Friday, March 11, 2022

Out With the Old

Headed out to the Pain Cave this morning, I saw our rock lady Jan struggling along the walkway. Now dependent upon an oxygen tank, she was on her way to the doctor's office for some kind of breathing test.

Life can change on a dime. From no problems with breathing, just her knees, she's had her knees repaired and now this.

That's why I take nothing for granted, generally prepare for the worse, as I did when I headed out yesterday for the dental office to have two of the old metal fillings removed and temporary crowns.

Just in case I died from the pain in Dr. C's chair, I made sure the unit was clean, dishes were washed, and I dressed cute in case the afterlife was what I've seen in the new comedy on CBS "Ghosts" where the ghosts are stuck wearing whatever clothing they died in.

On the way to the dental office, I looked for but did not see the Urban Geese when I drove by the Library. Returning a few hours later, having survived the dental procedure, I circled the block looking. Still no sign of the Canadian Geese.

The geese have either moved on or ended up the main dish on someone’s dinner table. Hopefully it’s the former, not the latter.

Arriving at the dental office five minutes early, I was called to the chair right away.

THEN, there was a long lag time before he got to me and long lag times in-between various stages of getting two temporary crowns. Gave me plenty of time to observe and listen.

After observing and listening, I've concluded that I need to find a new dental office, but good luck finding one with the old values, one I can trust.

What brought me to this particular dental office was a recommendation. I came, I saw, I’ve been coming back some 20 years. During that time, I’ve seen very few staff changes. Actually, only three — a hygienist who moved back to Hawaii, and two hygienists who retired after 30 and 35 years with this office.

Now, all of a sudden, it appears it's out with the old, in with the younger, fresher, new.

ALL the faces have changed, including McDreamy, whom they tell me is "on leave, not expected back".

Sounds like an oxymoron to me because "on leave" denotes coming back, while "not expected back" denotes gone for good.

So which is it?

I think what's happening is McDreamy, and the previous team have been pushed out, replaced with a team which appears to be comprised of all young people, and they are being vague as to where everyone is because they want to keep the established clientele, don't want to lose our business.

Everyone there now seems nice, friendly to us clients, appear to enjoy their work, their coworkers and I've no problem with the hygienist, but I don’t trust the dentists — not the one (Dr. S) I asked not to be pared with last visit and not the one I ended up with (Dr. C).

Back when McDreamy was working on me, he was working on ME. He'd chat at me, tell me about his family. While yesterday, when Dr. C was working on me, he'd get up, bounce from chair to chair, client to client. I felt like a piece of meat on a friggin assembly line.

Listening to his conversation with the woman in the chair nearest to my station, I heard "crown", then I heard "root canal".

Off in the distance, I heard the other DDS discussing "crown/root canal" with a patient.

Reminded me of when, back in 2006, I’d taken a car in for service and heard the service manager come into the waiting room and tell woman after woman after woman they needed something that would add approximately $500 to the bill.

Seeing the pattern, I told myself if he came in and gave me that line, inasmuch as I'd been thinking of purchasing a new car, I’d take it as a sign it was time to buy.

He did, so I did.

I declined the work. Wanting a female to get commission for the sale, saw they had a female salesperson, I walked over to her, used the car being serviced as a trade-in, drove away with a new car.

I saw the same pattern at the dental office yesterday when, sure enough, once the work was completed, Dr. C said he’d seen a lot of decay when he’d removed the metal filling, had cleaned it out but a root canal might be in my future.

I didn’t say anything out loud in response, but my inner Anne Marie came out. I heard myself saying to myself that This MoFo thinks I'm stupid. I'm not having any G’Damn F’ing root canal!

When asked if I wanted to schedule the additional work when I came back for the permanent crowns, I paused to think it through and felt pressured when his assistant kept saying she needed to know so she could schedule his time. She wouldn't give me time to think, just kept saying she needed to know for the doctor's schedule, so I said I wanted to think about it and scheduled myself to come back in two weeks only for the permanent crowns.

Until the Universe leads me to where I am to be insofar as a new dental office, I’ll go back to the hygienist for cleanings but the plan is to have nothing to do with the dentists.

And btw, I passed on the nitrous oxide because, if it wasn't going to give me a 60's buzz, I didn't need it. Two numbing shots dulled the senses just fine.

As far as plans for this weekend, the price of gas is dictating my activities.


No more driving out of the area for entertainment purposes. Gas will be used for essential travel, like to/from the dentist, a trip to the medical center for a blood pressure check the doctor recently requested and possibly a trip to the nail salon next week.

This weekend will be catching up on recorded TV programs, working on that needlepoint project, and keeping an eye out for Karen.

Returning to my unit from the dentist yesterday, I happened to look out the patio window and there she was.

Rarely seen in the wild, Karen was standing outside her unit glaring up at the Talker's unit, no doubt irritated by some sound and probably wishing bad things on the occupants.

Before I could grab my phone and take a photo for you, she'd slunk back inside.

So, adding to TV and needlepoint is being on Karen Alert, waiting for an opportunity to catch her outside, giving the upstairs unit the evil eye.

