Sunday, April 23, 2023

No Room at the Inn

It’s that time again. Spring has sprung and once again it’s a battle with the birds.

Around this time every year, for the eleven years of living here, I’ve successfully discouraged birds from moving into the highly desirable property which is way too close to my living space and access to the patio storage area — the eaves over to the side.

Though I’ve managed to keep birds from squatting in that prime space, they’ve outsmarted me and moved to nesting overhead, somewhere in the decorative roof tiles where I can neither see or reach, but they leave me droppings to clean up every single day to let me know they’re there.

Nothing I can do about that, but the battle continues to prevent nesting in the prime real estate area they all seem to want. All of last week, I caught birds eyeing that spot and chased them away by opening the screen door — the sound of which scared ‘em off. That is until a particularly stubborn couple kept coming back — determined to nest there.

It was a battle that lasted for days, as I’d opened the screen, scared them away, they’d fly off, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for hours, but inevitably return.

They’d catch me preoccupied with crafting inside, away at the Pain Cave or market and start bringing in supplies for a nest.

Not too smart, though I, inasmuch as the screen door opening/closing signaled I’m living much too close to where they were determined to nest, but I guess they figured once they became squatters — built the nest, lay eggs, they could lay claim and that would be that.

I thought about it — let them move in, that it might be interesting to see the nesting process, baby birds popping up, learning to fly; but then again there would be all kinds of bird and insect mess piling up on that side of the patio, plus the birds living there would attract those dreaded lizards, not to mention the annoying early morning cooing the parents would make, the chirp chirp chirp that babies would make, so no. You can’t build there I kept telling them, go nest elsewhere while there’s still time to find another location.

Did they listen?

Nooooooooo.

They just kept coming back.

After a particularly vexing day of chasing them off, I had the bright idea that something was needed to seal the opening so they’d be forced to squat elsewhere. But what to put up there and how to reach it.

What I came up with isn’t pretty — and neither is the fact that the video I’m about to show you is cloudy because the patio window needs cleaning, but with the use of the grabber, that stylish looking walking stick I recently purchased and a couple grocery bags, I managed to end the war with the birds. They’ve not returned these last two days, but it wasn’t like they didn’t fuss and fume, with many flyovers inspecting the hindrance, and try to find a workaround before they realized there was no room at this inn and gave up.


So, there’s that.

Also of note is that around 6:00 this afternoon, there was a knock knock knock at the door.

If you guessed it was my little stalker, you guessed correctly.


"Are you back from San Diego?" asked I.

"Just visiting" said she and gave me a hug — which I didn’t mind since I’d had a couple weeks to breath. Not the continuous knock knock knock.

"Your GG really missed you", I said.

"Everyone missed me", she replied.

ROFLMAO! Modest little thing isn’t she.

20 comments:

  1. Well, you have to admit (or maybe you don't), Stalker is quite adorable. Those roof tiles make such great places for nests. I've seen them stuffed with concrete or steel wool. Whatever works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, so I'll give that she's looking cute and sweet to me again, rather than a pest.

      Delete
  2. Now you know how the family in Poltergeist must have felt. LMAO!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For real, and I even thought about the birds recognizing me when I'm out and about, take their revenge and attack.

      Delete
    2. A Tippy Hedren Moment... The Birds... that Movie to this Day still creeps me out. *LOL*

      Delete
    3. No kidding. I too was emotionally damaged by that movie, take note of birds when in groups, and wouldn't put it past the pigeons to seek revenge.

      Delete
  3. Glad you were able to outwit the birds! I keep pigeons off my balcony by tying holographic scare tape to the railings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replied that I looked into the tape, plan to switch the bags out for tape, but see that reply did not post. Blogger acting up again?

      Delete
  4. I've heard steel wool is a good barrier. Cheap, pliable and does the trick. Whatever works for those tiles. Now, how to figure out a 'barrier' for the Little Stalker. "Everybody missed me"....NOT! LOL!
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used steel wool at a place I lived before, but that was in a spot I could simply reach up to. The current spot is hard to get to. I barely was able to manage the grocery bags. The little stalker does think well of herself, LOL.

      Delete
  5. Interesting spot. Never thought about tile roofs begging for birds to live under their openings. At a glance, I hope your grocery bag solution doesn't block the rain flow into the gutter. Might want to put in a work order and supply them with steel wool. Or have the stalker scare the birds away! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra at She Who Seeks came up with the perfect solution ... holographic tape. Wish I'd know about this before. Might have stopped them from nesting overhead.

      Delete
  6. Stalker is cute! We have barn swallows. You simply have to give in to them.So I did. The bird seems perplexed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perplexed indeed. Looks like he was thinking "What the hell happened", LOL.

      Delete
  7. I rarely see lizards around here, but I wouldn't mind seeing them every now and again. There was one year that there was a wild rat in the maintenance shed that my husband and I fed while he was still here and then he took off. And then there was the family of mice that took up residence in the maintenance shed in a glove box. But they moved on after the babies grew up. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more wild animals around here but all I see are pigeons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drug Dealer’s customers probably scared all the wildlife away. The rat you and your husband took care of reminds me of The Green Mile, where Delecroix had a pet mouse called Mr. Jingles. The baby mice and Mr. Jingles might return if the property owner kicks out the Dealer.

      Delete
  8. Will the Bags clog the Gutters tho'? We had Woodpeckers one year and that concerned me since they can do some major damage. I like Birds and thankfully they come to eat, drink and go somewhere else to Nest and hang out most of the time. We did have a Hummingbird who Nested on the back Patio for 3 Years and I enjoyed watching her Babies grow up, their Nests are tiny Treasures and after she wasn't using them, I harvested them for my Naturalist Collection, she used Spider Webs to line them. This year she didn't return and I think her lifespan was over, they don't actually live very long. As for your Lil Stalker, she's not conceited, she's convinced. *Winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the gutters are okay with the bags, but I plan to switch them out for holographic tape anyway. I'm thinking that instead of hanging the tapes to blow away in the wind, I'll ball some up and somehow manage to drop a few in the space to scare the birds away.

      Delete
  9. As a country dweller I have no problems with the birds as they have their pick of garden space - we currently have a duck sitting on a nest of 9 eggs outside my living room window, should be just another week and we'll have fluffy babies waddling around 🤞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy watching the birds from my window, especially the hummingbirds and smaller types, but these big pigeons wanting to nest so close to my personal space was not something I wanted to deal with.

      Delete