Thursday, August 20, 2020

Death by Chocolate


That trip out of the area to pick up a gift from Sprouts led me down an unhealthy side trip.
Remembering that, last time I checked to see if and when See’s Candy Store was to reopen, I learned it’s open already ─ but to online orders only.
Jonesing for See’s for some time, and since my trip back to the complex from Sprouts was going to take me within a block of See’s, I decided to see how online worked.
The way it worked was I couldn’t say give me two of this, two of that and end up with a small manageable bag of candies. Instead, in order to get the candies I prefer, I had to order a custom mix box, the smallest box being one pound.
Me with a one pound box of candy is suicide the hard way, but what the heck. My gut has been acting up for no reason at all. I might as well give it a reason. I placed my order and, while getting dressed to head out, wondered how long it would take to get notification ready for pick up.
Didn’t take long at all. Pick up notification came while I was still getting dressed.
First on my list of errands was to drive past the closest Sprouts to the furthest because that’s where I saw a bottle of Snoop Dogg’s 19 Crimes ─ a wine Snoop put out for the summer. They might have had it at the closest Sprouts as well, but I didn’t want to take a chance of aggravating myself if they did not, so I drove a few miles further out of the area to where I knew it was in stock.
It was the eye-catching photo on the label that grabbed my attention, but I didn’t think to purchase it as a gift for Twin 1 ─ the drinker in the family, until I was back at the complex. Thus, having to drive all the way back today, but I got it.


A bottle for Twin 1, a souvenir bottle for my non-drinking self.
Now I’ve got to go online and research the best way to preserve a bottle of wine because I won’t be delivering to Twin 1 until it’s safe for me to travel and be around people again, or safe for people to visit me.
Before stopping off at See’s to pick up that box, I gassed up the car and what a joy it was not to have long lines at the Costco gas pump now that so few of us have to gas up. Same with the craft store.
I’ve not been inside a craft store since the pandemic began but, when driving away from the gas station, I passed the craft store and saw no line outside, I parked and walked right in to pick up two floss colors that were getting low. There was a third color. They didn’t have it in stock, but I can easily order online from another source.
Though it was nice to be able to shop instore again ─ and there were only seven other customers, I felt icky and unsafe because staff did not sanitize the carts. A fact I realized after I began walking with the cart and noticed that as a customer exited, placed her cart back in place, the next person to enter would get that unsanitary cart ─ like I probably got the cart used by the last customer to place it there.
I thought of abandoning the cart, returning to the car and disinfecting my hands with the wipes I keep there, coming back in and wiping a cart down myself but decided it best not to walk in, shortly walk out, turn around and walk back in ... because of the optics.
When one is Black, one must ALWAYS be aware of the optics.
Having experienced store employees eye me suspiciously for no reason at all ─ just because I was me; that time a security guard went from leaning casually up against a wall to standing at attention when I walked into a clothing store, then glaring at me, never taking his eyes off me as I shopped; the time I spotted security up high on a staircase, looking down, watching me as I sat outside the store, looking through purchases; the time security followed me at a craft show; and multiple other instances of shopping while Black, including the security guard at Best Buy last year/year before. It’s maddening, it’s frustrating, insulting, but it’s something I’ve learned to live with and minimize, as best I can, by doing nothing to draw further attention to myself. I carry no bags inside, wear a fanny pack instead so it’s obvious I don’t have anything to stuff other things into, and I wear tight fitting clothing ─ leggings and athletic top, to make it also obvious I’ve no place to stash anything.
It doesn’t always help to avoid being profiled, still I’m conditioned to always being aware of the optics. To try not to do anything that looks remotely suspicious. Something I wish the younger generation would be more aware of instead of saying to hell with the optics, expecting Karens, Kens, stupid cops to change and, instead, getting themselves roughed up, shot, killed.
Like that fool walking around Walmart with a toy rifle he’d picked up from one of the shelves. A customer called the cops, thinking the rifle was real because ... you know ... Black guy. He ended up shot dead while shopping by responding cops.
I’m not saying getting killed was his fault ─ though Kahlil Gibran does say in The Prophet that “the murdered is not unaccountable for his own murder”, but it kinda was his fault because, as a person of color, you have to know when to hold ‘em, when to fold ‘em, when to put the toy rifle in a cart ─ take the optics into consideration, because you can’t change other people’s perceptions. One just has to be aware others do have these perceptions, be cautious of where one goes, and what one does once one gets there.
Walking in, walking out of the craft store to get wipes from the car, would have looked suspicious. So, I toughed out the icky feeling and cleaned up with wipes when I finished shopping and got to the car.
But don’t think for one minute that I didn’t go online, look up the store’s facebook page and put the unsanitary unsafe conditions on blast.
After the craft store, it was off to my last stop ─ See’s.
Nothing to complain about there. I didn’t have to fight the usual ton of traffic entering the shopping center, and was able to park up close to the entrance.
Access to the store was blocked off.


