Thursday, November 11, 2021

Veteran’s Day


The realization that today is Veteran’s Day made me think of the vets we have here on the property, and it hit me that one is missing.

The vet I’m thinking of — whose wife I’ve never seen, because she’s an invalid, generally can be seen out walking his German Shepherd.

Now realizing, I’ve not seen him since around July is giving me pause.

I’ll have to catch up with one of the guys, ask if he moved.

Word on the grapevine is that the bank on the corner, across from the market, was robbed on Tuesday by someone welding a shotgun. “Got away clean …. Cops everywhere”.

I didn’t leave the unit on Tuesday, and heard no sirens.

Curious as to details, I’ve searched local news and there’s nothing, but I did see on the bank’s website, that it was “Temporarily Closed” and, checking the site this morning, is still temporarily closed.

Trainer said he actually saw the aftermath — all the cops, but was not in the studio during the time of the robbery.

Can you imagine how desperate someone has to be to walk into a bank with a shotgun and rob the place?

Fortunately, as far as I know, no one was harmed.

My mom was once inside a bank when it was being robbed.

I don’t remember all the details, whether customers were told to hit the ground or ordered to stay in place, but I do recall my mom saying she kept her hands up in the air and had blurted out, “Oh lordy, I’m so scared”. ROFLMAO!

Sorry, not something to laugh at, but the idea of my mom blurting out that line just cracks me up.

Rather than drive out of the area and return to the location I’d gotten Shot 1 and Shot 2, just in case I had a bad reaction, I had plans to get my Booster at the corner drugstore — where I could just walk back home.

Scheduled for tomorrow, or so I thought, I’d had to jump through hoops to schedule the appointment — fill out multiple online forms, answer all kinds of health and vaccine questions, provide doctor information, but I got ‘er done.

THEN, granddaughter called this morning to see if the only reason I’d declined her mom’s invitation to Thanksgiving was because her brothers are not vaccinated.

You read that right, the grandsons are NOT vaccinated.

Why not? , you ask.

Because they’re jackasses and, like I’ve said before, egotistical, think what they think, what they feel, what they want and that’s that.

At any rate, long story short, granddaughter is hosting Thanksgiving at the home she and hubby just closed on and, thinking about the safety of her unborn son, thinking about my not coming because of the boys’ non-vaccinated status, and the safety of others invited, the boys have been told they are not invited to Thanksgiving.

They gone be mad, but it's time they learned the world does not revolve around them.

So looks like I’ve another road trip, hotel stay, and meal planning session coming up, because I have to be so careful about what I eat.

It will also be my first time meeting the in-laws.

So, anyway, after that conversation with granddaughter, something urged me to check my Booster appointment.

I learned I’d had a senior moment and somehow not booked for tomorrow, but for a Friday in December.

The drugstore had no appointments for November.

So, maybe it wasn't my fault. Maybe I'd assumed I was booking in November, when the site actually had me in December.

No matter, I cancelled and scheduled for Saturday out-of-the area, at the location I’d had my other shots, and didn't have to go through the hoops required for the drugstore appointment.

Hopefully, I’ll not have a bad reaction and can drive myself back.

10 comments:

  1. That's good the unvaxxed were uninvited; unfortunate, but sensible for all of the rest concerned. Another nurse colleague, retired, and her hubby have been vaxxed. They still turned up positive last week. Bummer. They opted for the Regen infusion of antibodies. These new variants are REAL and mean, and even biting nice people.
    Hope the doggie and the neighbor are okay.
    Got my Moderna booster today. My PCP has a method to the madness: he gets 14 patients on a list needing the booster, THEN calls them in to get their shots. That way, no vaccines are wasted.
    Time to vote; can't remember if I did this morning. Will CNN come to my door if a try to vote two times in one day? Maybe a Trumpee declaring fraud. I'll find out. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. No, CNN will not come for you. The button won't move if you've already voted. It stays stuck on 10. Even though vaxxed, I still wear mask and carry wipes to keep hands clean because of some vaccinated turning up positive. Have to take advantage of EVERY precaution, not get laxed. How's it going so far with the booster ... any reaction? And thanks for voting.

      Delete
  2. I voted this afternoon. Didn't see the 10 stuck, so I must not have voted this morning. Yeah, I wear masks and double glove up the stairs to my lobby's mailbox, and of course at work. Our fast food folks and the window bank clerk even wear masks, so I do too. Arm is fine so far; not even sore when I push the spot. Might be tomorrow. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job on voting. I do that as well, not sure if I voted, I go back to see if button is stuck so know I did. I've got too much going on right now to have the same bad reaction I had to Shot 1 and Shot 2, so crossing my fingers on Booster.

      Delete
  3. 10 more votes. I think you should spend an extra minute on the treadmill for every vote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hopefully that will be a LOT of extra walking :-) Thanks for the votes!

      Delete
  4. Good for your granddaughter not wanting the unvaxxed around her pregnant self. I know there are still people refusing, and being uninvited to big gatherings is gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inasmuch as she's always been somewhat of enabler, making excuses for her brothers, I'm proud of her taking a stand on this.

      Delete
  5. Two of my best friends are not vaccinated and because we are all older even though they are talking about getting together, I don't think anyone will actually make the drive. I don't want to have to tell them I don't want to be around them in person. They are old enough to know they should have gotten a shot. Bummer though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That nervy on their part to be talking about getting together when they are not vaccinated. Maybe they are not the friends you think they are, having no concern for putting your life in danger like that.

      Delete