Saturday, August 27, 2022

The Plot Thickens

Inasmuch as Upstairs Lady and I are creatures of habit — sit in the same seats at bingo, at the same table, I was privy to more tea on how things are going with Downstairs Lady.

I do realize that not all disabilities are obvious, but commonsense and from what I’ve observed, Downstairs Lady has not the mobility issues to justify a downstairs unit.

That same observation has not been lost on Upstairs Lady.

She wasn’t upset that she did not get the unit, saying management is keeping a list of those requesting to move from upstairs to downstairs for medical reasons and those others are ahead of her on the list.

Seems to me that the more serious cases would be moved to the top of the list, but oh well.

What upset Upstairs Lady is that no one on the list got the unit. Instead, this new neighbor was brought in from out of nowhere and given that prime real estate. Not only that, but another senior — whose name I did not recognize — and who I can’t imagine has a disability worse than Upstairs Lady that made him next in line, had already been told he could move from upstairs into that downstairs unit.

Being told the unit was his, he’d made preparations, including change of address while the unit was being cleaned. Had mail already coming to the unit then BAM!!!!, the unit was taken from him and given to this woman who came out of nowhere.

It occurred to me, and I did say to Upstairs Lady, “I suspect nepotism. I suspect that, because times are hard, rents are off the chart elsewhere, that management is bringing in friends, relatives, friends of friends”.

"I’ve had the same thought", said she and added that when she went to the office, to discuss the how and why and that she’s not observed the new resident showing any disability that would warrant her getting downstairs, she was met with rude responses, going in circle responses, and defensiveness.

Responding in circles is nothing new, and getting defensive signifies there is definitely something to hide — nepotistic hanky panky going on AND I highly suspect reverse racism as the residents being treated thusly are Caucasians.

Management is not Black — in fact, though they don't walk all over us as much as they do the Caucasians, it would not surprise me to learn they have not a single Black person working at any of their properties or at corporate, so it’s not us indulging in what looks to me to be reverse racism.

Nepotism is nothing new around here.

When that mean Nurse Ratched took over managing the complex back in 2013, she first brought in her nephew and, with obviously no prior experience, assigned him as an Assistant to our long-time amazing Maintenance Guy.

Once her nephew learned the ropes, she promoted his lazy incompetent arse to Head Maintenance Guy — making our long-time amazing Maintenance Guy his subordinate.

I guess she was hoping Amazing Maintenance Guy would quit but, when he didn’t, she fired him.

He and his wife had lived here since the building first went up, wanted to continue living here as residents, were qualified to continue living here, but Nurse Ratched would not let them sign a lease and kicked ‘em to the curb.

Next she brought in her mom, gave her a unit.

Mom is still living here and we don’t know how many other relatives or friends or friends of friends were brought in during those horrible years when Ratched was manager and are more than likely still living here.

It is what it is.

When all was said and done, my last words on the subject at bingo to Upstairs Lady was, "Things have a way of working out. It will eventually catch up to them."

Her last words were, "I hope that when they get old, they end up in a place just like this, get treated the same way they treat us".

If you will recall, inasmuch as I no longer wear my lucky shirt to bingo — because being cotton, it's beginning to stretch, feels big and clunky now, I didn’t expect much luck at bingo. But then I won a game wearing the leopard face mask.

Debra (She Who Seeks) theorized the mask is my new lucky attire, so I wore it last time.

There was not a win, but I thought perhaps it was because I didn’t wear the matching leggings.

This time, I put the two together — leopard mask, leopard leggings and it turned out to be a winning combination.

I won Game 6 and snagged that soup cup I’d coveted three weeks ago.

It was still there because, every time a winner approached the table, I telephatically sent out "Don't take the soup cup, don't take the soup cup, don't take the soup cup".


Speaking of a plot thickening ...


18 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your win. I like the outfit, I have leopard legging, I'm too large to wear them, though! It's really mean to leave Upstairs Lady on the second floor. Trying to make logic out anything 45, HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or make logic out of anything his cohorts have to say. They experts at talking in circles. My leggings are a spandex blend. They stretch.

      Delete
  2. Whatever happened to Rachted? Do you know where she might have landed? Prison, hopefully! LOL! Good luck on your win! You found the magic outfit!
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After years of getting away with abuse of seniors, even getting some evicted because she said they did not pay rent and they said they gave her a money order, somehow it was discovered she wasn't just stealing from us, she was stealing from corporate ... cooking the books. One day the boss that always covered for her strode into her office, boxed up her items, walked her out of the building onto the parking lot where the police were waiting for her. They didn't care what she did to us, but they cared when she stole from them. I don't think she went to jail because I used to see her visiting her mother, but not in years have I seen her. She probably pled out on whatever they charged her with and had her pay back what she'd stolen from them.

      Delete
    2. She's probably plying her dirty deeds somewhere else. She sounds like a sociopath. Wonder if she was related to Trump?
      Paranormal John

      Delete
    3. I think she was related to Lucifer.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your lucky bingo-winning leopard face mask/leggings combo! Glad you got that soup mug -- sheesh, it's huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally huge. I may use it for coffee so I can say I only drink one cup a day. No one needs to know it's a really big cup, LOL.

      Delete
  4. What drama and rotten management! Hopefully you and your friendly neighbors won't get kicked out for complaining. (Can you complain at the top of corporate?) Hope you don't need that soup cup for a line at a soup kitchen if management gets poopier. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many have complained at the corporate level, including myself. We all got the same answer, "Don't bother us. Your manager will handle it". Problem was we were calling and emailing corporate because she wasn't handling whatever. If they'd listened to us, Ratched would not have been so emboldened as to steal money orders and cook the books for as long as she did.

      Delete
  5. Is there a local reporter who could come out and do a news story on the injustices? Used to see a lot of good results from that in my former city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many "injustices" perpetrated against the elderly that this would be considered not that big a deal, and it isn't because at least here we have a clean-living environment. I've seen and heard of worse.

      Delete
    2. I actually did contact a reporter back when Manager No. 9 was having a fit over the painted rocks, ordering maintenance to toss 'em, giving Painted Rock Lady a hard time. It was a reporter who did human interest stories in the area, thought if he did a story on the painted rocks it would force No. 9 to back off. The reporter wasn't interested. It's like I said ... injustices against the elderly is not new and not news.

      Delete
  6. So glad you got the giant cup. I was worried it would be snagged by someone else before you won!
    At least you are in a good position there, you are not stuck as you could afford to move if you so desired , you are super healthy and you certainly have all your wits about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too was worried it would be snagged. Guess my mental telepathy worked. Funny thing is ... I could have purchased that cup anywhere, and more decorative ones; but there's something about winning it rather than having to buy it. This IS the best place for me right now and, looking elsewhere, I'm lucky to be here because it allows me to save up rather than spend it all on rent, but I do feel for those who have no recourse. I don't know about super healthy as that fasting blood test disclosed a problem I'm not ready to share yet. As for "wits" that's debatable, LOL.

      Delete
  7. Nice bingo haul! The leopard prints are fashionable AND functional!
    Your upstairs/ downstairs does sound like nepotism or some other sort of favoritism. I feel bad for the man for whom the unit had already promised - so wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is wrong. I don't know how some people sleep at night having committed so much wrongness. But I guess that's how it is in the world now ... self first and self interest, me and mine no matter who gets hurt.

      Delete