Friday, April 28, 2023

The Great Bingo Seating War

It’s Bingo Friday which meant, in order to beat Hell on Wheels (formerly Wheelchair Lady — Thanks Paranormal John for this moniker) from taking my preferred seating spot, I did my grocery shopping before working out, rather than after, so I could head straight back to the Community Room, hopefully beat her to the seat.

I did.

Topic on everyone’s tongue was management’s handling of the paving project.

An update was posted to our doors yesterday afternoon. The project is to take 7 days.

Obviously, a 7 day hotel stay is out of the question for me, but it does appear the complaints have had an impact as now the plan is "Day 1: No vehicle will be allowed in the property".

The other days of the project look to be helter-skelter, with sections open for parking, like last time, except not exactly like last time.

Instead of having to move my car once, as work progressed from one side of the complex to the other last time, this plan looks more like a combination of musical chairs and merry-go-round for five days.

Residents will be required to find parking based on the work to be done — "Repairs: 1. Parking lot will be closed; 2. South end parking lot closed; 3. North end parking lot closed Sealing and Striping: 8. Parking lot closed by buildings J, H, G, F, E, D; 9. Parking lot closed by buildings J, K, L, N, O, Leasing Office; 10. Parking lot closed by buildings A, B, C, D, Leasing Office".

Suffice it to say, us residents are confused.

Heading to bingo I asked one resident, that has two cars, what he was going to do.

"I don’t know. They didn’t tell me my spot to park. I got this sheet that says 1, but I don’t know where that is".

Some of us are way more confused than others.

Then, running into Talker, I asked what her plans are for her car.

"We can’t park here at all on Monday?" she asked sounding incredulous.

Duh!

When I affirmed we can’t park here, she said, "I’ll get up early and go visiting".

She didn’t seem to get that she can’t go visiting, then return later in the day. That the plan is no vehicles allowed back in until the following day.

Conversations in the Community Room didn't go much better.

The Baker tried to get those confused to understand that Monday is May 1 and they cannot park on the premises. Whereupon, Hell on Wheels got argumentative, said "NO! It's Wednesday. May 1 is Wednesday. No parking on Wednesday" and kept overtalking those who were telling her she was wrong.

I chimed in with "Let’s just play bingo and leave her to subject herself to getting her vehicle towed" — even though I realized she shouldn't be talking because she’s in a wheelchair, supposedly can’t walk, drive, doesn’t even have a car.

It’s all too much for me. I’m sure some of us seniors (probably me) are going to get confused and end up with our cars towed.

I wasn’t able to get a good night’s sleep last evening. Woke up at 1:50 a.m. thinking about a hotel nearby for Sunday night, return Tuesday morning and hassling for parking the next five days.

Sleepless and needing to firm up a plan of my own, I got online but, instead of looking for a hotel, I researched places to store cars.

Found a few private garages in rundown back yards that looked dirty, sketchy and not close enough for me to walk back/forth.

Then I ran across a facility that stores vehicles @ $360.50 by the month.

The Universe was looking out for me because the facility is around the corner from the Pain Cave, a few blocks down, in an area that’s safe enough to walk back/forth to in daylight hours, so long as you keep your wits about you and pepper spray handy.

After bingo, I drove down to check it out and immediately signed up.

The facility is gated, access is by use of a code. The car pod is clean and roomy.

I signed up for a month and was given a key lock for the pod.

Seems like a good safe place and all to store the car for 7 days, but doesn’t mean much considering the wily criminals we have operating these days, but I’ve got inurance and will take my chances.

I locked the car up then and there, hiked back to the complex feeling like Walking Dead's Michonne, ready for battle, with a taser in one pocket, pepper spray in the other, and carrying that walking stick with the weapon tip.




