Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Pick-A-Color

Instead of doing my own nails, I pampered myself with an appointment for a spa mani/pedi.

Arriving at the nail salon this morning, I see the bulbs are still out on the facial waxing sign, transposing it into "racial waxing".


The owners and workers are seeing the same thing I'm seeing, so not my job to tell 'em how it reads, as some of you had suggested I do when I saw this at my last visit.

Besides, I'm having too much fun giggling at the idea of what a racial waxing might be, what it could accomplish.

Once seated in the spa chair, things did not go smoothly.

The mani/pedi I’d requested had been recorded as a pedi — the salon had not booked a manicurist for my session.

Consequently, the woman who was doing my pedicure — the one I've always requested for pedicures, had to do double duty as manicurist.

Great for her because, when it came to tip time, since she did both, I gave her the tip for both.

Not so great for me because she’s an older woman who can do wonders as a pedicurist, but makes for a lousy manicurist.

I had to ask her to correct areas where nails she’d shaped appeared lopsided and, once back at the complex, I had to do 911, with an emery board, to smooth jagged edges.

Oh well. At least I got the color I wanted.

Green for St. Patrick’s Day

Plus, I get $15 off my next visit for their mistake.

Work continues on what used to be the Sears Superstore in that shopping center, which store had barely been hanging on, and was finally done in by the shutdown / quarantine / pandemic.


Thus far, it looks to be a Floor & Décor going in at the far left end. I think it's already open for business.

What remains is a lot of real estate to be filled but a clue, as to what is being done with the space, is a sign offering jobs for an At Home Superstore.

The economy being what it is, I can't imagine people will fluff away money on décor, home decorating, that the new businesses will do any better than the Sears Superstore did.

While in the area, not necessarily needing gas yet, as I still had about a half a tank, I spied a station selling at $5.51 a gallon. Beats the heck out of what’s being charged near the complex, so I pulled in and filled up.

Exiting the freeway, headed home, I saw this.


Looks like someone mistook the home’s driveway as the freeway entrance, or was a drunk exiting, missing the turn, going straight.

Homeowner appears to be lucky the fence and car prevented the driver from ending up inside the home.

24 comments:

  1. Green nails for St Paddy's Day! Nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picked up a stick of green lipstick as well, but not as deeply green as I would have liked. I'll be all dressed up with no place to go, LOL.

      Delete
  2. Love the nail color!!!!!!!!!!

    We have an At Home here and I haven't been impressed with it. We used to go there to get props such as vases and odd and ends in multiples when I worked at Bloomies for the uppers in the store. I don't know how they hang on. The store is huge, and no one ever appears to be in the store. HomeGoods will kill them here. Since the pandemic I haven't been back over that way, I don't even know if there even still there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a Home Goods. I've only been in once, looking for a poster sized frame, which they didn't have and saw nothing to lure me back. Will be interesting to see if At Home does any better than any of the other home stores around here.

      Delete
  3. Love the nail color.
    Scared to have a house that close to an onramp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the best location for a home, but I'll just bet the house was there long before the freeway. I've seen where the government splits up a community, takes homes through eminent domain, and the homes remaining end up like this one ... next door to the freeway entrance/exit.

      Delete
  4. I mainly go to At Home to walk the aisles when it's too hot/cold/rainy to be outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to take a walk thru when it opens, just to be nosey.

      Delete
  5. That home owner was lucky that the car didn't end up inside their place.
    I like the color of your nails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously lucky. There was a thing on the news just this week about a hit and run driver killing a sleeping man and his child by driving into a wall of their home.

      Delete
  6. I just this morning saw a cashier in a store with bright green nails and complimented her and noted that she appeared ready for St. Patrick's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been so long since I had a Mani/Pedi, I think your Nails look nice so you did a good 911 on them. A lot of Stores have gone Belly Up lately so I'm seeing lots of vacancies. Even at the Mall the other day the Starbucks on the mezzanine, which always did so well, was gone... they'd move it inside of Macy's, which seems strange, less exposure and not nearly as busy since you'd have to want to go into Macy's in order to even discover it there... less visibility when it was front and Center near the Food Court, but Downstairs on the lower level and near lots of Popular Stores, but not IN any of them. The SEARS Appliance Store near our Antique Mall is Closing, I never saw many people in there before Pandemic tho', so how they held on this long I can't tell you? A big COSTCO in a Big Mall also Closed... so a lot of Anchor Stores are leaving the Traditional Indoor Malls around here and the Weird Boutiques now predominating are catering to demographics that have been the Death Knell for a lot of Malls... a Jumping the Shark sort of Sign once they move in, usually within the Year the Mall will deteriorate and then become Abandoned and Close Down, be torn down. I mean, how many tacky Clothing Boutiques and Designer Tennis Shoe Stores can sustain a large Retail Mall? If you're only catering to the Urban Youth Culture, most people over 30 are no longer gonna shop there anymore. And anymore, a lot of the Kids are more adept at Shoplifting what they want than paying for it... and the Five Finger Discount Crown make Loss Prevention a huge Issue... I mean, I'm seeing Security needed at Dollar Stores now... just WTF?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unbelievable that a Starbucks and Costco cannot do well, and with so many big malls going out of business, why not turn those buildings into residences to house the homeless.

      Delete
    2. I've long said I don't know why they don't utilize old office buildings and malls for the homeless. I guess we have too much sense Shirley and use our heads smartly

      Delete
    3. Well obviously, you and I should be the ones in charge :-)

      Delete
    4. I nominate Maddie and Shirley to be in Charge.

      Delete
  8. Happy St. Patty's!
    I see a lot of empty retail space around here. We have a big previously-was-a-Sears that has been vacant for over a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy St. Patty to you as well. It appears Sears is going to be one of those stores that no longer exist, people will forget ever was, some not know ever were, like Woolworth's, et al.

      Delete
  9. I had the same car thing happen to me. Some car jumped the curb, took out a mid-size crepe myrtle, continued across my lawn and hit my car parked very closed to my house, pushed my car sideways into the neighbor's fence and luckily stopped there or they would have ended up up in neighbor's front room. How the car was able to drive away no one could figure, mine was totaled (as well as the fence). Btw, I like that green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Not even safe in one's own home due to idiot and/or drunk drivers.

      Delete
  10. Classy nail color. The hand model is at it again.

    ReplyDelete