Monday, November 22, 2021

Oh No! Monday Again?

Another weekend where there just wasn’t enough weekend in the weekend. In fact, I woke up yesterday thinking it was Saturday.

Color me disappointed, when I realized yesterday was Sunday, and that another Monday (today) was coming … way too soon.

At least it was a productive weekend. I got the Creative Memories scrapbook up-to-date, got laundry out of the way, as well as grocery shopping and away from home meal planning done. Having pretty much organized myself that all I have to do before heading out of town on Wednesday, is to gas up the car, give myself another manicure/pedicure. I even started work on the baby quilt.

News this morning, other than that huge flash mob robbery in San Francisco, was that a car, on purpose, drove straight through a Christmas Parade, killing and harming others.

After thinking about what kind of person would do such a thing my mind went to Wait, What, A Christmas Parade in November? We haven’t even had the Turkey Trots.

Am I wrong? Is that not unusual timing for a Christmas parade?

Next news item was that the other high-profile trial, the Murder of the Black Jogger, is now into closing arguments.

Inasmuch as the trial judge is NOT leading the jurors in this trial, I expect the perps will be found guilty …. If not of First-Degree Murder, guilty of something. They won’t walk free.

Seeing the video of Aubrey being chased after the three saw him walk into and out of the open area of a house under construction before they grabbed their guns and took chase, reminded me of what I’ve said and blogged about previously. That, as a person of color, one has to ALWAYS be aware of and consider the optics.

The hotel I’ve booked for this latest trip has a stove top and microwave, which will make it easier to feed myself than a hotel with no means of warming up or cooking meals that won’t set off a gut episode.

The little kitchen area also provides guests with cooking utensils — pots, pans, plates, etc.

Being the finicky type, I won’t be using the provided cookware, I’m taking my own coffeepot, a little skillet, paper plates, utensils.

I’m sure some guests, like those that steal away with hotel towels, have taken advantage of what’s been provided, stuffed what they wanted in their suitcase as they checked out. I, as a person of color, fully expecting to be suspicious just because of the color of my skin, am considering those optics and photographing the cookware I’m taking with me in their natural habitat — my kitchen at home.

No guarantee I won’t yet and still be profiled, accused of thievery if cookware is heard rattling around in my bag, but it does give me protection if accused.

Persons of color cannot just walk into and out of the open area of a house under construction.

In fact, last month, month before, there were optics involved which caused cops to be called, guns to be drawn, handcuffs to be placed on the people seen entering an empty house. It was a realtor, showing a house to a client and the client's son. No surprise that all three were Black.

It's not right and it's not fun, but us persons of color are always at the mercy of the erroneous concepts of persons not of color and have to find ways to work around, protective ourselves, from the optics.

I don't need to go grocery shopping today, but I'm accustomed to receiving a message from Trainer to "Abort Mission" (the Security Guard is at his post in the market) or "He’s not here".

No such message received so far this morning. Probably because Trainer told me on Friday that he and that Security Guard are bonding.

Whereas the Security Guard used to glare at Trainer and not speak, when Trainer walked in on Friday, the Security Guard greeted him with, "Hey Big Dog. How’s it going".

Trainer said he responded, he and Security Guard had a brief conversation, and "He’s really a nice guy".

"So was Ted Bundy", said I.

Perhaps Trainer bonding with Security Guard will work to my advantage, so I can return to the market — which I must do after Thanksgiving because “Find Your Hometown Elf” will be back, and I don’t plan to let Security Guard spoil my annual fun.

12 comments:

  1. Those murderers in Georgia better be fund guilty. There is no rhyme or reason for shooting Ahmaud Arbery. They hunted him down, three to one, and if they believed he committed some crime call the police and let them handle, though, in America today I wonder if Arbery would have had better luck with cops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They won't get what they deserve, but it will be the end of the world if they walked away scot free.

      Delete
  2. Last time we stayed at an air bnb, all the kitchen knives were DULL dull. I thought I should've brought my own, but I wouldn't have thought to confirm ahead of time that they were, in fact, mine - your experience, sadly, is illuminating.

    I can't imagine acquittal for the Ahmaud Arbery killers. Please, no.

    Good luck with Security Guard. "So was Ted Bundy" - True!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learned to listen to my instincts, have no problem talking to, getting to know, cashiers at the market, baggers, the security guard at my bank, et al. There's just something about Security Guard that gives me the creeps. So "nice guy", I think not.

      Delete
  3. What adventures! You might want to take a photo with it's date/time stamp of what IS provided in your hotel room. That way, they can't claim you took any. There may not be much provided. I bet they put "missing items" on your hotel bill debit/credit card. I always lock my items that I don't want stolen in my suitcase and use a lock in the loops of the closed zippers. Yep, they could slash the suitcase material, but so far it's worked. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea to take photos of what IS, just in case.

      Delete
  4. Yes, the Optics always have to be considered... so much Judging goes on in this World based solely on appearances and the stereotypes formed by some and perpetuated even when proven to be made up or grossly exaggerated to justify personal biases and prejudices. I had always Wished that in my Lifetime Society could move beyond such nonsense and superficial based Hatred. I used to think it had gotten better from when I was Young, but now I'm not so sure, it laid low and just festered I think and now those with that Mindset are emboldened again and not Shamed for such things. Anyway, I Hope that Security Guard won't continue being problematic... Loved the Ted Bundy reply, all the most heinous Criminals seem so Nice and Normal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only has it gotten way worse, it's now open season.

      Delete
  5. A creative memories scrapbook sounds fun. I do some scrapbooking but haven't done any n a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creative Memory albums are incredibly rewarding. It's like my history and the family history in stories and photos.

      Delete