Monday, November 8, 2021

Not Enough Weekend

There is just not enough weekend in the weekend, even though I gained an hour.

Busy organizing photos and supplies for catching up on Scrapbooking, busy looking at fabric prints online for the backside of the baby quilt, not to mention going back/forth to Home Depot and putting in time on my needlepoint project, the weekend was gone before I knew it and now it’s back to being interrupted from crafting by taking time to do outside things.

Granddaughter’s gender reveal was Saturday. She posted photos to Instagram of her braids dyed BLUE.


So, my feeling a girl was incorrect. I was glad I had the good sense to not order that backing which was heavy with pink.

I’ve actually decided not to use that original fabric for the quilt after all, because I ran across a fabric panel that reminded me that granddaughter has always loved unicorns and, like her mom (Twin 1), is fond of coloring her hair in rainbow colors. So, when I saw fabric, with a unicorn, wearing rainbow colors in it’s hair, it was too perfect to pass up. I also found a unicorn backing fabric that I thought fit well.


Granddaughter is the nostalgic type. She still has the
doll, now missing body parts and hair and clothes, that I made for her when she was 3 or 4 years old. Consequently, a handmade quilt in her hands will turn into a family heirloom.

Years from now when I'm gone, I don’t want any confusion as to which GG made the quilt, so  I ordered a label to sew into the quilt that says "Made for You by Black GG".

I won’t be making quilts when the grandsons start their families, because they are not the type to appreciate a handmade quilt. I can’t imagine the type of women these boys are likely to attract, which I suspect will be ghetto girls, nice but in a hood rat type of way, will be interested in quilts either. 

Their baby gifts — which I hope will not be soon because the boys are not ready to start families, will be whatever they request … within reason.

16 comments:

  1. The unicorn fabric was a great find.

    I still have a hand crocheted afghan that my mother made for me when I was a kid, waaaaaay back in the last century and I treat it like an heirloom.
    But then I'm also a homosexual! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Love the blue braids and Pop's red beard. That quilt will mean alot to the Mom: totally cool. Your strategy for other offspring is interesting as planned. I've noticed guys date different types of women than the ones they choose to marry. Your scrapbook may take a different path then? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to think about "guys dating different types of women than the ones they marry" because I don't see that. What I see with the grandsons is that their world is so small, their thinking and awareness so limited because their egos are in the way ... what they think a man is supposed to be/do, how they think they know it all when they haven't a clue, will attract women who's world is just as small as theirs is.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Too bad the boys can't see what I see, say and know.

      Delete
  3. Oh a boy, congrats!
    I'm sure they will love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just what we need in this family, more testosterone ;-|

      Delete
  4. A great-grandson! Congratulations, and I love the unicorn fabric and the idea of a label :). Both parents look excited, when is she due?
    None of my sons is currently dating anyone, let alone making babies... that I know of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't asked due date. She says she's in her 2nd trimester. Even though I'm a mom, have experienced being preggers, I have no idea what that means. LOL.

      Delete
  5. Congrats to granddaughter and you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It'll be all fun and games for them with so much family support.

      Delete
  6. I love the unicorn fabric. Perfect for a baby blanket and especially for that granddaughter. How fun to have a new baby in the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having not had a baby in this family for eons, a new baby is certainly going to be interesting.

      Delete