I stood at the roped off area, a worker came out, took my name, went back in and retrieved my order. Easy peasy.
It was coffee and candy for lunch and yes, I did get sick, but I’m still breathing. Probably because I didn’t scarf down the entire box. Ate just a few pieces and put the remainder in the freezer for when I next crave chocolate ... or for when I wake up the day after election to learn 45 did actually cheat his way into another four years. After which, I'll off myself by drinking that bottle of wine and ingesting all the remaining chocolates.

16 comments:

  1. I am white but also careful about optics. I have taken a skirt into Goodwill to see if I could match the unusual coloring and I have taken a doll to see if it would fit in a doll chair I saw. I march boldly in and talk to the first employee or go to the check out desk from behind and tell them what I am planning to do. Dad was a career policeman so I am cautious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a recent incident where a 68 year old mother and her son did exactly that. Cleared their intentions with an employee when they couldn’t fit a TV they’d just purchased into their SUV and said they’d come back to pick up later. The son, coming back with his receipt, was accused of trying to steal the TV and, even though, the employee stepped in and confirmed it was purchased, the episode ended up with the mother and son being beaten by four cops, arrested, their purchased items confiscated, their car towed away. The moral of this story is that, even when we are careful of the optics, some of us can't catch a break.

      Delete
  2. I remember that incident with the TV. The employee confirmation should have end it. The receipt should have ended it.

    The one time I remember being profiled was at our local science center. I hadn't been there recently so I stopped in just to see what was new. It was school day at the science center. It was me, an adult male, in the middle of 500 grade school kids. I was not having fun. Then I noticed I was being tailed by a security guard. I thought, really? So I just stopped and stared at him. That lasted about 30 seconds when he decided to move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awkward! You chose the wrong day to visit the science center. Probably profiled you as intending to steal a child. Probably also continued to watch you on camera after you chased the guard away. And yes, the receipt should have ended it. But not even the receipt AND employee's confirmation ended it. The mom and son are suing of course. I hope they're suing the cops individually and win a boat load of cash.

      Delete
  3. see's candy - YUM! and I would try the snoop dog wine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, let me know how it is. Friends are asking me and I'm not planning to drink it and, even if I did, not being a wine aficionado, I wouldn't know how to judge the taste.

      Delete
  4. Everybody has got to die from something....personally I think chocolate wouldn't be a bad way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love See's. Good way to off yourself I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that my readers "get me" and have a sense of humor.

      Delete
    2. Of course we do!
      A sense of humor makes life really worth living.

      Reckon I was naive ( or too white, actually I am a WASP) to worry in Goodwill. I have always lived in a 90% white community.

      Delete
    3. You're fine. I always appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  6. My diabetic self will join you for the wine and chocolate if (not when) he wins re-election. I'd rather go out in a blaze of sugar than suffer through another four years. And I think you are right about the visuals. I wish all these youngsters of any color would take it to heart. Better to get thrown in jail than shot. Better to be understanding of others than think you and your 1% are the only ones that count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's looking like I'll have to purchase another box for that wine and chocolate self-destruct if 45 wins again, cause chocolate in the fridge kept calling my name, I answered the call and poof ... the box is empty.

      Delete
  7. It is a shame that we have to consider the Optics at all in what should be a progressive Modern Society. The Grandson, because he has Colorful Hairstyle and Facial Piercings, was often profiled. He did feel he had more control over those 'personal choices' he made than someone whose being profiled over superficial things they did not choose, such as the bodies they're born in. I've only had one humorous confrontation when an elderly White Couple in a McDonalds of a Retirement Community took issue with my Dreadlocks I suppose, asking me what I was doing at THEIR McDonalds!? They had confronted my Grandson inside {I was in the parking lot waiting for him to get a take-out order}... and they sped off when I pretended to be offended and said, "Oh Hell No!" and unbuckled my seatbelt like I might get out and drag them out of the vehicle! Hilarious, but it is offensive, these Karen/Ken Types are so rude, ignorant and biased against so many... I'm glad many of them are now being put on Blast on Social Media... for being so self-absorbed and self-righteous. Mebbe some day our Species can evolve past this superficial nonsense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visualizing the old couple speeding off when you made like you were going to do something is hilarious. All these Karens and Kens have been lucky, thus far, that they haven't gotten a beat down. People should just learn to keep their preconceived notions to themselves, leave other people alone, mind their own business.

      Delete