Thursday, March 24, 2022

Stockholm Syndrome

I was almost late to this morning's dental appointment because, as I was just about to leave, I looked over and saw Karen out in the wild again.

She was once again picking up olives fallen from the tree, then she chased a cat.

Oh No, thought I. She's going to be like bird man — who hoarded birds in his unit, only Karen would one day be found to be hoarding cats.

However, when I saw her lure the cat with olives, grab it and take inside, all of a sudden the lightbulb came on … it’s the same cat … HER cat, not a feral.

Looks like I owe Karen an apology AND it’s a good thing SPCA was non responsive.

In defense of myself, however, with all the crazy I know for a fact she’s done, it was logical to conclude the cat I’d seen her chase was feral — especially since household pet cats are not allowed outside.

With all the discussions us residents have had about Karen’s behaviors, no one ever said she had a cat and, far as I know, this dance of letting it out while she picks up olives, is new behavior.

I’ll have to check with the others on that.

I will say I’m impressed.

Cats are known to be independent. Karen has somehow trained her cat not to take off running when she lets it out AND to stay in a contained area.

Though the cat does resist and runs from her, as it did the other day and this morning, Karen eventually catches it with the lure of a treat.

At any rate, I headed out too late to take the scenic route to the dentist’s office, had to hop on the freeway, but I arrived on time.

Shades of Stockholm Syndrome, I felt Dr. C growing on me.

Doesn’t mean I’ll trust him, let him work on me again, but even though I’m unsure of his work and feel he played me for a fool, I felt comfortable and kinda liked the chairside manner he displayed today.

Of course, at the end of the procedure, discussion ensued as to another crown AND six or seven fillings — remove the metal, replace with what’s new.

Lying through my teeth (do you see what I did there?) I said, "You’re new to me. This is a test. I want to wait, see how this work goes".

He said, "Sure. I’m not going to push you".

But then his assistant takes over and says, "So when can we schedule?", like she didn't just hear what I said.

She goes on with "The doctor will be gone for a week, but we can go out two or three weeks. How does that sound?".

Sounds like bull crap, thought I, but repeated, "I want to wait" yada yada.

"Sure, that is your right. Do you want us to call you in two or three weeks?"

"No. I’ll call you".

"Don’t wait too long. Don’t wait until things start to hurt" and then she began telling me frightening things that could happen if I wait too long.

To be honest, I almost folded, let her schedule me, but held out for no and don’t call me, I’ll call you.

I’ve been researching dentists all week, had a list of ones to check out, including the dental school as suggested by commenter Drum Major. Checking Yelp reviews, nothing was making me feel hopeful.

Once back at the complex, I decided what I really needed was a 2nd opinion, because the area Dr. C indicated is an old crown with decay underneath, is actually an area that bothers me a little.

He may actually be right.

Researching 2nd Opinions, I landed on a dental office that I figured would do for just an x-ray and tell me what you see.

So, today ends with my having an appointment there tomorrow, after the Pain Cave.

Just to make sure that dental office is legit, I checked them out on Yelp.

They have such outstanding reviews that, if all goes well, even if all doesn’t go well and I need further work, I’ll probably sign on with them as my new dental office.

We'll see.

Bird Man hasn't been thought about or discussed in the blog since around 2015 when, after two years of trying, management finally evicted him. So, for new readers, I'll give you a brief rundown on Bird Man.

A random Inspection of all units turned up a unit that had been turned into an aviary — live uncaged birds, freely flying about, nesting, pooping.

In addition, management discovered Bird Man had also turned his car garage into an aviary.

Birdman was given the option to get rid of the birds or be evicted.

Birdman chose to fight.

The matter went to court, where he was once again given the choice of the birds or his unit.

He chose the birds, put what birds he could handle in cages, took them with him to live in a nearby park.

So, NOW, he puts them in cages. Never would have been a problem in the first place had he’d kept his birds in cages rather than turn his unit into an aviary, thought I at the time.

When maintenance went to evaluate the damage, they said there were at least 100 birds remaining. "We just opened the door and let ‘em fly out". Same with the garage — the guys unlocked the door and let them out.

