Monday, March 21, 2022

So Much for See Something Say Something

Evidently, the national "If You See Something, Say Something" campaign, designed to encourage the public to report suspicious activity, is for show. Not to be taken seriously.

I called the County SPCA and was transferred to the City's SPCA.

The City's SPCA said, "Let me transfer you".

That next person answered the phone, "Police Department".

"POLICE DEPARTMENT?!!!", said I. "I was just trying to request the SPCA do a welfare check on a cat".

"We do that" said the woman on the line.

However, they only do that if the caller actually sees abuse.

Let me see if I understand this correctly … they will knock on Talker’s door 10:30 at night in response to Karen saying, "I’m sick, I need peace and quiet. They’re stomping on the floor", but they won’t do a welfare check to make sure a crazy Karen is not harming a living creature.

And btw, judging by how Karen appeared in the videos, she isn’t as sick as she purports to be. Plus, she is no longer availing herself of a caregiver ... for unknown reasons.

At any rate, I guess I did understand correctly because I was told that, unless and until I actually see Karen harming the cat, there’s nothing to be done.

No response to the email notifying management of my intent to contact SPCA, but I saw something, said something and if Karen is later found to have done something bad to the cat, it's on those notified for not handling her sooner.

Since it’s unlikely Karen has a kitty litter box, maybe she’ll get sick of the mess and release the cat back into the wild.

In the interim, maybe having the cat will take Karen’s attention off the Talker.

Moving on .... I spotted Jan, our painted rock lady yesterday.

In response to my saying I’d been wondering where she was because I’d not seen her since dropping her off at the medical center, she said "I’ve been hibernating. I’m okay except I have to carry this oxygen tank around and I can’t breathe".

I recently saw a documentary on Bob Ross, the television painting instructor, who died from complications of lymphoma. It's suspected the fumes from the paint and sealants he worked with was a contributing factor to his ailment.

Jan has been using paint and sealants on the rocks that have been brightening up the place; and she's been working on them inside her unit, no ventilation, no mask. I'm no MD, but perhaps that where her COPD is coming from.

Ran into the Baker this morning, as I headed out to the Pain Cave, who also said, "I’ve been hibernating. Needed time alone".

So, I guess Apache, who I've not seen for a couple weeks, is also hibernating; and why it’s so eerily quiet around here. Everyone, except the Karen, is hibernating.

Spring Fever perhaps.

I'd like to hibernate, I'm sleepy right now but, with too much on my to-do list this week, I'll have to settle for naps.

6 comments:

  1. Goodness! You certainly tried! What a round-robin adventure to try and report about the cat. I'm imagining police running around trying to catch the cat if it escaped out the door.
    Maybe Painted Rock Lady used to smoke. It usually catches up with folks.
    That's quite a few folks hibernating! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibernate too long around here and people think you're dead. Sometimes they are.

      Delete
  2. I was thinking, as I watched your "surveillance", that Karen didn't seem to have much physical limitation. Hope the kitty's okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that as well. I think it's something she uses, plays up that business of being sick and needing her rest when she wants to get sympathy, or get her way. I'm not holding out much hope for the cat because, being feral, it probably needs shots and the right kind of food. So, whether she intends to harm it or not, it will eventually be harmed.

      Delete
  3. I did not know that about Bob Ross. I've always painted on my porch or balcony. Thank goodness. Kudos to you for following through for the cat even though the result was not what we expected. That makes me wonder if there are so vigilante groups out there that will check on animal welfare. I'm going to see if I find anything around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The documentary on Netflix, Bob Ross: Happy Accidents, Betrayal and Greed, is well worth viewing. He went through a lot, but kept it hidden.

      Delete