Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Sushi Pizza

A few days ago, Debra at She Who Seeks, did a post that mentioned Sushi Pizza. Never heard of it but sounded like my kinda thing, so I began looking for recipes.

Though none of the recipes I found would work for me — either because of ingredients I didn’t care for or the time involved in putting it together, I did glean enough to come up with a pizza using a full sheet of Nori, Sushi Rice, Cod and Spinach.


Insofar as taste, it was delicious, but the slices did not hold up.


Nori isn’t strong enough to support a heavy layer of sushi rice.

Returning from this morning’s workout, I gave it a second try — this time with a much thinner layer of rice.


It slices, but still no dice insofar as holding up like a pizza.


Also, calling it a pizza is misleading. The head knows it's fish not pepperoni, but the word "pizza", tricks the mind into thinking it will taste like one.

It doesn’t.

Instead, the taste was that of a delicious sushi roll, especially with a drop or two of Coconut Amino, so delicious that plans to eat half for lunch the other half for dinner didn’t happen yesterday or today. I ate the whole thing both times.

All in all, it was an interesting experiment, but I’ll be saying no to slices, sticking with rolling my sushi.

Heading back to my unit from this morning’s workout, I ran into Red Light District (RLD). She invited me to lunch this Saturday with herself and the Talker. Of course, I had to say no because of my gut issues, but I probably would have declined anyway because I’m kinda feeling RLD is trying to get too close. I like her as a neighbor, but I’m not feeling her as a friend.

Though I said no thanks to lunch, her talking fast, jumping from topic to topic — her medical issues, her daughter’s medical issues, with me trying to walk away, her following so caught me off guard that when she told me to put my telephone number in her phone, I messed up and gave her my number. I also forgot to ask how Painted Rock Lady (hospitalized with COPD) was doing and what’s happening with the Talker and her Karen.

I may be overreacting in thinking she’s trying to get close to me specifically, because RLD appears to be getting close to quite a lot of the residents — knows everyone’s business, probably has all their numbers in her phone.

My spidey sense tells me to be careful what I say to her, just listen, use her as a source, but give her nothing I don’t want to see posted on a billboard — if you know what I mean.

At any rate, I let you down insofar as the latest tea on the Talker/Karen drama, but while talking with RLD, I did see Handsome Man drive into the complex — which verifies he is still living here.

He slowed, as though he wanted to stop and chat but, seeing RLD, he waived, and I waived back as he sped off.

If and when I ever do get to talk to Handsome Man again, not wanting to embarrass him, I’ll play stupid — not mention his son, act as though I’ve heard nothing. It’ll just say "Hi, haven’t seen you in a long time". He’ll ask how I’ve been doing, what I’ve been doing. "Same ole same ole" I’ll say and that will be that.

UPDATE: Just before publishing this post, realizing I'd left my water bottle in the car, I paused this post for a trip to retrieve the bottle and ran into the Talker.

Management has told her nothing BUT the Talker tells me that her Karen is smiling at her, asking her how she's doing "All of a sudden trying to be nice".

That tells me Karen has been given some kind of warning from the office.

The Talker says "I'm not trusting it. It's fake" and I agreed telling her Karen won't be able to maintain for long.

So, the clock is set for when Karen next erupts, but I bet she won't be calling the cops again.

Also, after a week of having been hospitalized, our Painted Rock Lady was released and has returned to her unit.

27 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm so impressed that you made your own sushi pizza, not once, but twice! Yeah, I don't know what could be used to hold it up better either -- maybe it's not meant to be picked up, just eaten right off the plate. I suspect you're right -- sushi pizza is not going to replace rolled sushi any time soon, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be sushi week because John, over at Going Gently, has done Chumaki Rolls. I've Nori and Rice, so I might be eating chumaki rolls remainder of the week.

      Delete
  2. You really do like red pimentos don't you? I pick the things out of my food. I love rolled sushi, and that does seem like an unrolled sushi. You could make it like Hawaii's spam musubi by smashing the sushi rice down into the form you want for the base, then putting your fancy stuff on top.
    A long-time place in college had smoked oyster pizza. It was really good with just one or two pieces of oyster on each slice.
    Yep, Karen is now similar to an ex-husband: when they're being nice there's a damn ulterior motive and it usually eventually appears. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, those are roasted red peppers, but I do like pimentos when they're in the middle of an olive. I wish the Talker would stop being so nice, more honest with herself. Even though she knows Karen is being fake, she's playing her game by smiling back, and responding when Karen now asks "How are you". If it were me, I'd tell her straight out "Don't even try it. I know who and what you are".

      Delete
  3. So glad we could get an update of Talker/Karen. I would have been bummed if there was no news. Your pizza did look tasty so it was a good idea to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never even thought about Sushi Pizza and here it is again. I thought you had gut problems!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you were describing the pizza, I was imagining rolling the whole thing up and slicing into beloved sushi rolls. Mmmmm.
    Sounds like Karen may have been put into her place. But will she remain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen is trying, fooling no one. It's just a matter of how long she can curve her nature.

      Delete
  6. Interesting neighbors and interesting stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rarely boring around here. Take care of yourself. Be well.

      Delete
  7. Glad Painted Rock Lady is out of the Hospital and apparently doing better, she brings such Cheer with her Rocks, the World needs that right now. As for Karen and RLD I'd also be cautious, your strategy for RLD sounds like a good cautious approach. Hopefully she won't be blowing up your Phone but my Grandkids say you can Block anyone you don't want to hear from, so there's that. As for Sushi Pizza, sounds like it was tasty even if it didn't taste like Pizza and your Head got tricked. *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't think Painted Rock Lady is doing all that well. More on that later.

      Delete
  8. I’m here thanks to Debra and I plan to return regularly now. Despite the mess, the sushi pizza looks delicious. And you should have been a hand model! Looking forward to getting caught up on all the neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Mitchell. We don't have any bakeries around here with those tasty naughty looking pastries like in your area, but the neighbors do give me interesting blog fodder.

      Delete
  9. Hello from Idaho, stop in from Debra. I hope your enjoying your day.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any blog friend of Debra is a blog friend of mine. Welcome.

      Delete
  10. Another visitor from Debra's blog!
    When I hear 'sushi pizza' I picture sushi ingredients on top of a pizza dough base. Would that work? But, maybe you don't want the bready part...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I saw on some of the recipes I looked at, but I can't have wheat or flour. I'm thinking maybe two or three sheets of Nori if I ever try sushi pizza again, which I most likely will not. Thanks for the visit and comment.

      Delete
  11. You certainly have an interesting life!
    I'm not a big fan of sushi but will have to google Coconut Amino.
    Like the others, here from Debra's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coconut Amino is a substitute for the soy sauce I'm not allowed to have. Nice of you to visit but do you know your site has a virus alert on it. Fortunately, my firewall blocked it.

      Delete
  12. It looks beautiful. You did a great job. Glad it tasted yummy.
    I'm salivating over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite tasty but would have worked just as well as a sushi roll.

      Delete
  13. I could barely make traditional pizza

    My cooking skills are barely existing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like both you and I are candidates for that TV show Worst Cooks in America :-)

      Delete
  14. Yeah, nori is just too floppy. I wonder if the seaweed element could be incorporated as a furikake topping and the base could be made of something else. But even rice flour would be drifting too far, I think. LOL, A for effort though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the recipes I saw did use seaweed as you'd suggested. I'll take the A for effort and move on. :-)

      Delete