Monday, August 29, 2022

Gettin' Hot in Here

Twas another eerily quiet calm before the storm type weekend over here.

Then, along about 6 p.m., hearing a dog sounding like it was in pain, I got up from my perch on the couch and saw one of the wheelchair residents literally hauling arse down the walkway while holding onto her dog’s leash.

I don’t think the dog was accustomed to moving as fast as she was going, because he was letting out squeals of protest.

When I saw her turn into the entry way to Red Lights' unit, I went back to watching whatever TV program I was viewing, figuring she’d just come to discuss next Friday’s party with Red Light — a surprise birthday party the two are planning for the Baker at bingo.

I know about this party, and who the planners are because, after Friday’s bingo, this particular wheelchair lady approached me, asked if I’d like to donate cash for the party.

Of course, I did and I did.

So, anyway, shortly after I’d gone back to what I was doing before hearing the dog protesting the pace, my cellphone rang.

It was Red Light.

"I just had a visitor" said she.

Oh, did you now.

"It was ____ (wheelchair lady) and she is PISSED".

Thus, the road rage pace.

The story is Wheelchair Lady (WL), while walking her dog (at a normal pace I assume), saw cars parked all over the front parking area and an event going on inside the Community Room.

This disturbed WL because, when she and others have recently asked to book the room for a private event — which used to be allowed for residents, at a fee, to celebrate anniversaries with family members and friends in attendance, birthdays, et.al., they’d been told that could no longer permitted because of the pandemic and resultant variants.

So, she’s seeing this party going on, gets mad, starts taking pictures to confront the office with our being told no.

All of sudden someone comes storming out, "WHY ARE YOU TAKING PICTURES?!!!"

It was Head Maintenance Guy (HMG).

"You should have seen his face" said WL in describing the scene to Red Light.

I suppose that meant he was angry.

Seeing it was staff having an event only served to make WL even angrier. "WHY IS IT OKAY FOR YOU TO HAVE A PARTY BUT NOT US?!!!" she yelled back.

HMG didn’t expect her to come at him that way, with logic and matching his tone, because his response was "Talk to the Manager" and he went back inside.

You can bet she will.

Some of these old people are stronger than others.

It will probably end in more double talk, but wheelchair lady has photographic evidence and she’s pissed.

Knowing how vindictive management can be, I’ll not be surprised if this doesn’t come back on ALL of us in some kind of way ─ a notice posted to our doors perhaps stating this is private property, no photo taking allowed; but I suggested next time staff has a party, an alert should go out and all us seniors should go out front, sit and watch.

With temperatures soring this week ─ it’s expected to be 106˚ by Thursday (the power company better not do a flex alert and shut our A/C down), and tempers flaring ─ management being rude/disrespectful, and seniors getting fed up with management doing whatever the hell they please at the expense of residents, it’s gettin' hot up in here.

Something is bound to give.

If I didn't have a workout on my schedule for tomorrow morning, I'd go sit in the Community Room, with a bowl of popcorn and cup of coffee, wait to see/hear the fireworks.

Stay tuned.

17 comments:

  1. It sounds like things are 'simmering' for the bbo (big blow out)! I wonder if that complex has Trump connections? LOL! Runs sort of like it would. Grab your popcorn and coffee....I think the fireworks may be starting soon!
    WCL had every right to confront and take pics. Confronting management may put her on that s**t list. But a gals gotta do what a gals gotta do.
    I'm kinda new around here and was wondering why Red Light was called 'Red Light'? Is 'Karen' still MIA? Keep us posted on this new event. Can't wait for the next episode. Hot up in here, indeed!
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we had the Christmas Patio Decorating contest, Red Light did her patio up in flashing red lights, had a red curtain hanging in her bedroom window with a red light behind it. Reminded me of those old movies when sailors on leave went to a Red-Light District for you know what. So that "come and get me" theme earned her the name of Red Light.

      Delete
  2. Double standards are never fair. The same rules should apply to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We see it every day in all manner of life ... with athletes, an x-president, that after getting away with so much for so long there's a feeling of invincibleness, so they keep pushing. It catches up with 'em eventually. Hopefully this is the incident that tips the scale over here.

      Delete
  3. First: That poor dog! And (B) that management company needs a major shake-up (and public humiliation).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That poor dog is right. She seemed so angry, so in the zone that she didn't seem to realize the dog was being dragged along.

      Delete
  4. I really hope that management doesn't try to tell you guys that you can't take pictures. That would be ridiculous. I've thought about getting a Ring Doorbell for my door. They have the kind that doesn't require you to use nails or screws or anything. I would call the news stations if they try to tell you guys that you can't take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry because, even if they so ordered, we'd still take photos. That ring doorbell that doesn't require screws sounds like a good investment.

      Delete
  5. WL still shouldn't have dragged her dog into howling. Maybe she'll go to dog obedience training to learn how to be calm. Hope the weather gets cooler. I could even sense the calmer demeanor amongst people when our weather cooled off. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dog is usually ahead of her, kinda pulling her along. This time she was ahead of the dog, pulling him along and didn't seem to be aware of what she was doing.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I certainly hope so. This has been a long hot summer.

      Delete
  7. "I suggested next time staff has a party, an alert should go out and all us seniors should go out front, sit and watch" - Yesssssssssss!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think photography is ok by law in a public domain, and tough stuff if you don't like it. Of course, most professional or bloggie photogs are polite and ask permission. Hope it doesn't escalate into cell phone videos needed by the police. Isn't there a retired attorney in your midst, to send letters to the owners/corporate? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'd have a hard time enforcing a no photos rule, especially since they have cameras recording every area of the complex.

      Delete