22 comments:

  1. Consider finding the nearest community college's dental hygiene clinic. They are wonderful. Mine requires that I live in the same county, and of course, our appointments are during school semesters. They have an appointment request form. Mine charges $10. You are required to be ready to loan them your mouth for 2-4 hours. They have provided the best care, cleanings, xrays, panoramic xrays, all supervised by their Dental Hygienist instructor AND and full dentist who inspects the work a 2nd time and agrees with the plan. I've had $250+ of cleaning, fluoride treatments done. In two trips, they did $1200 worth of scaling, for $10! Their DENTIST can tell if I need cavities filled, which they don't do. It's been very interesting to see what the college's dental hygiene clinic's dentist says I need done, and what the dentists in a local practice say is allegedly urgent. MILES apart. I've gone to my community college clinic as much as possible for years. They promote 2 visits a year too. One instructor said some dentists are "drill happy" while others take a more frequent aggressive approach. Yep, the old ones were more reasonable and honest.
    Yes, local dental colleges have programs, but I'm talking about dental hygiene student clinics. It's actually kinda fun. It's a two-year program for the students. ALL have been very gentle; the last one, a second-year was so gentle I slept a bit. Disclaimer: the school is also where I got my RN degree. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea. I found one a 20 minute drive from here. I'll schedule my next cleaning there and have them tell me if I need the other work done and, if so, get a recommended dentist from them. THANKS! I'll pass the info along as Red Light District said she and her daughter are having serious dental issues but can't afford to go to a dentist.

      Delete
    2. What a great idea. I don't know if there is such a school here. Perhaps through our community college system.

      Delete
    3. Shhh, get your appointment before RLD and her daughter. I told a friend about it. The school filled up with appointments a couple of semesters, so I had to wait til the next semester. Turns out the friend's husband got one of the spots during a semester I couldn't get in! Mine IS open to the county public, so I'm presuming that may be the case across the country. Their websites usually let you know when you can put in the appointment request just before the next semester starts. No guarantee you get a spot. They also love folks who are available M-F, or on clinic days, cuz they're usually able to come quickly if someone cancels. Again, most don't do drilling for cavities, root canals, mean nasty dental stuff. I was surprised they do scaling, AND could do an injection if needed, but it wasn't uncomfortable. Good Luck!

      Delete
    4. I can't make a move until I get those permanent crowns, while RLD and her daughter are in dire straits. RLD said something about being in danger of losing her teeth, while her daughter is in pain, has teeth growing in her gums. I gather RLD was too poor to take her daughter to a dentist when younger and now that both are on the low end financially speaking. I'm fortunate. I can afford to go to a dentist, so I'll pass on the info to her and wish her luck.

      Delete
    5. As usual, you are a most kind human. Almost sounds like they need to find the free clinic connected to a dental school. Linda in Kansas

      Delete
    6. Man, I'm going to visit Linda in Kansas and get my work there! Actually, there is a good school here but it is way across town. I can either pay for the gas or the dentist visit.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure you are correct about the dentist. I would definitely be on the lookout for a new dentist, one that is older, though and has owned their practice for a long time. These young dentists are looking for a way to pay for their schooling as well as purchasing an established practice and probably new equipment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an excellent point about needing to pay off schooling.

      Delete
  3. Well, Karen's Goodwill didn't last long did it? *LOL* As for Dentists, yes, and Repairmen too, always SOMETHING and usually costly, I don't Trust hardly anyone anymore... always looking to pad the Bill. Gas prices will mean I'll drive less and not make frivolous trips anywhere. Replacement of Old Workers with Young ones seems to be the norm now, unless they're hiring Minimum Wage jobs that used to go to pimply faced High School Students who now won't take those jobs so they're filling them with Seniors needing supplemental income just to survive or pay for their medical expenses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen folded a lot sooner than I thought she would, LOL.

      Delete
  4. A good and honest dentist is worth his/her weight in gold alright. I've always found that word of mouth (so to speak) recommendations from friends is the best way to find a new dentist. I've ditched dentists too who I feel are trying to rip me off with unnecessary work. When I was young, I worked as a dental assistant so I have a good sense of when BS work is being proposed. Yeah, my experience came 50 years ago but things don't change THAT much in dentistry, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They got a nice chunk of change out of me this week, but it will be the last chunk they get.

      Delete
  5. One must just love dentist and mechanics. Interchangeable?

    Om lands, I haven't seen a 7-Eleven in years. They folded up in these parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you kidding about 7-11 folding? There's practically one on every corner around here, with the slogan "Oh thank heaven for 7-11". This one is new. Was to be a Starbucks but ended up 7-11 instead.

      Delete
    2. We used to have a ton of them here, like you said on every corner it seemed... but Im not sure what happened. We have now many Sheetz and Wawa's and Turkey Hills.

      Delete
  6. Sorry your dental office is going the route it is. Sounds like they're more interested in maximizing throughput. Good for you for not giving into pressure tactics. Love the car dealership story!
    Almost sounds like Karen was out there casting a spell on the Talker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understood why the unsavory practices at this dealership when, two years later, Saturn went bankrupt, out of business, but no excuse for treating customers that way. Maybe I'll look back in two years and this dental office will be out of business.

      Delete
  7. My God how I laughed when you said that your were wearing something cute in case it's like the show Ghosts. I watch that show and the poor guy who died in a suit without his pants makes me laugh. So I understood you. As for the root canel normally I have to go to a special dentist just for that. (endodontist?) I think this dude is ripping you off. But I think you are right - only get cleaning there and find a better dentist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're the only one to have gotten that reference as to why dressing for the afterlife is important :-)

      Delete
  8. FYI your blog post "Sushi Pizza" is one of my "Post(s) of the Week" at my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh WOW! I never thought I'd be interesting enough to make the cut. I'm honored. Thanks!

      Delete