The guys found bird nests in the towel racks and feathers stuck behind the light fixtures.

19 comments:

  1. Definitely some interesting Characters there in the complex! We used to have a Guy we called Bird Man in the 70's when I worked at the Bank in one of the Skyscrapers. Only, he'd stand at each corner of every Skyscraper and Whistle like a Bird, loudly... who knows Why? *LOL* He was harmless, eccentric as they come and after Years nobody saw him anymore. Glad Karen does own said Cat and it's probably being Cared for well enough it's sticking with her, Cats will change owners if they have a bad one. Actually, Cats don't even have owners, they have staff. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know if she's a bad owner, the cat will book it on outta there. Cats having staff is so true and had me LOLing.

      Delete
  2. PS: Forgot to comment on your Dental situation, looks like a good Plan to get that 2nd Opinion from a highly rated Dentist. The high pressure and neg vibe of the one you currently have throws up Red Flags. When they find too much Wrong I never Trust them... I'm beginning to feel that way about our Air Conditioning Company we have on retainer. Had them for Decades but suddenly they always have extra things they suggest are necessary and it always costs a lot... so I'm suspicious. We get our Maintenance done without paying extra since we pay Twenty a Month to retain them for preventative maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like a lot of companies ... dentists, A/C companies, et al, are trying to recoup from financial losses due to covid closure.

      Delete
  3. Karen is still crazy. Maybe the cat will wander to another unit. Wonder what the inside of her unit looks like?
    Good luck with the tooth fairy. A dental hygiene school takes xrays too and can determine if that spot is really a genuine problem.
    Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd downloaded the dental school's patient application, but this 2nd opinion guy came up right after, no charge, and I saw it as a sign, especially after I read their reviews.

      Delete
  4. Do you have to avow that you’re a character to get a place in your complex? Wow! We used to breed lovebirds and canaries, in cages, in a very big house. I arrived home from work one evening and noticed the whole place had begun to smell like an aviary. It’s not a nice smell. I can’t imagine what Bird Man’s apartment smelled like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Management is taking “Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses” entirely too seriously. They’ve set aside a certain percentage of units for those on the county’s needy roll. Which is good for nice people who’ve fallen upon hard times ─ some were homeless, living in their cars. They now have a safe, clean, comfortable place to live. It’s also good for management, because of tax credits they receive, plus the county pays a percentage of the rent for people in those units. So on top of tax credits, management makes out by charging a much higher rent for those units because the county will pay what the tenant cannot afford. Problem is ... some of those huddled masses are not nice and further that some are not wrapped too tight. It’s a mixed bag of characters ─ nice, not nice, crazy which actually is not fair, sometimes not safe, for the rest of us. But it does give me lots of blog fodder.

      Delete
    2. Our mantra around here for years has been, it just gives us more stories to tell.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. This second opinion worked out. Saved me $2500 in unnecessary dental work.

      Delete
  6. Good idea to get a second opinion. I have a couple of metal fillings that my dentist has been bugging me to swap out for a couple of years, but I'm waiting until I'm forced to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2nd Opinion dentist said metal doesn't need to be taken out unless it's leaking. So, I won't be putting myself through that procedure.

      Delete
  7. We had one bird when I was growing up. He had a cage, but we left the door open for him to roam about as he pleased. That was plenty messy enough. I can't even imagine what Birdman's unit and garage must have looked and smelled like!

    Crown's aren't forever. Always good to get a second opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't tell me metal wasn't forever when they put those in and now I'm learning crowns aren't forever. This is nuts.

      Delete
  8. Wow. I had not heard about Bird Man before. I have to say free flying birds in an apartment is new to me. How gross.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They also found a woman who had about an inch of dirt on her floors. She got mad when the guys came in and "disturbed" her dirt.

      Delete
  9. Wow, Birdman had an issue ... free in the house and caged in the wild??

    And I guess it's a good thing the authorities didn't come for Karen ... THIS TIME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, free in house/caged in wild didn't make sense to me either. I think he was being stubborn, didn't like anyone telling him what to do and suffered the consequences.

      Delete