Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Time on My Hands?

With no place to go, nothing to do except needlepoint, playing PokémonGo from my unit ─ don’t even have to get off the couch and GO to do so, Candy Crush and Alphabet Saga on the laptop, trying to catch up on recorded TV programs, I still find myself falling behind on to-do’s.
I’ve Woman’s World magazines backed up from October of last year, I’ve fallen behind on books to be read ─ having yet to finish Walter Mosley’s Trouble is What I Do with a new one (Blood Grove) due to release in February.



It seems being forced inside due to the pandemic ─ minimal distractions, while others are struggling with the boredom of it all, I myself am experiencing a lack of time on my hands ─ not enough hours in a day.
Prime videos are not being viewed, though the heat woke me up super early this morning and, instead of putting in a few hours on that more pressing needlepoint project ─ which I’m hoping to finish by Christmas, I logged on and viewed Anatomy of a Ballet Dancer, a documentary on Marcelo Gomes, which was worth syphoning off time from the more pressing to-do’s.


You wouldn’t believe it ─ black woman, braids, into country western music, line dancing, but I’ve been fascinated with ballet since childhood. Not that I ever wanted to dance ballet, I’ve just always been fascinated with the artistry and beauty of it and, of course, have read about and followed Misty Copeland’s career.
In fact, little known fact  I don't think even a fact my family knows as none of them really know me, who I am as a person, but I love not just ballet but opera. Took operatic singing lessons in my early teens. Also took piano and violin. Didn't keep up with any of those pursuits, for one reason or another, but wish I had.
Since it seems I’m never going to catch up on recorded TV programs, with new ones to be recorded ─ such as Big Brother and the upcoming Fargo, I’m going to have to make decisions about what’s important to view, what is not.
For instance, today I’m going to delete Worst Cooks in America, because that series is over and a winner announced already.
Hell’s Kitchen is still in production, but I’m pretty much done with Chef Gordon Ramsey yelling at folks, so I’ll delete all those.
I don’t know if Barskins, “the story of indentured servants transported from Paris to the wilds of New France in 1693 to clear the lands”, finished Season 1 or just went off the air, but I can delete those as I’ve lost interest.
I’ve just about completed viewing all the episodes of Murdock Mysteries and am so hooked on that series that I’m anxiously waiting what’s next with him.
With all those deletes, that will clear up my to-view’s for newer shows. The reading isn’t likely to be caught up until after I complete the needlepoint project, at which time I’ll be an entire year behind in Woman’s World reading and books up the ying-yang.
It’s too hot to go outside today, but I passed up on an item that called my name last time I was at Sprouts ─ not something for myself, but something I know someone else would love. The item won’t let go, so I’ve got to take a drive out that way to pick it up.
Oh, and by the way, I am not watching the convention and I’m staying away from anything having to do with the election because it’s just all too upsetting ─ all the things No. 45 and his minions are doing to cheat their way into another four years.
Wake me when all is said and done. Wake me when it’s over.

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes I think the things we're drawn to are Mysterious too, as if perhaps in another Life? The draw I have to some things aren't anything I can explain and other things I can do without being taught or shown how to, as if I already knew how to do them instinctively. We too have a lot to do around here so I could keep busy until Spring if I concentrate on my Projects and see them thru to completion. With having just moved in here before Pandemic hit full force, we dodged that bullet and then Pandemic almost became a distraction to enjoying our new Home properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right about bringing in from another life. Some of the things I know without knowing how I know, my eclectic interests, able to engage people of all ages, all backgrounds, some of the dreams I've had of another time can only be explained as deja vue ... been there done that learned that experienced that in a past life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Chef Gordon Ramsey yelling at folks." After I saw the commercials for this show I wanted to punch him in the face. Never watched it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I managed to stomach it for so long. He's a lot to take. I even stopped watching Master Chef because of my distaste of him.

      Delete
  4. I am trying to ignore everything about the election and just make sure I vote. The build up before is bad every time and this year it is going to be unbearable. I feel lucky to live in a blue state.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched the Convention and it was interesting but I am really worried about Social Security. I am really afraid he is going to bleed the coffers dry and then reduce our checks. Time will tell. I watched Barkskins and thought it was a pretty good period piece that we haven't seen before. I also think the new Fargo looks like it will be good. I wonder if the old series we watched will pick up where they left off or if they will start all over with new series. It has been so hot here that Buddy and I have barely walked down the sidewalk before we come back. I miss my nice walks around the neighborhood. They are offering a lot of virtual exercise classes from the little gyms around here. Maybe the pain clinic could do some virtual with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already deleted the Barkskins, lost interest after the first two episodes. It does look like Fargo will be a whole new show, but it's always a good view. I was working out on the indoor bike but it's been so hot lately that even inside, with the AC, working out is unbearable. Pain Cave has been told he can have clients work outside. Put up one of those tent like things. We'll see how it goes. I'm worried about social security as well. Worried that 45 will raid it before he leaves or cheat his way to another four years and raid it at leisure.

      Delete