Sunday, August 7, 2022

Too Hot to Trot

Bib No. 814 is a no show at today’s OC Fair 5K.

That No. 814 would be me.

It's just too hot to trot around the Orange County Fairgrounds.

I did participate in this event back in 2019, when Batman started the race off.

I was wearing Wonder Woman Leggings


I'd planned for 2020 in cow leggings, but the pandemic came along and put a halt to the festivities until now.

Notified three months ago that the race was once again on, I’d quickly registered, book an overnight stay at a nearby hotel, and ordered fabric to stitch up a pair of cow print leggings.


I never got around to pulling out the sewing machine, which was a clue I was losing interest in participating because, lately, I’m feeling less and less like leaving my unit, going anywhere for any reason.

Since I wasn’t for sure I’d go or not, I did the smart thing and cancelled the OC hotel before getting locked into a cancellation fee, thinking that if I changed my mind at the last minute, I could rebook, head out sans cow leggings.

Rebooking didn’t happen, but I've a whole year to think about putting those leggings together, compete next year.

For now, I am now happily seated in my air-conditioned unit, watching/listening to the TV while working on getting photos taken at Long Beach Pride into the Creative Memory (CM) album.

Too many photos to fit into the album I was currently filling with photos of my latest adventures — bingo, Summer Social, I had to devote an entire new album to the Pride event.

Jennifer and commenter Drum Major have both asked about CM, so I thought I’d do a little show and tell.

The CM system consists of an album cover set, filler pages and protective covers for those pages.



It’s an acid free system (background paper, mounting tape, mounting squares), to prevent damage and decay of your photos and other memorabilia over time.

Once I get the prints back, I organize how I want the photos to flow — generally a title page, then in order of what came first, second, etc., do a chart of that flow and, while doing so, descriptions and funny anecdotes that describes the photo for future generations come to mind, so I jot those notations down and add as text on the pages.

Now that I think of it, CM is much like blogging, except more photos, less text.



Do you want to see how those pages turned out?

Did I hear a "Not really".

Too late, I’m going to show you anyway.




If you google Creative Memory images, you’ll see that those of us using the system work differently. Some like a lot of embellishments on their pages. I myself like to keep it simple and often capture clipart from the internet, turn it into simple embellishments that add to the story.

So, there you have it — the scrapbooking often mentioned in the blog.

Now it's onward and upward today in getting the remaining photos into the album, while the OC Fair participants that did show up are in danger of heat stroke.

12 comments:

  1. I do some scrapbooking and enjoy it. I like how your pages came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Kids now days are using Instagram Story where they post a photo and it quickly disappears. Us older folks are preserving memories through scrapbooking. It's a lot of work, so I think the youngers are just being lazy. LOL.

      Delete
  2. You're right -- much, much too hot to be out running around in a competition or otherwise. Your scrapbooking is great! I like the pages you've shown us. It's a great way to keep photos and memories together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! and Yep, I made the right decision to stay indoors.

      Delete
  3. Inside is safer in this heat! Thanks for the scrapbook lesson and info! You are being very creative. Please send your address, and I'll send you the 13 boxes of my family photos. I need to retire and get them organized before I croak. The first box of photos is my Dad's Army trunk.... Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 13 boxes is a lot but not insurmountable. I'd hate to see that much on my doorstep though.

      Delete
  4. I love the album and would have loved the leggings. Maybe next year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. 100+ heat index here almost everyday for a while now. I'll go out in the yard for a while but come back in and drink and drink and drink.
    I bought a good scanner years ago to convert pictures and slides to digital. One of these days I might get started... or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spotted black bikini today. Captured a two second video for you to view in next post.

      Delete
  6. I like how your Scrapbook Memory Album turned out and I wasn't one of the 'not really' readers, I actually enjoy looking thru the Albums of pixs that aren't personal to me, but I enjoy as if they were. I have been known to even Rescue Old Photo Albums that become my 'Adopted Relatives'. A recent Score of one of those was of an Asian Family from the 1920-1930 Era in Cali, I just Love seeing how Life for them was and all the Fashions and Decor of those bygone days. I can't Imagine what happened that their actual Family gave up that Album and it ended up in an Antique Store up for grabs? Glad you didn't participate if it was too hot to trot... not worth a bad outcome if you got heat exhaustion. I'm trying to do more outside, but the humidity with it being Monsoon season, coupled with triple digit heat, has made it dangerous to do too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot and humid seems to be our new normal while it's flooding in other areas. Go figure. Since you enjoyed those layouts, I'll post a few more when the album is completed.

      Delete