Thursday, November 4, 2021

Epiphany

While shopping at Home Depot today, I saw a lighted Christmas gift box that I thought would be a good addition to the other lighted gift boxes I’ll be setting out on the patio for Christmas.


It was going for $49 and, when I got to the register, the cashier said, “You can get this for free if you sign up for a Home Depot credit card”.

Whaaaaaaa?!

Can’t say I wasn’t tempted. Sounded like a generous incentive but, not wanting to take the time to do the paperwork, I paid cash for the item, along with my other purchases, and called it a day.

At Home Depot to purchase specific items, I had no business browsing the Christmas isle, but who can resist taking a hard left inside the doors to peruse all the cuteness.




Cute, but I'm not bringing into my unit things I don't need, things that don't serve a purpose.

At any rate, one of the items I walked out of Home Depot with was a 40 Watt light bulb, which is what online research indicated is what was needed to replace the burnt out bulb in the Frigidaire … the Frigidaire that I submitted a work order request for way back in early September, with five subsequent follow-ups since then to no avail.

You might think it ridiculous that I’m out buying a light bulb with plans to do the fix myself, and you’d be entirely correct but, after a conversation with another resident as to the Tyrant not responding to her requests, I had an epiphany.

That resident, from another quad, posed the question “What’s wrong with that guy?” to which I said, “Those are the exact same words I’ve expressed to others, because he’s not responding to my requests for repairs either … I’m beginning to think he’s just loco in la cabeza” — impressing her with my high school Spanish, causing her to LOL.

Thinking about that conversation later, I had an epiphany. That epiphany being that the Tyrant is getting a perverse pleasure out of being in control, being obstinate, knowing full well Corporate doesn’t care about our complaints, there’s nothing we can do but wait for his discretion.

I suppose if I paid homage to his overblown sense of self, cajoled him, kissed his arse, he’d get the guys up here to do their job, but that’s not my style — especially when it’s with someone who’s job it is to get it done without my sucking up.

Now that I understand what he’s playing at, it occurs to me that the way to handle him is to take his power away by bypassing him, not needing him.

I thought about hiring one of those handymen listed in flyers posted at the market but, upon googling how to put a replacement bulb in a Frigidaire, and WHERE in the refrigerator the light compartment was located, I realized it was so easy that, once I unplugged the refrigerator — so as to not electrocute myself, I could do it myself. So that’s why I was at Home Depot today.

Unfortunately, the 40-Watt is too large so, after tomorrow’s workout, I’ll be heading back to Home Depot — burnt out bulb in hand, return the 40-Watt, get help with matching the correct wattage and be done with fixing the Frigidaire.

Getting my hands on the correct size inside lateral blinds, and looking at how to install, is proving to be more daunting. So, I'm going at the Tyrant one more time.

The plan is to send him an email tomorrow saying that “since no one came up to take care of the refrigerator light, I got online, did research, figured out how to fix it myself. However, looking online at replacing the bedroom blinds is more daunting. If you give me the correct measurements to buy, I’ll be happy to see if I can find someone to install for me.”

That communication will either shame him into doing his job, or piss him off beyond belief and he’ll get even MORE obstinate.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

BTW: My color queen daughter (Twin 1) is a finalist for CNN Hero of the Year. If you could spare 30 seconds daily from now until December 7th by visiting CNN.com/heroes and casting 10 votes for her, it'd be a small way to help make a big impact for the local unhoused communities she serves.


Thank you in advance for voting.

24 comments:

  1. Ok, ask the nicer dude at the Home Depot for an appliance light bulb, not just a regular bulb. The base and bulb should be the correct size. When replacing my oven light bulb, they seemed to be pretty standard.
    Beautiful daughter! Something pleasant to vote for! Yeah! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope I can find a "nicer dude", LOL. Daughter started out in the top 100, now she's in the top 10. It's hard dangerous work she does, but someone's got to do it.

      Delete
    2. Saw your daughter's CNN bio. She is a beautiful gal with extra, extra energy; seems like she just doesn't stop helping folks! First votes submitted to her! Hooray! Linda in Kansas

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much. Every vote gets her closer to being able to give more to that often overlooked community.

      Delete
  2. You know I will lend my support to your daughter!!!! And why does it not surprise me she is so chic???

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're in Home Depot enough you get 5% of everything with their credit card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't purchase enough from HD to justify the card with 5% off.

      Delete
  4. Three things:
    It's too early for Christmas shiz. Let me have a Turkey day first, BUT ...

    I'd have filled out the paperwork to save $49!!

    Lastly .... of to cast my vote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. That's too funny that I influenced you to get a HD card. When the time comes, I'll post a pic on the blog of my boxes in place and please let us see your matching boxes in place. Thanks so much for "casting a damn vote" :-)

      Delete
  5. I voted!
    I hope the tyrant fixes your blinds. Not exactly working hard, is he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More like Hardly Working. Thanks for voting. Please don't hesitate to vote every day until voting closes on the 7th :-)

      Delete
  6. well I at least got to vote somewhere since I could no longer vote in VA or my new home of NC. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your vote. Better not let your toxic neighbors know you voted for a Black person. LOL.

      Delete
  7. Your daughter does amazing work - you must be very proud. It always stuns me that our countries have homeless people - how is that possible when there is so much affluence around. People live in houses worth millions and turn their eyes away from those on the street. You do what you can but it feels like a drop in the ocean. Hope I can vote from over here 🤞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can vote as well, but if you can't, it's the thought that counts. I'd like to say I'm proud, but what I am is constantly worried because Skid Row is dangerous.

      Delete
  8. Im popped over from Abby's blog as I always love your comments there. What a great blog you have. I can't decide if I love or hate those cactus Christmas plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there LL. Glad you like what you see here. I've popped into your blog off/on for some time. I guess that makes me a lurker. It's probably the eyes on the cactus that gives you pause :-)

      Delete
  9. Voted! I love what your daughter is doing. She truly is a hero. I’d seen her on tv but didn’t know she was your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so nice about your daughter. I'll def vote. The refrigerator bulb is a bit smaller. I'm sure they can lead you to the right one.

    ReplyDelete