20 comments:

  1. Excellent idea, except a shame you couldn't just Rent it for a Week rather than a whole Month, but, the Peace of Mind is worth the Investment. It is not very responsible for Management to cause such chaos and confusion in a Seniors complex, I'm sure most Residents aren't in ideal shape to walk far or have the means to rent alternative Housing and Parking for a Week. It seems their instructions to Residents isn't well Planned and why it's so confusing that surely some people are going to end up with Towing expenses and that whole hassle too. I don't like it when you don't have a choice as to what is dictated, this is why I abhorred an HOA, they were The Devil and so intrusive and oppressive into the lives of Residents of their Communities. I like Hell On Wheels new Nickname, glad you beat her to the seat. There's a fav Restaurant that The Man and I enjoy going to but Seating is always an issue when it's busy, so I always have him getting our Table while I order at the Counter, since, they don't take Orders at the Tables... so it's a crap shoot on busy days whether there would be Seating left by the time you get your turn in Line to place your Order... and the Food arrives?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about most residents not being able to walk far ... not even from the corner market if they park there.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like such a good idea that you might want to spread the word to those who you like - let the other ones find their own places. Even if only 3 other people decided to join you in the parking facility, you'll have 3 people who could potentially owe you a favor later on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, few here can afford a month's rental fee. So I'm mindful that, if anyone asks my plans, I'll tell them about the storage place, but don't want to advertise .... make it seem like I'm financially better while others struggle. Talker can afford it, so I told her. Next Door Neighbor cannot, so I'm trying to dodge her even asking.

      Delete
  3. Too bad you had to pay for the entire month, but glad you're able to afford that solution. It will save you major headaches. Sorry the hotel plan didn't work out. That would have felt like a little vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worth every penny to not be stressed out over this next week.

      Delete
  4. You're so clever! Glad you found the safe and convenient vehicle storage place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just lucked up because who knew there was such a place.

      Delete
  5. That sounds like the perfect solution. You are paying now for your parking spot what we paid in San Francisco 12 years ago! Wonder what SF parking goes for these days. However, I really have to wonder about your neighborhood if you have to arm yourself to just walk in daylight hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No secret that San Bernardino is considered a high crime area. Displaced people roaming around day and night, some so off their rocker they will attack whoever whenever .... do you remember the guy who chased me with a knife when I was out walking? That was on the main thoroughfare, one of the safest areas to walk. Where the car is housed is kind of a desolate area to be walking in. Wouldn't recommend anyone being on foot there unless they have to be. So, I was ready for anything.

      Delete
  6. Good job! Although not as pleasant a return on your investment as a few days near the beach, with the chaos of the sealing and restriping project, I think that you may need that space for more than a week, so paying for a month was wise. With all the confusion it is likely that a good portion of the start of each day will be spent towing cars, which will reduce the work that can be done, which will extend the project duration. From what you've described, expect this one week project to take 10 days. For your sake I hope that they finish it up by Memorial Day.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same thought as you ... that the project might take longer than projected. I'm also expecting tow trucks to be lining up. It'll be a big week, pay wise, for them.

      Delete
  7. Good Lord. Those instructions from management where almost gibberish to me. I know I'm old, probably cognitively impaired and early onset dementia, but how did some of these elderly people even process that? It's probably me? Good for you, Shirley. A wise decision and solution to your parking delima. Just arm yourself with pepper spray and whatever else you use for protection. I know you won't be waltzing down that street at 3AM. Cell phone in one had and pepper spray in the other. Good luck and keep us posted. This could evolve into quite a story with the mass confusion over parking and the players involved.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gibberish is how I see it, and they should know too complicated for us seniors.

      Delete
  8. What a pain. Seems like management should compensate you for having to stash your car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only. They wouldn't even reimburse me for when bozo head maintenance guy wouldn't fix my smoke detector. He just tinkered around with it and it would go off at odd hours for no reason, sometimes 3 a.m. I'd climb up on a ladder, change out batteries every two weeks or so. Once, when it went off late night, I had to go to a hotel to get some sleep and management said it wasn't an emergency when I asked for reimbursement, that they only reimburse emergencies. Months later, after more incidents of detector going off, I said I was going to have the Fire Department check it out. All of a sudden, bozo gave me a new smoke detector.

      Delete