Monday, March 14, 2022

Spring Has Sprung

Judging by the number of flybys over and across my patio, the birds are not waiting for March 20, the official first day of Spring. They’re scouting locations for their nests right now.


Every Spring, for the ten years of living here, I’ve successfully discouraged birds from moving into the highly desirable eaves over to the side of the patio — the space behind where that bird is posing, because I don’t want to deal with the mess birds make. So, I’ve got my eyes on him just in case he’s thinking of staking a claim to that spot.

Birds are crafty little beings, and have outsmarted me in the past by nesting overhead, somewhere in the decorative roof tiles — where I can neither see or reach, but they leave me droppings to clean up as a sign they’re up there.

Happy am I when the seasons change and the birds go on their way — no daily cleanup of the patio duty for me, but now I see it’s that time yet again.

Birds all over the place, which I don’t mind seeing and hearing, so long as they don’t poop on my patio; and then there are the lizards on the walkway — which kinda creep me out. They’re everywhere, having baby lizards even, and don’t bother to move off the path when I’m approaching.

All this nature is really chapping my hide.

To top it off, two/three days ago, I saw a spider inside. Sorry if you’re a spider lover and it offends you, but I sprayed it to death.

I recently read an article urging us to not kill spiders. Something about their being necessary to the ecosystem.

Bump That, thought I.

The insect rule is, "I don’t bother you outside. You don’t come inside". 

Punishment for breaking that rule is bug spray.

Saturday was the start of my third year with Trainer.

Walking into the studio this morning, he had a surprise for me.


That’s right. He has relocated the warm up station, i.e., treadmill, for like the 7th time. It’s back to where we started three years ago.

18 comments:

  1. I understand that spiders are good for Mother Erath but they scare me and so they must be killed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But the birdies LIKE you! Can you put kitty litter in a plastic pan under them? Weigh it down with a rock? If you invite a lizard in, and pet him on the tummy he'll go to sleep and live on top of a picture frame! Gecko types. In Hawaii. Spiders should be swatted with your flip-flop. You might die inhaling the spray. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it's windy, the tiny rocklike droppings spread all over the patio. It's too icky even thinking about smashing a spider. I'll take my chances at keeping a safe distance, in case it jumps, spraying at it. If a lizard made its way inside, I'd have to grab a go-bag, head for a hotel, leave the place to it.

      Delete
  3. Spiders everywhere fear you. Don't ever get close to Spider-Man. So what if he's a national hero, you'd get out the BIG can of bug spray for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fear me only if they come inside. Spiderman is an exception, all three of them. I'd actually like to cosplay as spiderman when next I see a Hero 5K near me.

      Delete
  4. We have dandelions blooming already. They have even lasted through a couple of snow storms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears that, just like some of us humans are going off center, the seasons and weather are doing likewise.

      Delete
  5. I was just telling someone that when we lived in Mexico we got used to geckos crawling around on the ceiling of our bedroom. And in another house there were dozens of huge black moths of some kind that clustered in the ceiling of an outdoor deck. I mean these were BIG devils - - 4 to 5 inches across. So the occasional spider doesn't bother me, I just squash 'em. :^D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! That sounds like a nightmare. If I can't handle the little bugs, I'd lose my mind living with big ones.

      Delete
  6. I don't mind spiders as much as those damn thousand leggers!!!! They creepy me the hellllllll out girl!!!!!!!!!!! Fast little suckers too.

    As your aware...I adore me birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore birds as well, especially hummingbirds. I just don't care for them nesting in my eaves, dropping crap onto the patio.

      Delete
  7. That looks like a mourning dove in your photo? They are notorious for building nests and making messes in inappropriate places. We had a dove couple build their nest in our garage - like we're never gonna close the door!
    I support your insect rule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that's what they are. They make a "coo" sound.

      Delete
  8. I have to force myself not to feed the birds or squirrels. It comes naturally to me. When I had a house, I would put the bird feeders outside a window where I could watch the comings and goings without the mess. Now, no window far enough away from my patio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get cha on "no window far enough", LOL. I was, at one time, thinking of setting up a feeder to attract hummingbirds. They don't leave mess. It's the big birds, the doves, that are problematic.

      Delete
  9. That’s one serious-looking gym. I love lizards. Insects... I try to appreciate them but the idea of spiders crawling across my bed at night creeps me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spiders are dangerous, not to mention ugly. Our original maintenance man, no longer here, got bitten by a spider while working on the property. Ended up in the hospital.

      Delete