Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Animal Kingdom

It was back in August of 2020 when, driving over the small mountain road with an S-Curve that leads in and out of my area, I saw what I thought were big fluffy white giant flowers growing on the mountain.

The flowers turned out to be sheep, which I later learned were being used as lawnmowers — chew the dry brush and weeds to the ground to prevent another fire on the mountain.

Being a city girl, unfamiliar with farm animals, returning from a blood draw yesterday, I saw animals grazing on the mountain again.

They didn’t look like big fluffly flowers, so I’m fairly certain they’re goats this time.


A guy came along and instead of continuing down the mountain, finding a place to turn around, come back and park over in the vacant debris strewn area, as I did, he stopped in the middle of traffic.


It’s a blind curve. He could have been unalived.

As I’m trying to get back on the road, head down and turn around to get back to the complex, along comes a guy who was lucky enough to be on the side of the road that has the vacant area. He too pulled in to see the unusual sight.


We had a brief conversation with his asking me what, why, how.


After making my way out of the debris strewn area — unsuccessfully trying to avoid items that would damage my tires, once down that side of the mountain, I turned around, headed to the complex and saw that last guy had also exited his car to enjoy the sight ... safely.


When I head out later this morning for today's workout, I hope I don’t find any of the tires have gone flat or sprung a slow leak, but I’d rather have risked a tire than stop in the middle of the road and risk bodily injury like that first guy did.

11 comments:

  1. I lol'd at the big fluffy flowers turning out to be sheep!
    Goats make for great lawnmowers and bushwhackers. I'm glad you had the sense to observe intelligently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing they switched from sheep to goats due to how steep that side of the mountain is.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe where that yo-yo stopped. I remember that feral goats were abundant in Southern California. So, that's my guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That guy definitely had an angel on his shoulder that prevented him from being hit and a driver coming around the bend to panic, swerve, take out another driver.

      Delete
  3. Glad you left your blood at the doc's office and not on the road! That's an adventurous drive for blood-letting. Hope your transmission and brakes are okay too. (We don't need that 3rd gear in Kansas.) Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like in the middle of two mountain roads. This one is the safest because it's the shortest, closest to civilization. The other is a long stretch of nothing. Wouldn't want to break down there.

      Delete
  4. I can't believe that guy stopped in the road like that. There was a LOT of traffic going by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traffic that was going by fast. I was scared I was going to see something I didn't want to see.

      Delete
  5. That's an environmentally conscious way of elimination of the fire hazard by using domestic farm animals to graze... good for the Farmers too... Dawn the Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all fun and games until the goats get loose. I've an upcoming post on that. LOL.

      Delete
    2. Ha ha ha... the Invasion of the rampaging Goats Post, I can hardly wait!

      Delete