me from the other side, I'd have had to use the cart like a folding chair and bashed him. Lovely compliment on my voice. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Shopping cart cam! Trial run looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFLMAO! I love that Shopping Cart Cam. Will be using that title next time.

      Delete
  4. Uh, this is getting complicated. Just tell them you'd prefer not release that info, and that your daughters said you're not permitted to have passengers in you car unless one of your daughters is with you. (Modern take on "my parents said...." ) Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, and one that might work for some of the little old ladies around here, but not independent me. No way would anyone ever believe that I'd allow my daughters to run me, tell me what to do. I'm going to go with Mitchell's idea.

      Delete
  5. Tundra Bunny here...

    I've found that honesty, delivered with humour, has worked well for me in situations like this. If your peers hint or suggest you all go together, I'd just say "Oh, I prefer to do things like clothes shopping and Expos on my own...but how about coffee in the Community Room next week?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way I'm going, because once I'm honest and it's made clear I travel alone, they won't get mad if they see me at the expo and won't suggest a group outing again, but I'm not interested in a coffee get-together to smooth things over. Bingo is togetherness enough.

      Delete
  6. The Truth shall set you Free my Friend, keep it 100% with the usual Suspects. The Truth also doesn't require Memory, since, a Lie requires recalling what you made up and Memory is the first to go so that's too much pressure and tho' you might not care what they think at the end of the day, Trust broken creates more of a tangled Web woven with anyone. I too am Nice to all of them and Close to none of them and it works for me personally not to feel obligated to have an entourage and the freedom to enjoy something on just my own terms, so, I understand the Solo preference even when you truly like the people. Since you are the only Driver, it would also set you up for requests for transportation, which, can get out of hand and become a constant nuisance. The Hug thing, if not encouraged, can be awkward, and I'm a Hugger, but if it didn't feel right, I wouldn't want it becoming regular with a person whose crossing boundaries and getting too friendly without encouragement. If Little Stalker has her Puppy, perhaps it will fill a Void she has where she's clingy with people? Some of my Grandkids and the Oldest Daughter have French Bulldogs, they're very expensive, a Pony might have been Cheaper? *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true about doing something once, opening a door, only for it to later lead to further requests. Hopefully the puppy does satisfy Stalker's need for whatever it is she's seeking, especially since the pup cost more than a pony, LOL.

      Delete
  7. PS: We're bracing for the inland Rains that Hurricane might dump as far in as Arizona, the Weather Channels are telling us it will be catastrophic so I've been sourcing Sandbags and hoping their estimations of 10 inches in 24 Hours is exaggerated... but, it's been 80 Years since the last Tropical Storm hit Cali, so, this could be a catastrophe... be safe my Friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You stay safe as well, my friend. And don't get caught appropriating Halloween colored sandbags.

      Delete
  8. I can fully understand not wanting to be responsible for driving a whole bunch of people to that venue. I wouldn't want to do that either. It was hot here last week 107 and the last couple of days it's been in the '80s and 70s today and lots of rain. Will be getting some of that hurricane Hillary rain too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all I've experienced in the workplace, with former friends, family, I want responsibility for nothing. Just to be able to travel what remains of the road unbothered, in peace.

      Delete