Thursday, April 27, 2023

Decisions Decisions

It was in September 2019 when management notified us of asphalt repairs and resurfacing of the parking areas. We were given a map and detailed information as to which quads would have to move their cars as work proceeded.

And so it went that we’d move our cars around the property, out of the way, as section by section the work proceeded and dared not move our car that day for fear of not finding a place to park later.

It was kind of a hassle, but doable.

Management is very concerned with how the outside of the property looks. They don’t give a care about repairs that need to be done inside the units — as one resident recently said to me, "It takes an arm and a leg to get something fixed"; to which I added "And when they do fix something, Bozo (head maintenance guy) makes it worse rather than better".

It's because they're cheap. Have instructions from Corporate to keep maintenance costs down.

So it was that, after the paving project was completed, even Stevie Wonder could have seen the job was shoddy — due to cheap labor, cheap materials no doubt.

Now here we are barely four years later and management, being obsessed with outward appearances, has notified us of yet another round of resurfacing and asphalt repairs.

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing it shouldn't look this bad from wear so soon.


So, anyway, going cheap on the first job is costing them double, but the problem is ... this time we’ve been told "During this period, you will not be able to park your vehicle on the property".

The plan is for them to take a few days in May, repair/resurface the entire parking areas and "We’re sorry for the inconvenience, but please make the necessary arrangements to be prepared since you will not be able to park your vehicle inside the premises".

Thing is … there is no street parking in this area and no parking lots.

There’s talk about leaving cars parked on the corner market parking lot.

As many cars as there are on this complex, I think market management would notice a sudden influx of cars and balk at it. Not to mention, cars would be subject to theft and vandalism at that location.

Market shoppers, even some of the employees, have had their cars broken into during broad light. So, I can’t image how cars left day and night for two/three days would fare.

There's talk about parking on the market lot then sleeping in the car to protect it. Which is still no guarantee of preventing theft, vandalism, and adds possible harm to self into the mix.

Other options I’m hearing folks talking about are leaving their cars on the complex, in the way of the paving project, knowing management will have towed away. They feel it safer to let the car sit in a tow yard two/three days, go through the expense of towing fees to get their car back.

Next Door Neighbor is thinking of turning her car into the dealer for service, leaving it there until she can park on the complex again.

That’s not a bad idea. My jeep is up for service, and I would feel okay about not picking it up right away; but the dealer is a long way away from here. How do I get home after dropping it off for service?

I don’t know how to Uber.

I suppose I could learn how to utilize Uber, but then I abhor having to depend on other people, and Uber would require me to depend on someone other than myself to get me to where I need to go. That would be from the dealer back to the complex after I drop the car off for servicing then, two/three days later, from the complex back to the dealer.

I’m thinking my best option is to move out for a few days — go to a hotel until the paving project is completed.

A hotel along the Hospitality Lane Strip — a city or so over, would not be too expensive. I wouldn't have to worry about where to safely park the car, and that area is close enough that I could drive back/forth to keep my workout schedule. Downside is there's nothing really to do in that area but eat and drink and I can do neither.

So, unless management changes their minds about kicking us to the curb and decide to do sections again, my plan is to book a hotel in Long Beach where I can go sightseeing, walk the beach path, spend time with Twin 1 (if she's in town and not travelling on her feed the homeless thing), stop by granddaughter's place and play with the Great Grandson.

Booking in Long Beach is way more expensive than booking nearby and, of course, it would interfere with my workout schedule, but at least I’d have fun things to do, so that may be my best bet.

After all the complaints that have been lodged, hopefully management will give us a break and go back to working in sections.

I doubt it because, once again, I think this action is cheap related — paying for two/three days of a crew working, rather than the four/five it previously took.

At any rate, I hope the next notice — the one telling us to get out, gives sufficient time for me to pull out my luggage, pack a few hotel meals, get out of dodge.

Then there's the fact Management often prepares for things to happen on date specific around here — like an inspection, THEN for one reason or another it doesn't happen, the date gets changed.

Consequently, worst case scenario, even if I do prepare for a hotel, hit the road night before given morning, return in three/four days, there's a possibility the paving job did not begin that next morning, the dates changed and I've returned in the middle of the project, still can't get back on the lot.

What to do, what to do? How to circument this madness?

16 comments:

  1. That's just crazy that they want residents not to park on the premises and there's no other parking around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you visit at Twin 2's house for the duration? The hotel idea sounds good; consider it a vacation. Is there a neighbor who can contact you if the pavers don't really come on the day they're supposed to? Getting a car out of the tow lot is very expensive. Have fun and stay safe. You could drive by at night and see if they're really doing the paving at your apartment. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twin 2 is in a bad head space and cars are not safe where she lives unless in a garage. And that would be a long drive back to check on whether or not the paving is going on. I was already thinking of asking Red Light to call me if the project does not take off when it should.

      Delete
  3. I like your hotel idea -- it would be like giving yourself a little holiday. But if something goes wrong with the repaving timing, yes, it could all be for naught. However, risking it still seems like your best option. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those hotel holidays are expensive, and I just took one to get to the acupunturist and yes, if the repaving timing goes wrong, I would be royally screwed. So I plan to ask Red Light to keep me informed.

      Delete
  4. Is there such a thing as an inexpensive AirBnB close to your community?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hotel would be safer. I'm reading too many horror stories about Airbnb's.

      Delete
  5. Good lord, that all gives me a headache! I cannot imagine having to go through such gyrations. What can't they just move the cars around the property as they do each area? They can't do it all at once so there should be a method to move the cars and park them safely. We have a large apartment complex in our neighborhood and when they redo their parking lots, they have people move to areas that aren't being worked on and some of the cars (if there is more than one car per unit) have to sit out on the street during the day, 6 to 6. Your management is just not good at doing things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said a mouthful with "Your management is just not good at doing things". If rents weren't so expensive elsewhere, this place would be a ghost town. Everyone would move out.

      Delete
  6. As with any company residential business or corporate or retail, I always find when it comes to property management and maintenance they always want the cheapest deal and basically what I call patching repair. Which never works. I remember the one department store I worked in always had leaks in the roof. Over the years I couldn't tell you how many times they patched. The store manager wants told me they paid more and doing the patch repairs over the years, that I would have cost for an outright new roof. Soon these companies will figure out they are spending more on doing this Patchwork then just doing it right the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boggles the mind how management and owner types can't see how simple and cost effective it is to get it done right the first time.

      Delete
  7. A hotel sounds like a good idea. Telling all residents to make other parking arrangements in a complex like yours is ridiculous. That management team is awful. (IMHO)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone has already presented all the ideas I would have come up with. Except if Twin 1 is out of town stay at her place. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is out of town and that would have worked if her apartment complex allowed visitor parking for what I originally thought would be two/three days.

      Delete